Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

It wasn't our best game. Matic gave you a goal, he felt nervous for the rest of the game. Garay and Luisão were a bit slow.Gaitán was pretty good, but missed two straight goals, that would finish the game.

You guys had some bad luck in Lisbon, but tonight we also had.

Really like Ben Arfa, Sissoko and Cissé. Luisão was busy the entire match, damn.

Your goalkeepers kicking is the worst I've ever saw at SJP :lol:

Guest Open_C

Your goalkeepers kicking is the worst I've ever saw at SJP :lol:

Worse than Krul's :lol:  He was properly rattled between about 70 and 80 minutes, couldn't put it anywhere useful.

Just got back and thought it was a great match.

Yes we sat back in the first half, but if it wasn't for Cisse's understanding of the offside rule we might have went into the break 1-0 up. As others have said, we had them on the ropes for a lot of the second half. I noticed when Benfica started to slow-play and time waste early in the second half afterwhich we turned to clocks off around the ground - it seemed to have the desired effect. When Benfica scored at the end there was an amazing reaction from the fans when we all started to cheer the toon to try and lift them....we knew it was over but it was more to try and lift the players, I hope they appreciated it!

Oh and to the pissed-up charver cunt who was shouting all sorts of stupid shit like 'break his fucking legs'...next time I'll do more than nudge you and call you an arsehole when you walk past me...as it was you seemed to drop your balls when my lass shouted at you to 'move the fuck along'! lol....but apart from the odd one who tries to spoil it for everyone else, a top night!

Guest Zlatan

Yes, that is true. Artur is a very calm and safe keeper, he is always in a zen mode. He has saved us many times, I feel secure with him, but playing with his feet... terrible. My heart stops everytime.

Enjoyed tonight. Strangely satisfied with losing - felt we went for it and just couldn't do it. Good luck Benfica, hope they win it. One of the biggest away crowds from Europe I've seen here, put some PL ones to shame. :thup:  (Also, I like the flares)

And europe's great man, can't be arsed with the shit the Europa gets. It's flawed, but I love being in it, it's really something special from the PL.

Guest Zlatan

Thank you all for your nice words, we also really want to win this  :)

It was a pleasure. Wish you the best, hang in there!

Having just read the last 10 pages or so, I must say I'm surprised by the reaction to our performance. I thought we tried hard for all the 2nd half, we just couldn't get past them for a while. Ben Arfa & Marveaux changed the game. Was really happy when we went for 2 up front, made us MUCH more threatening. I just think we're so predictable and fruitless when its Cisse on his own.

Chris Ford ‏@ChrisFordTV 7m

Enjoyed the European ride with NUFC.  I thought the spontaneous applause after Benfica goal tonight was a moment of true class.

This is true, had a lump in my throat.

:thup:

Absolutely great moment.

Enjoyed the European ride with NUFC.  I thought the spontaneous applause after Benfica goal tonight was a moment of true class.

Absolutely great moment.

Yeah.. Heads held high, amazing fans amazing club

FAO Benfica fans:

Who is the old man with dyed long black hair and a dyed long beard who is one of your supporters? He was sitting near me and was treated like a celebrity with photos being taken with him constantly

FAO Benfica fans:

Who is the old man with dyed long black hair and a dyed long beard who is one of your supporters? He was sitting near me and was treated like a celebrity with photos being taken with him constantly

This is Barbas. It means beard. A known Benfica supporter.

FAO Benfica fans:

Barbas. He owns a restaurant very famous among the club and players, and supports the team everywhere we go.

http://www.ionline.pt/adjuntos/102/imagenes/000/045/0000045387.jpg

Absolutely great moment.

I agree, the whole stadium stood up and starting singing.....while the players slowly walked back to the halfway line with there heads dropped, you could tell they were totally gutted.....Hopefully it picked them up for the weekend!

Absolutely great moment.

I agree, the whole stadium stood up and starting singing.....while the players slowly walked back to the halfway line with there heads dropped, you could tell they were totally gutted.....Hopefully it picked them up for the weekend!

Think it was just appreciation for the effort as much as anything, a nice little slice of defiance in the face of yet another disappointment.

Sounds corny but I hope some of the players had a look around during those few seconds and appreciated where they're playing their football.

That moment and the second half I was absolutely proud to be a Newcastle fan, atmosphere was spot, couldn't ask for me where I was. Pro us & at last no mackem songs, superb. Constant noise for the last 20 mins which got louder when they scored.

It's total glorious failure but it has to be done.

Absolutely unreal atmosphere at times tonight. The Gallowgate was bouncing. I was shaking at times it was that intense. With a full strength team out I think we beat these over two legs. Fair play to them though. Props to Williamson for a solid performance too.

Atmosphere in the stadium was electric at times tonight, I'm just gutted we didn't get the all important goal. Cisse was so unlucky, I've nearly lost my voice

So tired now and still annoyed but I can't wait for the mackems game

Guest firetotheworks

I applauded them but we were too shit for too long abd the game plan was so fucking negative. Basically, win late because we're scared of them scoring. We should have battered them earlier and scared the shit out of them. Annoyed more than proud. Underdog bullshit.