Alan Pardew

Mike

FOOTBALL – After 36 matches of this Premier League season, Newcastle United have taken 25 points fewer than they did from the same 36 fixtures last season when they finished fifth. Declining so much from one season to the next is relatively rare and has only occurred 15 times in the past 31 seasons and just once since 1995/1996.

Perhaps not surprisingly, eight of the clubs whose points total declined so much were relegated that season. The other seven had all finished in the top five the previous season but this is not necessarily enough as Ipswich Town found in 2001/2002 when they went down a season after finishing fifth.

If Newcastle United join this group at the end of the season, they will be the third team, after Leeds United and Ipswich Town, to have suffered such a decline more than once. The Magpies were relegated 24 years ago, a season after finishing eighth in Division One with 56 points. Their decline of 25 points left them bottom of the league a season later.

In a week where the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson has made big news, one further point arises from the table below. Manchester United’s points total fell from 81 to 51 in Ferguson’s second full season in charge. A season later, United dropped a further three points and two more places to 13th on 48 points. At that moment, Ferguson had won nothing at United although the 1990 FA Cup was won a week later. In 1991, United rose to sixth position and they never again finished outside the top three in the subsequent 22 seasons.

http://media.tumblr.com/f107b165741c7a1f6ac176a724dbdc5f/tumblr_inline_mmlce16Bkb1qz4rgp.jpg

http://infostradalive.com/post/50236186401/analyse-this-newcastle-united-on-target-for-one-of

In the end we got one more point so fell just shy of the top 15 by dropping 24 in total.

The last paragraph on Fergie is noteworthy though.  A 30 point decline was worse than Pardew's.

It would be if we had a man of his calibre in charge.

The old Fergie/Moyes straw man argument again.

Do we get paid for using this phrase or something? I've genuinely never heard it used outside this site.

:D

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cspg/electionacademy/images/inigo_montoya.jpeg

Why do you think the paragraph on Fergie is noteworthy?

Because he did worse than Pardew in season 2.

Aye but are you implying anything else, or that the situations are somehow comparable beyond the inconsequential coincidence you pointed out?

Bear in mind you are posting on a Newcastle United forum and in the Alan Pardew thread.

Why do you think the paragraph on Fergie is noteworthy?

Because he did worse than Pardew in season 2.

Aye but are you implying anything else, or that the situations are somehow comparable?

Bear in mind you are posting on a Newcastle United forum and in the Alan Pardew thread.

...about the drop in points that almost put Pardew in the top 15 for managers who drop points.

None of the others are noteworthy because they were all shit managers who went on to do fuck all.  The Fergie one is the ONLY noteworthy one in the list.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbh, I wouldn't count 8th as 'bouncing back' considering an extra 3 wins would have got us to 8th this season. Unless those 3 wins were all after January, it still would have been an atrocious season.

Tbh, I wouldn't count 8th as 'bouncing back' considering an extra 3 wins would have got us to 8th this season. Unless those 3 wins were all after January, it still would have been an atrocious season.

Just depends how we play for me, if we finish 8th after a generally encouraging season of performances then it's miles better than just scraping three more wins.

Oh right, fair enough. Thought you might have been implying more than just that.

I think all you can take from it is that Man U fans were more justified in calling for his head. 

They had Howard Kendall waiting in the wings, a proven manager of high quality and had given Fergie millions to spend on the likes of Hughes, Ince, Pallister, Webb and Wallace.  He broke the club record transfer fee twice in that time.

EDIT:  And that even great managers blame injuries...

Ferguson later revealed that the board of directors had assured him that they were not considering dismissing him. Although naturally disappointed with the lack of success in the league, they understood the reasons for the sub-standard results (namely the absence of several key players due to injury) and were pleased with the way that Ferguson had reorganised the club's coaching and scouting system.

:aww:

Just depends how we play for me, if we finish 8th after a generally encouraging season of performances then it's miles better than just scraping three more wins.

Where we finish is obviously important, but for me I'd like to see some coherence in our player recruitment and playing style. Once everyone is on the same page I think there will be a far better chance of progress as a club. Finishing 8th or 14th doesn't really mean that much in itself since as it has been pointed out a couple of results one way or another can make a massive difference in the final reckoning. Which is why I think stats are only so useful.

Where we finish is obviously important, but for me I'd like to see some coherence in our player recruitment and playing style. Once everyone is on the same page I think there will be a far better chance of progress as a club. Finishing 8th or 14th doesn't really mean that much in itself since as it has been pointed out a couple of results one way or another can make a massive difference in the final reckoning. Which is why I think stats are only so useful.

Yep, agreed, if we're clearly all moving forward in the same direction then I won't worry about exact league position. If that did happen then hopefully it would lead to a higher finish anyway.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/gallery/2005/06/09/Pardew6-toe.jpg

Comments from Pardew 1 year ago:

"I’m hoping that I will educate our fans for next season.

"If they think we can finish fifth with a European campaign and the finances we’ve got, it’s impossible. I honestly believe that you need to be a bit more open with the fans. The problem some managers have is they’re not open enough.

"This year, I’m sure we’ll say something like, ‘We’re looking for a top-eight finish, hopefully attack one of the cups and have a great run in Europe. I wouldn’t say we couldn’t challenge for the top six if we got knocked out of Europe. Then we wouldn’t have those extra 13 games."

After a desperately disappointing domestic campaign that saw them finish 18th in the Barclay’s Premier League standings – 13 places below last season – the pair, alongside managing director Derek Llambias, agreed to sit down and discuss a route forward for the club that will see them back challenging at the upper reaches of the division.

Maria Hudd in The Independent, probably doesn't know the offside rule either.

You make it sound like an extra 3 wins is nothing, that's 9 points, that is going to lift you up a fair deal no matter what position you are in. Yes the football we have played has been shocking, mainly second half performances however. I don't believe for a single second this was all Pardew's fault, not totally anyways like people say. Going on like he’s telling us to put 9 men behind the ball and hoof to Cisse when given the chance simply because we’ve won the first half 1-0 or whatever. Utter nonsense. I think it was plain to see the players struggled to cope with the pressure and with confidence very low after the abysmal season, resulted in us not taking the game back to the opposition once things started to go in the oppositions favour. No doubt Pardew takes a large share of the blame as well, he should be able to instil a belief back in the players, he should be making his changes at better times, with better choice of personnel but not for one second do i believe he’s cost us all these dreadful second half performances due to his half time team talks simply being, lets defend for our lives and don’t go forward. I can certainly see us putting up a very different show next season and might even surprise one or two in a positive way. But time will tell.

My mate sent me a message on facebook earlier sounding pretty confident he was going, that it was all over twitter. I haven't heard that much though and seems nothing more than basic rumours.

rumours originating with dear colin so disregard