Alan Pardew

Mike

Never got to see the game, only the highlights on MOTD or GOS but they seemed to lean towards Liverpool.

If someone said to me "would you take 4 points from cardiff and liverpool games?"  Yes, I would have been snapping their hand off.

The only stick in the neck result was Hull at home.  If we had of won or drew that game we would have been hitting a good points total from those games played so far.

I still dont like Pardew but he has picked the team up of recent. Lets see what happens in chicken town this sunday coming.

Game was nothing like the MOTD highlights they massively weighted it to look like we were clinging on

Yup, thats what it looked like.

Guest neesy111

Yeah most of the headlines seem to imply we'd rescued a point - despite Liverpool never taking the lead.

Was only the last 10 minutes that they looked to have the 1 man advantage.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Yeah most of the headlines seem to imply we'd rescued a point - despite Liverpool never taking the lead.

Was only the last 10 minutes that they looked to have the 1 man advantage.

Yeh and we were still trying to win the game until late on - to be fair I don't think we had much option.

He has done better this season and to deny it is just a bit churlish imo.  Despite some of the shite performances (everton 1st half etc) we have been keeping the ball on the deck and at least trying to play decent football.  We've looked more organised and coherent and like we have some kind of game plan.  I still don't think he's good enough for this club or the man to take us forward but he should get credit for the improvements we've seen this season so far.

It depends on whether he can adapt to different challenges which will tell us far more about him than a couple of good performances. Two seasons ago he stumbled on a winning formula and it got us to 5th. The last season when the wonder goals dried up he didn't have a clue. Yes we are playing football from the back now, but it's took him two years to realise it's the way to go. More importantly, how is someone who has constantly made errors in judgement, suddenly going to become a shrewd manager?

Never got to see the game, only the highlights on MOTD or GOS but they seemed to lean towards Liverpool.

If someone said to me "would you take 4 points from cardiff and liverpool games?"  Yes, I would have been snapping their hand off.

The only stick in the neck result was Hull at home.  If we had of won or drew that game we would have been hitting a good points total from those games played so far.

I still dont like Pardew but he has picked the team up of recent. Lets see what happens in chicken town this sunday coming.

It's still really tight margins.  Given the start we had last year that's what I would expect too.  The only results we've had that have gone differently so far have been to pick up draws off Liverpool and West Ham where we lost last year and to lose away to Everton where we drew in 12/13.

The real show of whether Pardew will improve on last season will come in November/December.  We lost 8 out of 11 in that period last year.  He cannot afford a similar mid-season run like that this time around.

Chelsea (H)

Tottenham Hotspur (A)

Norwich City (H)

West Bromwich Albion (H)

Swansea City (A)

Manchester United (A)

Southampton (H)

Crystal Palace (A)

Stoke City (H)

Arsenal (H)

Those Green games should see us much better placed Come January 2014 than in January 2013.

It's still really tight margins.  Given the start we had last year that's what I would expect too.  The only results we've had that have gone differently so far have been to pick up draws off Liverpool and West Ham where we lost last year and to lose away to Everton where we drew in 12/13.

The real show of whether Pardew will improve on last season will come in November/December.  We lost 8 out of 11 in that period last year.  He cannot afford a similar mid-season run like that this time around.

Chelsea (H)

Tottenham Hotspur (A)

Norwich City (H)

West Bromwich Albion (H)

Swansea City (A)

Manchester United (A)

Southampton (H)

Crystal Palace (A)

Stoke City (H)

Arsenal (H)

Those Green games should see us much better placed Come January 2014 than in January 2013.

Yep, i can agree with that but still some tough home fixtures.  West brom and Southampton are no longer league fodder, you never know what you get with Stoke.

The commentator on MOTD even questioned whether or not our second goal should of stood.

Heard nothing in the media about us, just been going on about Gerrard constantly. Almost as if we weren't there.

That was mad when Williamson clearly never got a touch, before you even ask if Dummet was beyond the last man.

How many times have we had a great 45 mins only for the opposition manager to make a few changes and we're suddenly on the floor with Pards scratching his head wondering what happened? How do you learn from those sort of mistakes?

The commentator on MOTD even questioned whether or not our second goal should of stood.

Heard nothing in the media about us, just been going on about Gerrard constantly. Almost as if we weren't there.

S'hampton are one of the best teams in the league atm.

How many times have we had a great 45 mins only for the opposition manager to make a few changes and we're suddenly on the floor with Pards scratching his head wondering what happened? How do you learn from those sort of mistakes?

If I saw the game turning and looked at a bench to see Obertan, Amalfitano, Abeid and 2 Ameobi's looking back I'd probably have no idea where to start either :D

If I saw the game turning and looked at a bench to see Obertan, Amalfitano, Abeid and 2 Ameobi's looking back I'd probably have no idea where to start either :D

Back to the players aren't good enough then are we?  :snod:

First team is good enough, squad never has been.  We need great fortune to have any chance of a canny season.  Here we are with Dummet and Williamson potentially our starting CBs for the Mackems with no cover on the bench.

First team is good enough, squad never has been.  We need great fortune to have any chance of a canny season.  Here we are with Dummet and Williamson potentially our starting CBs for the Mackems with no cover on the bench.

It should be pointed out here that Pardew has little or no say in the numbers or make up of the squad...thats down to others..

First team is good enough, squad never has been.  We need great fortune to have any chance of a canny season. Here we are with Dummet and Williamson potentially our starting CBs for the Mackems with no cover on the bench.

Really not sure how Tron can argue against that. Hell, Williamson wasn't even training before the Liverpool game.

Saying that, barring any further knocks, Pardew seems pretty certain it'll be Taylor and Williamson pairing up on Sunday.

That's because our two starting CB's are both out, I think most teams would struggle with that. Even then we'll have Williamson and Taylor as cover and they are hardly the worst CB's to have at 3rd and 4th choice so it doesn't really back up your point about not having cover.

That's because our two starting CB's are both out, I think most teams would struggle with that. Even then we'll have Williamson and Taylor as cover and they are hardly the worst CB's to have at 3rd and 4th choice so it doesn't really back up your point about not having cover.

I was thinking this too. There aren't many teams, even in the top 4-6, who would be able to call on another two CBs as good as there first choice.

Taylor and Williamson are both rotten.

Especially against the mackems, Taylor is even more of a liability.

They might be better than 3rd and 4th choice of a few teams, but not many in the top half.

This the same Steven Taylor that was called up into the England squad earlier this year? He is many things,  but rotten isnt one of them.

They might be better than 3rd and 4th choice of a few teams, but not many in the top half.

This the same Steven Taylor that was called up into the England squad earlier this year? He is many things,  but rotten isnt one of them.

He's almost as good as Carlton Palmer then eh? Except Carlton got a game for England.

He's almost as good as Carlton Palmer then eh? Except Carlton got a game for England.

Would you swap Taylor and Williamson for 3rd and 4th choice from any team bar Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool?