Alan Pardew

Mike

We were lucky that Norwich were s***. The two are connected, not separate.

So now we were lucky against Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Norwich. Sure everytime we get a good result we are just ruled as lucky. We must be second in the form table on sheer luck.

Guest firetotheworks

So now we were lucky against Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Norwich. Sure everytime we get a good result we are just ruled as lucky. We must be second in the form table on sheer luck.

In the last of those 3 we were. I wouldn't include Liverpool.

Each to their own. I was never worried on Saturday, thought we were looking more likely to score a 3rd on the break than Norwich scoring again.

Guest icemanblue

We were lucky against Chelsea? In what way?

Guest firetotheworks

We were lucky against Chelsea? In what way?

Do I really have to explain myself again? Can't we just move on? I feel like I'm being bullied.

Guest icemanblue

Yeah, that's hilarious. Brilliant stuff.

I wasn't aware that you'd explained how we were lucky a first time, to be honest. I'd be very interested to read it.

Of course you weren't. That's who you are, regardless of what actually happens.

What was actually happening on Saturday? Didn't even think the ground felt that particularly tense compared to what it is normally. Norwich weren't creating anything really to make us worried. We were looking dangerous on the break. Can only really remember one close call but might have just been my angle because Krul seemed very assured as soon as the cross came in and let it go for a goal kick.

Guest firetotheworks

I wasn't aware that you'd explained how we were lucky a first time, to be honest. I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to be funny like. I've explained it on numerous occassions to different people, you included (which is why I feel like you're bringing this up just to try and provoke a reaction from me!)

Saying as you've asked though, I'll indulge you. Basically, Chelsea were toothless and I felt like we relied upon that too much. Chelsea being toothless, or Spurs being toothless is luck when they're presented with clear cut opportunity after clear cut opportunity. You could probably say that we rode our luck against Chelsea and relied upon it against Spurs. Relying upon that, or riding your luck over a long period of time isn't a game plan, it's a gamble. 

Luck is striking a ball that hits a rouge beach ball, and deflects into the net.

Our GK having a great day, or their striker not having a great day is not luck. This is the very basis of a football game. 11 players, playing better than another 11 players.

Im sorry, but that is just moronic.

Guest firetotheworks

Of course you weren't. That's who you are, regardless of what actually happens.

What was actually happening on Saturday? Didn't even think the ground felt that particularly tense compared to what it is normally. Norwich weren't creating anything really to make us worried. We were looking dangerous on the break. Can only really remember one close call but might have just been my angle because Krul seemed very assured as soon as the cross came in and let it go for a goal kick.

The clue is in your post. Why are we playing on the break...at home...to Norwich? Why are we allowing them the opportunity to use the ball as they see fit. Aye, they're a poor team and will miss chances, but why account for that when you can erradicate it altogether by dominating possession.

There was an excuse when it was against better teams, or when we were away. But at home to Norwich? No way.

Guest firetotheworks

Krul made loads of saves against Spurs, that's not luck either. Anyway, this is a crazy debate. Every victory in sport is in some way down to your opponent either being worse or not playing to their potential in some way.

Would you rather we stopped debating it?

Luck is striking a ball that hits a rouge beach ball, and deflects into the net.

Our GK having a great day, or their striker not having a great day is not luck. This is the very basis of a football game. 11 players, playing better than another 11 players.

Im sorry, but that is just moronic.

This is kind of what I meant.

I count luck as bad deflections, shitty refereeing decisions, that sort of thing.  The sort of thing neither team can control.  Never heard actual player/team performances described as lucky/unlucky before.

We've been the victim of the former far more than the recipient these past few yerars IYAM.

Guest firetotheworks

It's not moronic at all.

There is obviously always an element of luck or endeavor or whatever in football. It can't simply be we are better (players, manager, tactics) we will win etc. That's obvious.

The point that I'm making is that there are always things that you can do to improve and there are things that can already be done to negate any need to rely upon the opposition striker having a bad day, or our 'keeper having a blinder.

There's no way that a manager will set up a team to defend in training and say 'OK, if this happens, Tim saves it or the striker misses' It's not something that can be relied upon because it is completely out of Pardew's control.

What is in his control is to get the team retaining possession better, moving more, using attack as defence and defending better. More than anything he can simply get the team to carry on in the way that got them the lead, rather than inviting unnecessary pressure. THAT's moronic.

Krul made loads of saves against Spurs, that's not luck either. Anyway, this is a crazy debate. Every victory in sport is in some way down to your opponent either being worse or not playing to their potential in some way.

When you're saying we were lucky to win on Saturday because Norwich were shit, then yes. Would like to have seen you reactions throughout the game on Saturday to see how nervous/tense/worried you actually were of Norwich taking a point or winning that game. I thought the general feeling was it was a comfortable enough win but made tougher than it should have been after half time.

Guest icemanblue

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to be funny like. I've explained it on numerous occassions to different people, you included (which is why I feel like you're bringing this up just to try and provoke a reaction from me!)

Saying as you've asked though, I'll indulge you. Basically, Chelsea were toothless and I felt like we relied upon that too much. Chelsea being toothless, or Spurs being toothless is luck when they're presented with clear cut opportunity after clear cut opportunity. You could probably say that we rode our luck against Chelsea and relied upon it against Spurs. Relying upon that, or riding your luck over a long period of time isn't a game plan, it's a gamble. 

I don't understand how we 'relied on Chelsea being toothless'. We restricted them to a minimal amount of chances (which we didn't do against Spurs), whilst creating our own, which we took. Over the course of the game, we matched them in terms of 'good' chances, and kept a clean sheet. You're displaying a biased view of the game.

Guest firetotheworks

When you're saying we were lucky to win on Saturday because Norwich were s***, then yes. Would like to have seen you reactions throughout the game on Saturday to see how nervous/tense/worried you actually were of Norwich taking a point or winning that game. I thought the general feeling was it was a comfortable enough win but made tougher than it should have been after half time.

Sorry, are you telling me what I should and shouldn't talk about on here? Just need to clarify that.

We were lucky on Saturday because we allowed them to have a chance at getting a draw and relied upon them being shit. If you'd seen me on Saturday you'd have seen someone that was very happy with the first half and then utterly confused as to why we, yet again, sat back and defended our lead for 45 minutes when it's clearly a risk that has stung us in the past and will certainly sting us again under Pardew.