Alan Pardew

Mike

I wouldn't begrudge him another chance to turn things around after this season. I think all in all he's done a decent job and don't feel the need to instantly sack managers once things turn sour.

Based on results and issues out of his control, maybe? Based on performances, tactics, substitutions, team ethos, etc... Not a f***ing chance!

We've got knocked out of Europe marginally by the finalists, we are still in a position to finish top half and this has been a disaster. I understand i'm just papering over the major cracks here however i'm just not one to go over board and start calling for his head when i haven't quickly forgotten how he massively over achieved last season leaving him in a position this year with a far greater job on his hands which nobody really expected and in truth we weren't well equipped enough to cope. If he goes and we bring in someone else fair enough, i wouldn't argue against it, but if we stick with him, i hope we go into the summer with a better plan than our previous visits in this window of opportunity.

People are perfectly entitled to their opinion but it'd be nice to hear some reasoning behind why next season would be more like last and less like this. Other than pure chance of course.

A fully fit Krul & HBA is worth about 10 points a season alone imo. If he's lucky and they stay fit I'd imagine we'll stumble to around 50 points. Plus I reckon Cisse will get an extra half dozen goals.

Nothing of Pardew's doing but players alone will get us around the upper mid-table mark.

At best, but the football and mentality will be shambles again. We'll continue to scrap away with the odd goal win here and there, defending leads and never entertain for more than five minutes. I'm almost tearing up just imagining another year of this utter fucking garbage. It's such a pointless waste of talent.

People are perfectly entitled to their opinion but it'd be nice to hear some reasoning behind why next season would be more like last and less like this. Other than pure chance of course.

A fully fit Krul & HBA is worth about 10 points a season alone imo. If he's lucky and they stay fit I'd imagine we'll stumble to around 50 points. Plus I reckon Cisse will get an extra half dozen goals.

Nothing of Pardew's doing but players alone will get us around the upper mid-table mark.

i don't think next season will be as bad, however if cabs & hba etc. are dead set against playing for this joker again next season and start demanding moves i think they might can pardew in favour of keeping a group of players together that they've worked very hard to acquire...it's probably our best hope

also hoping that if he's been told he's in the job it's simply to keep his mouth shut in the press while they search for a replacement

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I would hope that nobody on Newcastle-Online feels like they can’t give theirs but if you’re going to say that you’re “happy” for him to stay then you’ve got to be able to back that up to be taken seriously. 

Do you think he coaches the team to attack dangerously?

Is he able to maintain a well drilled defensive structure?

Is he able to do both of the above at the same time?

Do you think he keeps the players fit enough?

Do you think he sends the players out positively, and with confidence?

Do you like his ability to change a game?

Do you think he sets the team up well from the start?

Do you like the style of football he employs?

Does he get the best out of his players?

Do you think players have improved significantly under his coaching? If so, which ones?

Do you think his tactics are sensible?

Does he get the best out of his squad i.e. do you think he’s able to work well when players are injured or suspended?

Given that he doesn't have a massive say in who we sign, do you think his football is the right football for the type of players we purchase?

Are you excited by the prospect of an NUFC led by Pardew into next season? 

Personally, I’ve given my opinion on all of these things and more. “He deserves a chance” is not a reason to keep somebody employed in the most important job at a Premier League football club, any more than it is a reason to give me the job, nor is “we might have less injuries”. I want to hear reasons why he is the absolute best available man for the job, and better than any single one of the alternatives, not hear how somebody else might be worse or hear more about how hard done to he is. If I wanted to hear that, I could just listen the man himself.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I would hope that nobody on Newcastle-Online feels like they can’t give theirs but if you’re going to say that you’re “happy” for him to stay then you’ve got to be able to back that up to be taken seriously.

Do you think players have improved significantly under his coaching? If so, which ones?

Does he get the best out of his squad i.e. do you think he’s able to work well when players are injured or suspended?

Given that he doesn't have a massive say in who we sign, do you think his football is the right football for the type of players we purchase?

Personally, I’ve given my opinion on all of these things and more. “He deserves a chance” is not a reason to keep somebody employed in the most important job at a Premier League football club, any more than it is a reason to give me the job, nor is “we might have less injuries”. I want to hear reasons why he is the absolute best available man for the job, and better than any single one of the alternatives, not hear how somebody else might be worse or hear more about how hard done to he is. If I wanted to hear that, I could just listen the man himself.

Shit just got real ...

I wouldn't begrudge him another chance to turn things around after this season. I think all in all he's done a decent job and don't feel the need to instantly sack managers once things turn sour.

Based on results and issues out of his control, maybe? Based on performances, tactics, substitutions, team ethos, etc... Not a f***ing chance!

We've got knocked out of Europe marginally by the finalists, we are still in a position to finish top half and this has been a disaster. I understand i'm just papering over the major cracks here however i'm just not one to go over board and start calling for his head when i haven't quickly forgotten how he massively over achieved last season leaving him in a position this year with a far greater job on his hands which nobody really expected and in truth we weren't well equipped enough to cope. If he goes and we bring in someone else fair enough, i wouldn't argue against it, but if we stick with him, i hope we go into the summer with a better plan than our previous visits in this window of opportunity.

It's absolutely ridiculous that you can suggest that people are going overboard by calling for his head like, just staggering.

I'd agree with a lot of that if it wasn't for the quality of the football.  For two years now we have played s*** football.  Look at the way villa and Wigan play the game.  Even the games we've won I've not enjoyed the actual game.

Guest Pjpg

It's more the other options that worry me, i don't want an average manager. Given, Pardew isn't any better but at least the stability to the club itself can help. As much as it has been an excuse this season, i think next will be very different without Europa league football, mind, the injuries we've received this season could all happen again in just the league itself

"Even though we are now safe we will be putting in the same effort that we would for any other Premier League game.

What effort is that you crazy fuck  :rant:

I'll go with a neutral source.

.com......

Aston Villa - Mike Dean calling time on a half that we didn't really want to end.

Chelsea - [an] unprecedented afternoon of entertainment and endeavour served up by United's not-so-local heroes for 50,000 of the faithful, who had bought tickets before our spending spree. Their fortitude was to be richly rewarded.the interchangeability of Cisse, Gouffran and Sissoko was eye-catching.

Tottenham - the display was largely encouraging and not the worst return from what was perhaps the most tricky of our remaining domestic fixtures

Southampton - Pleasingly, we were able to follow up a midweek success in Europe with an equally notable domestic victory and scored four times in the Premier League for the first time since April 2011.  The French enclave repaid their audience with further industrious displays across the field; the significant presence of Sissoko to the fore and Debuchy finding his feet.  Très bien, as they say in Blakelaw.

Swansea -  Alan Pardew watched his side dominate possession. it would be unfair to criticise Pardew for sticking his with first XI until the late panic caused by going behind.

Stoke - [After] enjoying plenty of possession, [the Stoke goal] came against the run of play but added a sense of urgency to Newcastle's efforts and they were soon level in memorable style through Cabaye.

Wigan - A reinvigorated Magpies side began to push forward towards the away contingent after the break, soon doing enough to crank up the noise levels from that end of the ground.  Normal service then looked to be restored when Davide Santon fired home a maiden strike for the club, the Italian pressing forward as United went looking for what seemed a fairly likely winner at that point.  [in the end though] Pointless and luckless.

Fulham - United dominated play more and more, but more intelligent approach work failed to bring a breakthrough, Shola heading wide from a perfect position on 77 minutes....the Gallowgate goal frame was twice struck again......Cisse's fine header brought a sprawling save out of Schwarzer.

WBA - United should have gone in at half time well on the way to what would have been only their second away win of the season.  However, they failed to do so courtesy of a glaring miss from Cisse, an unfortunate miskick by Steven Taylor and two Yohan Cabaye efforts - one narrowly off target and the other beaten out by goalkeeper Ben Foster.

If we're talking about "marginally", if Wigan had held their midweek lead and Harry had picked Fabio instead of Bosingwa, we'd be in the bottom three with a game to go.

We've been far far closer to relegation than UEFA cup success.

I'll give this a bash:

By his own admission he doesn't.

67 goals conceded (joint most in the league) answers this itself.

Not at all.

Not in my opinion. Our pressing high up normally ends after the first half if it happens at all and the flair players are always subbed after 65-70 minutes.

Whether he sends them out positively is hard to answer as I don't know if what he says in the press matches what he says in the dressing room. However it is clear the players have had little confidence all season.

In a defensive way yes (in the past at least). When we need a goal no.

Some times but he has an over reliance on players who aren't good enough and won't play enough of the flair players to make a decent go of attacking teams.

Not at all. I prefer to see attacking football with a focus on dominating the possession. I don't mind being more direct but only in an effective manner and not 'playing percentages' (aka HOOFBALL).

He probably gets the best out of the squad players like Perch, Elliott etc but not our players with the most ability to win games like Cabaye, Cisse, Sissoko and Ben Arfa.

James Perch, Rob Elliott and at a push maybe Danny Simpson.

No I think they invite trouble. If you're constantly on the back foot you'll crumble under pressure as we inevitably do.

Nope. He constantly laments the missing players when they're not available and gives off the impression that he should only be expected to win when he can field his strongest team.

Not at all. We're signing technically proficient players and he likes to play as direct a style of football as possible negating most of their key skills.

No.

Not being local, I don’t know how typical the views expressed on here are, in terms of general opinion on Tyneside. But I’m a bit worried that I might be seeing the start of a sort of self-destructive meltdown that I’ve seen before.

Ours is a very well-supported club, which has the pressures and opportunities that fall in that wake. When we’re doing badly, a lot of anger develops, and this is unfortunately coupled with gloating by the media, who long to write another chapter of failure in the history of this crazy-club-that-continues-to-under-achieve etc etc These twin pressures then start to affect the manager and the players, and we head into a downward spiral. A bad situation becomes worse.

Pardew has made some mistakes, and I’m not completely convinced about him. I don’t feel I’ve got a grip on what he’s aiming for in terms of the team’s style etc. But I can understand the owner wanting to get out of the syndrome of sacking the manager when there’s a bad spell and the pressure is on. It can sometimes become the only way of relieving the pressure, but I’d rather any decision was made on rational terms, rather than driven by emotion from the stands.

The crucial thing for me would be whether Pardew has still got the support of the players. If he has – and there don’t seem to be any rumours to the contrary – then I’d give him another season.

It's more the other options that worry me, i don't want an average manager. Given, Pardew isn't any better but at least the stability to the club itself can help. As much as it has been an excuse this season, i think next will be very different without Europa league football, mind, the injuries we've received this season could all happen again in just the league itself

Not quite the tubthumping response I was hoping for. :lol:

You've got one wish though - you haven't got an average manager, you've got a poor one at this level. No other Premier League club would give him a job, that's why he'd dropped into the lower leagues.

The silver lining of this is that they will back him in the summer window. He's been moaning for ages on transfers etc, so if they're planning to let him stay then surely they won't want to hear the same excuses again next year.

I still don't think it's a given that he'll be here. I reckon we'll have put out some feelers for managers and not liked what we got back, so we've assured Pardew. But let's say Rafa drops his demands for money for himself and transfers, Ashley isn't the type of guy that will pass up an opportunity like that because he's given his word to a subordinate.

Superb set of questions, read that and tell me you are happy to keep Pardew and our current coaching set up.

Completely agree with Wullies points.

I'm at a loss though. If he does stay, am I supposed to turn my back on the team? I can't give the manager stick, when I know it will effect the players.

If he stays, I think I will sit tight and hope that somehow the side improves. Along with a bit of luck, Pardew might fluke it again. In the end it will be a shame to see so many good players wasted.

My prediction is a poor start, a sacking, an underwhelming appointment and "survival".

It's absolutely ridiculous that you can suggest that people are going overboard by calling for his head like, just staggering.

I didn't mean other people going overboard, other peoples opinion is very much understandable. I meant i'm not myself going overboard which in my opinion would be. I want stability, i don't like managers having one bad season, one bad run, then they are gone. In the past I’ve wanted managers gone and they've been replaced with absolute shit. My main worry with Pardew going is, i'm not sure there are many managers who can handle the way Ashley runs the club. He is the biggest problem we have and will remain to be for the foreseeable future.

I'm thinking of betting on the club getting relegated next season.

Honestly I believe we'll do what QPR did this season if he stays another full season. Even if he goes half way through I doubt any one that great will be available (whereas there are plenty of options this summer with out of contract managers).

As I've said before if he had any semblance of a philosophy (god I hate that term) that he was trying to imprint on the club people would give him more time but he doesn't and he's had 2.5 seasons to imprint one from a fairly solid base. It's all very slapdash and it shows.

I'm sure there are plenty managers who would be willing to work under Ashley's restrictions tbh, it's a far sight better than the vast majority of clubs in world football regardless of how hard done to we may feel. Proportionate to the size of the club he's not all that great, even if I agree with some of his policies, but we're a far more attractive proposition than the likes of Wigan (who's manager has just won the FA Cup) or Swansea (who's manager has just won the League Cup). Many managers would bite Ashley's hand of for an opportunity to manage here.

That is Ashley's biggest problem though, the fact that he appears happy to sit with a yes man.