Alan Pardew

Mike

Tbh, I think I would even go as far as saying that if Pardew stays, we can write off next season immediately.

I think im as depressed as you, but this actually made me laugh.

Not that you are wrong though!

its just as bleak as it gets...

Some good recent posts. :thup:

If Pardew is staying (and let's be frank, there's no indication that he isn't) then there's no benefit to continuing to be down about it. Blind hope it may be, but we have to hope we sign some good players, come back refreshed and do much better next season.

I have to be honest with myself and say that I can't do that. Any players coming in will mean little to me until the Pardew cloud has gone. We already have very good players imo. New very good players won't improve Pardew.

Tbh, I think I would even go as far as saying that if Pardew stays, we can write off next season immediately.

Pretty much how I'm feeling. Totally apathetic about summer transfers and resigned to, at best, a mediocre and ugly showing next year.

Guest firetotheworks

I think I went a bit far with writing off next season, but that's certainly how I feel.

Even if the club decided to bring in a supporting coach, who was an attack minded one, to suppliment the Pardew/Carver/Stone affect, then I'd be more optimistic than just Pardew in charge.

Like how Spurs have Sir Les helping out etc.

Fetch Ginola in.  He knaaa's the crack.

What's baffling?

The fact he can't get behind the club the start of the new season regardless of what players come in simply because of his dislike for the manager. If fans flock in to SJP with this kind of attitude on the first game of the season, it's another needless obstacle for the players/manager to overcome. You know with this kind of attitude will be met with moans and groans as soon as the first thing doesn't go to plan. It's a new season, the owners have made the choice to keep him, lets get behind the manager and players to give them support to hopefully get off to a positive start, that's all that we did when finished 5th, we got a winning mentality instilled within the group, we didn't think we were going to concede, we fancied our chances to nick games, from then on we moved throughout the year looking comfortable with a few mishaps along the way. We all know last season was a disaster, we all know Pardew is a very limited manager, but going into the season on his back isn't going to help anyone.

HEY just give us some time to recover, aight! We will get there in time for the new season...but our patience will not last long if improvements are not spotted from the beginning of the season. Results doesn´t matter as long as i can see new positive elements to our game....i have not seen that all last season!

Can you tell me one good thing pardew tried to implementate last season?

Guest firetotheworks

Quote from: Mick on Today at 12:42:41 PM

What's baffling?

The fact he can't get behind the club the start of the new season regardless of what players come in simply because of his dislike for the manager. If fans flock in to SJP with this kind of attitude on the first game of the season, it's another needless obstacle for the players/manager to overcome. You know with this kind of attitude will be met with moans and groans as soon as the first thing doesn't go to plan. It's a new season, the owners have made the choice to keep him, lets get behind the manager and players to give them support to hopefully get off to a positive start, that's all that we did when finished 5th, we got a winning mentality instilled within the group, we didn't think we were going to concede, we fancied our chances to nick games, from then on we moved throughout the year looking comfortable with a few mishaps along the way. We all know last season was a disaster, we all know Pardew is a very limited manager, but going into the season on his back isn't going to help anyone.

1. It has nothing to do with a dislike for the manager. It is entirely to do with his proven track record for being a crap manager. Most notibly and recently with us.

2. I'll get behind the team, that doesn't mean to say that I'll believe in what I'm essentially blindly hoping for.

3. The fans will flock to SJP with that kind of attitude because of this season, which Pardew is largely responsible for.

4. Going into next season on Pardew's back is going to help NUFC in the long run, because it puts pressure on him to be sacked, which he should be.

Guest neesy111

I think the odds would be heavily weighted to us having a mediocre season at best if the current manager and coaching staff stay.

:sadnod:

I think I went a bit far with writing off next season, but that's certainly how I feel.

If Pardew stays I'd like to see anyone come on here and say with real confidence that next season will be a success. We won't get a repeat of last season's adrenaline when results went our way and new players like Cabaye and Ba were eager to prove themselves.

Hope is draining by the minute, but if he is to stay, as I suspect, there has to be a decent financial backing this summer, possibly a new number 2 and a few new coaches employed. If we're keeping him he needs retraining and new ideas as currently he seems to have hit a brick wall and can't take us further.

I don't really understand this line of thinking tbh. What's the point in bringing in new coaches if the manager doesn't understand that type of football? The solution is simple for me:

a) Sack the manager and bring one to suit the players being recruited by Carr.

b) Sack the scout and buy players suited to Pardew, e.g. Carroll.

The current hotch potch solution is exactly the reason we have ended up fighting relegation with players looking baffled and eventually worn down. Ashley has to make a decision now, or he can end up making it at Xmas by which time another season will be down the drain.

There's certainly something hotch-potch about our team-building, but I'm not sure that it's down to a lack of co-ordination or communication between Pardew and Carr. I don't believe that anyone gets signed against Pardew's will.

What I wonder about is whether Pardew places too much faith in his own coaching and motivational skills, and isn't sufficiently accepting of players' strengths and limitations as he finds them. As an example, I don't think Tiote is ever going to be a great passer of the ball, but a recent statement by Pardew suggested that he was hoping to bring that out in him.

Similarly, there were early indications that Cisse - Ba was not going to work as a partnership, which again Pardew seemed to think he could work through. He also ignored the personal tensions that could develop when he publicly favoured Ba as first choice Number 9.

A manager has to accept that there are some situations which can't be worked with beyond a certain point.

Hope is draining by the minute, but if he is to stay, as I suspect, there has to be a decent financial backing this summer, possibly a new number 2 and a few new coaches employed. If we're keeping him he needs retraining and new ideas as currently he seems to have hit a brick wall and can't take us further.

I don't really understand this line of thinking tbh. What's the point in bringing in new coaches if the manager doesn't understand that type of football? The solution is simple for me:

a) Sack the manager and bring one to suit the players being recruited by Carr.

b) Sack the scout and buy players suited to Pardew, e.g. Carroll.

The current hotch potch solution is exactly the reason we have ended up fighting relegation with players looking baffled and eventually worn down. Ashley has to make a decision now, or he can end up making it at Xmas by which time another season will be down the drain.

There's certainly something hotch-potch about our team-building, but I'm not sure that it's down to a lack of co-ordination or communication between Pardew and Carr. I don't believe that anyone gets signed against Pardew's will.

What I wonder about is whether Pardew places too much faith in his own coaching and motivational skills, and isn't sufficiently accepting of players' strengths and limitations as he finds them. As an example, I don't think Tiote is ever going to be a great passer of the ball, but a recent statement by Pardew suggested that he was hoping to bring that out in him.

Similarly, there were early indications that Cisse - Ba was not going to work as a partnership, which again Pardew seemed to think he could work through. He also ignored the personal tensions that could develop when he publicly favoured Ba as first choice Number 9.

A manager has to accept that there are some situations which can't be worked with beyond a certain point.

I can't think of a bigger indictment of a manager than he doesn't understand a player's limitations or how they fit into a team alongside other team members.

Got to say I don't have an awful lot of hope for 2013/14 with this clown in charge. Best we can hope for is mid table mediocrity, inevitable 3rd round cup exits, probably being embarrassed live on TV at some lower league team. Likely another relegation fight, until eventually Ashley wakes up to the folly of persisting with this charlatan, lets hope when that happens there is someone capable available and willing to take over and Ashley actually makes the right call for once.

Guest reefatoon

We don't even know what the spirit is like. We were in a negative spiral of confidence because of our terrible season, but that is over now and should be a massive relief to everyone.

It didn't look like it at the Arsenal game to tell you the truth

Seem to remember the 'battle for 7th' thread starting off worth most suggesting a 1 had been missed out of the thread title.

Pardew is shite, but there's always a chance that we can exceed expectations again next season. Writing it off already is silly.

Seem to remember the 'battle for 7th' thread starting off worth most suggesting a 1 had been missed out of the thread title.

Pardew is shite, but there's always a chance that we can exceed expectations again next season. Writing it off already is silly.

It depends on what our expectations are I would guess. IMO we have probably the 6th/7th highest value squad in the league. There's always a chance that we could end up around those positions. but based on what I've seen in the last couple of years I'd say we'll do well to achieve mid-table if Pardew is still here.

I can't support him next season if he's still here. New season or not, this one was completely fucked by his incompetence. What's there to get behind? Another season of shit football, disillusioned players and a manager who doesn't give a fuck.

It depends on what our expectations are I would guess. IMO we have probably the 6th/7th highest value squad in the league. There's always a chance that we could end up around those positions. but based on what I've seen in the last couple of years I'd say we'll do well to achieve mid-table if Pardew is still here.

8th should be the minimum we are aiming for. That's top of the shit/average/non-good sides, and looking upwards rather than down. I don't see why that is out of the question, even with Pardew in charge. I genuinely don't think he's any better than that, but we're talking a 10 point improvement based on this year's table. Definitely not out of the question.

If we're doing rubbish by the end of the calendar year he'll be gone anyway.

If Pardew stays I'd like to see anyone come on here and say with real confidence that next season will be a success. We won't get a repeat of last season's adrenaline when results went our way and new players like Cabaye and Ba were eager to prove themselves.

With confidence, i’m going for us to bounce back and finish top 8. And this is me in no way shape or form, saying Pards is the man to take us forward, it’s not. My opinion is, if Ashley got a top manager to replace, great but i’d be very pissed off if we made another side step like a Hughton to Pardew. In terms of next season i honestly believe we can kick start things back in to action. I don’t believe the rumours about unrest in the squad, i’ve got no evidence to back this up, but it’s just as much as evidence as to those who say there is a split, just an opinion. I just cba with all negativity, doom and gloom. I’d much rather get behind Pardew and the team and hope we transform ourselves around next season than practically wishing that he has another dire season just so he gets sacked like most on here seem to be wishing for.

8th should be the minimum we are aiming for. That's top of the shit/average/non-good sides, and looking upwards rather than down. I don't see why that is out of the question, even with Pardew in charge. I genuinely don't think he's any better than that, but we're talking a 10 point improvement based on this year's table. Definitely not out of the question.

Similar feelings to me. I've said before that, although I know we 'should' aim higher, a stable season with a scattering of brilliant moments is enough for me at this point. Not just because of this season, but also what went before.

It's not out of the question we'll get 8th if Pardew's still in charge but do you think that's likely? Given this squad of players working under this manager I would say we'd do well to finish top half and would be in danger of relegation again. There needs to be either an overhaul of the manager's playing philosophy or the player recruitment strategy because the two are completely out of sync ATM.

FOOTBALL – After 36 matches of this Premier League season, Newcastle United have taken 25 points fewer than they did from the same 36 fixtures last season when they finished fifth. Declining so much from one season to the next is relatively rare and has only occurred 15 times in the past 31 seasons and just once since 1995/1996.

Perhaps not surprisingly, eight of the clubs whose points total declined so much were relegated that season. The other seven had all finished in the top five the previous season but this is not necessarily enough as Ipswich Town found in 2001/2002 when they went down a season after finishing fifth.

If Newcastle United join this group at the end of the season, they will be the third team, after Leeds United and Ipswich Town, to have suffered such a decline more than once. The Magpies were relegated 24 years ago, a season after finishing eighth in Division One with 56 points. Their decline of 25 points left them bottom of the league a season later.

In a week where the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson has made big news, one further point arises from the table below. Manchester United’s points total fell from 81 to 51 in Ferguson’s second full season in charge. A season later, United dropped a further three points and two more places to 13th on 48 points. At that moment, Ferguson had won nothing at United although the 1990 FA Cup was won a week later. In 1991, United rose to sixth position and they never again finished outside the top three in the subsequent 22 seasons.

http://media.tumblr.com/f107b165741c7a1f6ac176a724dbdc5f/tumblr_inline_mmlce16Bkb1qz4rgp.jpg

http://infostradalive.com/post/50236186401/analyse-this-newcastle-united-on-target-for-one-of

In the end we got one more point so fell just shy of the top 15 by dropping 24 in total.

The last paragraph on Fergie is noteworthy though.  A 30 point decline was worse than Pardew's.