Alan Pardew

Mike

What's frustrating is that I'm absolutely certain that if we appointed Benitez and gave him 4-5 years, he would win us a trophy of some kind and a few European campaigns.  It might only be a League Cup that we won, but I wouldn't care..

Aye. He's so underrated we might be able to snag him if we play by his rules and we'd be mega very quickly.

I'll be genuinely furious if he goes to Stoke.

What's frustrating is that I'm absolutely certain that if we appointed Benitez and gave him 4-5 years, he would win us a trophy of some kind and a few European campaigns.  It might only be a League Cup that we won, but I wouldn't care..

Aye. He's so underrated we might be able to snag him if we play by his rules and we'd be mega very quickly.

I'll be genuinely furious if he goes to Stoke.

It is frustrating, just an example of our generally massive potential.

No way he will go to Stoke mind you.

Just realised the 2nd longest serving manager in the Premier League thing, shows how times have changed. No longer are we so fickle in changing managers, Mike Ashley has brought stability... :)

:troll:

Guest hydeous

Fuck off Pards. First time in ages I haven't looked forward to a new season. Fuck you. Seriously. You silver haired muppet.

Guest hobshobs

Stan Collymore ‏@StanCollymore 4m

Whelan '' Martinez wants 24hrs more to make his decision, my gut feeling is he wants to stay, tomorrow is D-day''. @talkSPORT LIVE

Hope he's waiting for the outcome of this meeting.

Matrinez is exactly what we need. Exactly. Technically gifted players in the main, married to a manager who wants to play it on the deck. No round pegs in square holes, no hoofing the ball up the park and no endless list of excuses as to what went wrong. Wake up Ashley it's so obvious. Go get him.

Guest reefatoon

Don't want Martinez at all. Has to be better options than that perennial relegation flirter

Benitez would be very interested but it depends on a) getting rid of Pardew and b) him not going to Napoli/PSG. It's looking more unlikely by the day, unfortunately.

I'd much rather have a manager who would see us as a step-up, rather than a step-down.

I'd much prefer Benitez over Martinez

So would I but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of Martinez in charge. Probably the second best option IMO, due to his PL experience.

Rene Girard would be an exciting option, but I think that option is more of a risk..

Just anyone but Pardew.

..and fucking Pulis, Bruce, McClaren, O'Neill and all the other hoofball british managers out there.

What's Girard like?

He has worked with a couple of our players already, Debuchy and Cabaye to name a few. And if im not mistaken, a couple of the other french players aswell during his time as a national coach. The Under 21's i think. Good attacking football, got Lille to win the league and to the CL. Wants to manage in the PL. (more or less begging for a job in the PL if you believe the papers)

What's Girard like?

He has worked with a couple of our players already, Debuchy and Cabaye to name a few. And if im not mistaken, a couple of the other french players aswell during his time as a national coach. The Under 21's i think. Good attacking football, got Lille to win the league and to the CL. Wants to manage in the PL. (more or less begging for a job in the PL if you believe the papers)

That's Rudi Garcia

What's Girard like?

That's Rudi Garcia

:blush:  my bad.

What's Girard like?

That's Rudi Garcia

:lol:

Guest ItalianMagpie

Don't want Martinez at all. Has to be better options than that perennial relegation flirter

Well you can't do much more than that with Wigan can you?

Guest hobshobs

A bit blinkered to be honest. He has just won the FA Cup plus it would be fair to say our players on paper look far superior. Also, don't forget, if we hadn't the good fortune of these last minute goals this season we'd be down a league as well. Add to that if we hadn't had the magic moments / goals from Cisse, Ben Arfa last saeson we certainly would have been a lot closer to where Wigan finished than the fith place we achieved.

Martinez over Pardew for me. No question.

What's Girard like?

That's Rudi Garcia

:blush:  my bad.

It's ok. A lot of it is still applicable any way :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Well you can't do much more than that with Wigan can you?

Don't really agree. Swansea, Norwich, had just as crap squads but managed to finish higher.  For people raving about the way he has his team playing the game, then he should probably take a bit of a look at it as it is clearly not working.  They have been in and around the relegation zone the whole time he was there.

Hope is draining by the minute, but if he is to stay, as I suspect, there has to be a decent financial backing this summer, possibly a new number 2 and a few new coaches employed. If we're keeping him he needs retraining and new ideas as currently he seems to have hit a brick wall and can't take us further.

I don't really understand this line of thinking tbh. What's the point in bringing in new coaches if the manager doesn't understand that type of football? The solution is simple for me:

a) Sack the manager and bring one to suit the players being recruited by Carr.

b) Sack the scout and buy players suited to Pardew, e.g. Carroll.

The current hotch potch solution is exactly the reason we have ended up fighting relegation with players looking baffled and eventually worn down. Ashley has to make a decision now, or he can end up making it at Xmas by which time another season will be down the drain.

There's certainly something hotch-potch about our team-building, but I'm not sure that it's down to a lack of co-ordination or communication between Pardew and Carr. I don't believe that anyone gets signed against Pardew's will.

What I wonder about is whether Pardew places too much faith in his own coaching and motivational skills, and isn't sufficiently accepting of players' strengths and limitations as he finds them. As an example, I don't think Tiote is ever going to be a great passer of the ball, but a recent statement by Pardew suggested that he was hoping to bring that out in him.

Similarly, there were early indications that Cisse - Ba was not going to work as a partnership, which again Pardew seemed to think he could work through. He also ignored the personal tensions that could develop when he publicly favoured Ba as first choice Number 9.

A manager has to accept that there are some situations which can't be worked with beyond a certain point.

I can't think of a bigger indictment of a manager than he doesn't understand a player's limitations or how they fit into a team alongside other team members.

For sure, that’s fundamental. Which makes me wonder what’s gone on, because despite what gets said, Pardew isn’t stupid, he can assess players and he does understand tactics. In fact, the problem may be that he relies too much on tactics and what he sees as his ability to get more out of individuals.  I wonder whether he gets bogged down in detail and misses the bigger picture. He over-estimates what he, or indeed any coach, can do.

What might help is if he has a coach around him who he will really listen to. It’s a good idea to have local men like Carver and Stone in the team, but we may also need something else.