Alan Pardew

Mike

I just dislike Poyet, not sure why. I've barely seen Brighton play, but as a person he gets on my tits.

That's the real problem most people have with him, plus his association with Wise back when they were at Leeds. Personally i don't really care. If I was going to go on a night out or invite one of them round for dinner, maybe Pardew would be the better choice. But to manage and coach a football team I'd pick Poyet every time.

Gus (round for dinner) for me like.

Same here really, I was just looking from the average fan's perspective. If I wanted a new set of windows for the lounge I'd probably go for Pards though.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-uniteds-french-contingent-told-2010421

By Matt Law

Newcastle's French contingent told to get a firm grasp of the English language by Alan Pardew

29 Jun 2013 22:30

The Toon boss is keen to ensure there are no communication difficulties in the dressing room ahead of the new season

Newcastle's French players face being ­ordered to take intensive English lessons.

Manager Alan Pardew told his influx of French stars that they must return for pre-season training with a firm grasp of the English language.

Newcastle start their pre-season preparations on Thursday, when the French ­contingent will be expected to speak and ­understand English.

If they are not up to scratch, they could be made to take ­intensive English classes as many as three times a week to get them ready for the new season.

Pardew has scrapped the translators employed by Newcastle to help the five Frenchmen signed in January and wants total immersion in the English language.

He is determined there will be no language or communication barriers in the dressing-room next season.

I totally agree with that policy. At the end of the season I was disappointed to read a quote from Debuchy saying he wasn't going to be learning English during the Summer. If you're getting paid Premier League footballer wages learning English isn't too much to ask. Intensive English classes 3 times a week isn't very much.

Guest chicken little

Pardew should be taking those classes too.

'Idiot's guide to names' for Kinnear too.

that's not a real classs

I totally agree with that policy. At the end of the season I was disappointed to read a quote from Debuchy saying he wasn't going to be learning English during the Summer. If you're getting paid Premier League footballer wages learning English isn't too much to ask. Intensive English classes 3 times a week isn't very much.

The club can't force players to learn English, the club would be much better off trying to encourage them rather than trying to force them to do something that they could refuse to do and the club would be able to do nothing about it.

Having a clause in their contracts could make a difference as they would then have signed to say they will learn the language but I don't know how enforceable it would be.

We had a number of foreign workers at work and had massive problems communicating and we wanted to force them to learn English.  We contacted an employment lawyer who we work with and they told us to back off and if communication was that important to us a company then we would learn their language.

Must say it's more effective and practical for everyone to learn one common language instead of 4, 5 different ones. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for an employer to expect his employees to learn the basics of the working language where they are atm.

Must say it's more effective and practical for everyone to learn one common language instead of 4, 5 different ones. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for an employer to expect his employees to learn the basics of the working language where they are atm.

It doesn't matter what we think, some prick or pricks in Europe will have made the decision.  It's probably seen as being against their human rights or some shit like that.

It doesn't matter what we think, some prick or pricks in Europe will have made the decision.  It's probably seen as being against their human rights or some s*** like that.

You would think they have a bit of logic that learning the language will help those employees in more ways than one. Unless they are going to stay at home after work, they will encounter the language everywhere they go. Not as if you are asking them for anything more than conversational English anyway.

There's ensuring employee rights and there's being a PC idiot.

The club can't force players to learn English, the club would be much better off trying to encourage them rather than trying to force them to do something that they could refuse to do and the club would be able to do nothing about it.

Having a clause in their contracts could make a difference as they would then have signed to say they will learn the language but I don't know how enforceable it would be.

We had a number of foreign workers at work and had massive problems communicating and we wanted to force them to learn English.  We contacted an employment lawyer who we work with and they told us to back off and if communication was that important to us a company then we would learn their language.

Yep once you've hired them you can't sack them for refusing to learn English.  Which is ridiculous, if I refused to learn something required in my work I'd be sacked and wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

The key is to not hire them in the first place if they can't speak English.  Easier said than done for a Football club though.

I don't know if it is but it should be a part of the contract that players try their best to learn the language. They get a lot of free time. Carlos Tévez arrived at West Ham in August 2006 and if I'm not mistaken he was famous for not learning English in all his time here in England. We don't want a situation like that with our players.

I don't know if it is but it should be a part of the contract that players try their best to learn the language. They get a lot of free time. Carlos Tévez arrived at West Ham in August 2006 and if I'm not mistaken he was famous for not learning English in all his time here in England. We don't want a situation like that with our players.

Haha, never really heard him speak before. :lol: :lol:

It doesn't matter what we think, some prick or pricks in Europe will have made the decision.  It's probably seen as being against their human rights or some shit like that.

Hang on a second, if someone can't speak a certain language that you deem important in the workplace, to a standard you deem adequate, surely you just don't give them the job? :lol:

Hang on a second, if someone can't speak a certain language that you deem important in the workplace, to a standard you deem adequate, surely you just don't give them the job? :lol:

I didn't, somebody else did.  :lol: