Alan Pardew

Mike

He thinks the game tonight and the game against Chelsea are winnable.

Delusional c***. You couldn't even beat Sunderland.

When he speaks on a positive note, he gets this sort of stuff fired at him? Either way people will have a go at him for whatever he comes out with.

Guest icemanblue

When possibly the most negative manager we've had in my lifetime continually calls the fans negative...we just accept it and keep chanting his name.

I wish we were more like Scousers actually, then we might get something done.

:thup: Spot-on as ever.  This stuff's creeped in more and more since he's realised he can say it, get away with it and have it as yet another widely believed reason why he's battling adversity and doing a smashing job in the circumstances.

That's a stretch, like. :lol:

What's the aim of it then? Now that he's realised he can 'get away with it'. Why is he doing it? Is there an objective to it all?

Guarding himself against criticism isn't he? The same reason that he gets his excuses in early, we heard about tiredness before the Chelsea game but not afterwards because we won.

He's done a good job of lowering expectations, this is the next step. If our already low expectations (say, beating the worst team in the league) aren't met then we're still not allowed to be affected by it, and we're definitely not justified in criticising him or the team.

He mentioned tiredness directly after a 120 minute game against Man City, didn't he? Not in the build up to the Chelsea game. He may not have mentioned tiredness after the game, but I remember Gouffran doing so.

I don't know, this kind of dissection feels very womblemaster to me.

When possibly the most negative manager we've had in my lifetime continually calls the fans negative...we just accept it and keep chanting his name.

I wish we were more like Scousers actually, then we might get something done.

:thup: Spot-on as ever.  This stuff's creeped in more and more since he's realised he can say it, get away with it and have it as yet another widely believed reason why he's battling adversity and doing a smashing job in the circumstances.

That's a stretch, like. :lol:

What's the aim of it then? Now that he's realised he can 'get away with it'. Why is he doing it? Is there an objective to it all?

Guarding himself against criticism isn't he? The same reason that he gets his excuses in early, we heard about tiredness before the Chelsea game but not afterwards because we won.

He's done a good job of lowering expectations, this is the next step. If our already low expectations (say, beating the worst team in the league) aren't met then we're still not allowed to be affected by it, and we're definitely not justified in criticising him or the team.

He mentioned tiredness directly after a 120 minute game against Man City, didn't he? Not in the build up to the Chelsea game. He may not have mentioned tiredness after the game, but I remember Gouffran doing so.

I don't know, this kind of dissection feels very womblemaster to me.

Two words that shouldn't be in a sentence together.

He  hasn't lowered expectations if 90% of this forum refuse to accept 9th as good enough.

The board isn't a representative sample of the fans, but you know that.

True.

How do you think it differs?

Cleverer?

Younger?

More tactically astute?

Sometimes a manager uses euphemisms to protect his players.

Rather than say "Ben Arfa looked shit and he's getting dropped like a teeming ho, until he bucks his ideas up", Pardew suggests "he looked tired and might need a rest, so he can come back strong as we know he can be."

Criticism is rightly kept in the dressing room.

If you want an honest manager follow whichever club Di Canio drags through the mud next.

Guest firetotheworks

There's a line to be drawn. You can use criticism to get something from the team, or just to be honest. It doesn't have to be ridiculous excuses or overtly offensive criticism. There's moderation and too often people will use extremes to make a point, when quite often the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

There's nothing wrong with describing what went wrong without bringing hocus pocus and utter bullshit into play. Even Mourinho will criticise his team when it's obvious or necessary.

Guest firetotheworks

There's moderation and too often people will use extremes to make a point, when quite often the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

For example:

Laudrup mentioned tiredness for the reason they conceded late last night  :shifty:

A manager using the word tiredness for his players, shocking stuff.

Laudrup mentioned tiredness for the reason they conceded late last night  :shifty:

He doesn't use it every other week along with a flurry of other such bullshit though which is sort of the point.

All managers talk shit, all make us excuses, very few do it almost every time they open their mouth.

Guest bimpy474

I've got to the point where i now ignore the shit Pardew comes out with. Only the pre match 'lets win for Mike' has got me angry lately. I've toned down going on about him as he's not going anywhere and as long we approach games like we did against Liverpool and Chelsea (2nd half more but the sadist in me enjoyed the 1st half too). It's acceptable and quite enjoyable to be fair.

As long as the we are positive during the matches and play decent football, that's all i really focus on now.

Guest bimpy474

Of the active posters in here, I'd say the Pardew supporters have now outnumbered the Pardew haters :) Does seem like if someone criticises him "the gang"  ;) pop up and take over

"the gang" :lol:

He doesn't use it every other week along with a flurry of other such bullshit though which is sort of the point.

All managers talk s***, all make us excuses, very few do it almost every time they open their mouth.

So he thought Swansea were good in the derby but only got done by a set piece at the weekend then blames tiredness midweek after another poor result. I'm only using Laudrup because i've watched Swansea in their last two games and heard Laudrup back them even though they've been poor in both but he hasn't once criticised anybody or took any blame himself.

Majority of managers will look to make excuses and defend their players. It's nothing new. Yes the odd few flamboyant ones like Jose will have a bit of a slaughter but rarely do you see other managers tell it exactly like it is.

Guest bimpy474

All managers talk s***, all make us excuses, very few do it almost every time they open their mouth.

So he thought Swansea were good in the derby but only got done by a set piece at the weekend then blames tiredness midweek after another poor result. I'm only using Laudrup because i've watched Swansea in their last two games and heard Laudrup back them even though they've been poor in both but he hasn't once criticised anybody or took any blame himself.

Majority of managers will look to make excuses and defend their players. It's nothing new. Yes the odd few flamboyant ones like Jose will have a bit of a slaughter but rarely do you see other managers tell it exactly like it is.

Swansea didn't hoof it from the first whistle and make me want to vomit with the pathetic attempts at fooball, like we did last season though.

Swansea didn't hoof it from the first whistle and make me want to vomit with the pathetic attempts at fooball, like we did last season though.

The football's always been a different matter, criticising what you see on the pitch is absolutely fine obviously.

Guest bimpy474

The football's always been a different matter, criticising what you see on the pitch is absolutely fine obviously.

Should in the main always be about the football imo. It's been better this season but we really are a massive up and down team at the moment.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't imagine anyone here pores over every word other managers say.

You don't have to. You just have to notice them not making excuses every single time that they're interviewed. The only manager that I've ever known to always, always have an excuse is Tony Pulis. Everything was always about the ref, or Stoke being unlucky.

Wasn't really me point like, but aye i'll give you our football was atrocious last season compared to Swansea. Doesn't take away from the fact they have a manager who refuses to take responsibility for results and looks to defend his players. Not that there is anything wrong with this, majority of managers do it. Just becomes accepted to an extent. Like Moyes slating Ashley Young’s diving when Everton manager, suddenly Young’s his player and he backs him up in the diving dispute.

Tbh Bimpy, actually agree with your post previously where you mention not really paying much attention to what Pardew has to say in interviews before or after. Sort of do the same myself until the likes of ‘this is for Mike’ comes out which is only fair to be disgusted by. Dissecting every word of every interview for something he’s said which is wrong will just send you mad. The last I seen of him he said ‘We played our best football at Sunderland’, everyone knows it’s a load of shit, even he does but he’s just trying to gloss over a poor result.

Guest bimpy474

Wasn't really me point like, but aye i'll give you our football was atrocious last season compared to Swansea. Doesn't take away from the fact they have a manager who refuses to take responsibility for results and looks to defend his players. Not that there is anything wrong with this, majority of managers do it. Just becomes accepted to an extent. Like Moyes slating Ashley Young’s diving when Everton manager, suddenly Young’s his player and he backs him up in the diving dispute.

Tbh Bimpy, actually agree with your post previously where you mention not really paying much attention to what Pardew has to say in interviews before or after. Sort of do the same myself until the likes of ‘this is for Mike’ comes out which is only fair to be disgusted by. Dissecting every word of every interview for something he’s said which is wrong will just send you mad. The last I seen of him he said ‘We played our best football at Sunderland’, everyone knows it’s a load of shit, even he does but he’s just trying to gloss over a poor result.

Pardew says so much nonsense that it really has become a good sport, i suppose that's why its been called excuse bingo :lol:.

I'm more interested in the football now and it has improved and improved immensely since last season. I'm mainly talking about the possession, while our defending is like us overall, erratic. Our attacking play is still lacking something. We need someone different but it is going to happen. Just hoping the football gets better and keeps improving is where i'm at.