Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Guest icemanblue

I know this probably takes more analysis, but why is our commercial revenue so bad?

I'm not sure it does. Just take one look inside, and outside, our stadium.

Would be worth someone compiling a list of where we rank in each category, because it appears that the already traditional 'Ashley is doing amazing things financially' is somewhat overstating the reality. We're bang average from what I can see, just like the club's ambitions.

Would be worth someone compiling a list of where we rank in each category, because it appears that the already traditional 'Ashley is doing amazing things financially' is somewhat overstating the reality. We're bang average from what I can see, just like the club's ambitions.

But we're making a profit now, even after chipping some money off Ashley's loan.  That makes some people very proud and happy.

But we're making a profit now, even after chipping some money off Ashley's loan.  That makes some people very proud and happy.

It just makes our position more sustainable, it's weird that people can somehow see that as bad.

I know this probably takes more analysis, but why is our commercial revenue so bad?

I know the SD stuff is appalling, but that's surely not the cause. I mean, Man Utd don't make millions because everyone thinks AON is really classy.

What I meant about it not looking so bad on the graph was that it does just seem a straight divide between the regular CL clubs/title winners and the rest. From that I assume it must mainly be overseas revenue that makes theirs so much higher.

Sports Direct take up much of the advertising space and don't pay for it.

Again true, I just don't know how much difference this actually makes. In theory we could be doing a much better job of revenue raising, but that graph makes it look like non-matchday and overseas revenue must be the reason.

Like I say though, need more analysis. I'm not even sure what makes up 'commercial revenue'.

Guest icemanblue

I know the SD stuff is appalling, but that's surely not the cause. I mean, Man Utd don't make millions because everyone thinks AON is really classy.

What I meant about it not looking so bad on the graph was that it does just seem a straight divide between the regular CL clubs/title winners and the rest. From that I assume it must mainly be overseas revenue that makes theirs so much higher.

Nah, that's not what I meant. I meant that, considering how little interest we appear to have in commercial revenue at home, I doubt we have that much consideration for increasing it elsewhere.

Nah, that's not what I meant. I meant that, considering how little interest we appear to have in commercial revenue at home, I doubt we have that much consideration for increasing it elsewhere.

Ah right, that's true obviously. I just wonder how possible it is to tap markets abroad when you aren't in the CL and are competing with significantly more successful English clubs as well.

Sponsorship tours, look to untapped markets, sign players from countries that have a high PL following to exploits, different partners/sponsors for training kits etc.

They wouldn't make a huge difference but they'd help increase it little by little.

On the whole though, as you say, you need the success or the heritage of success - we have neither.

Just saw the BBC article about Pep Guardiola being ready for the Bayern Munich challenge.

Yeah, you'd have to perform wonders to extract trophies out of that team Pep :razz:

Sponsorship tours, look to untapped markets, sign players from countries that have a high PL following to exploits, different partners/sponsors for training kits etc.

They wouldn't make a huge difference but they'd help increase it little by little.

On the whole though, as you say, you need the success or the heritage of success - we have neither.

Can't believe we've never looked to sign someone from the far east.

Did we ever have an Asian player? (Chopra doesn't count)

Did we ever have an Asian player? (Chopra doesn't count)

Don't believe so (certainly can't recall one)

Just saw the BBC article about Pep Guardiola being ready for the Bayern Munich challenge.

Yeah, you'd have to perform wonders to extract trophies out of that team Pep :razz:

Anything less than a treble will be considered a failure though, with that in mind its a rather big challenge.

Anything less than a treble will be considered a failure though, with that in mind its a rather big challenge.

Last season literally couldn't have went any worse for him tbf  :lol: