Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

This looks straight from the 80s

Steaua Bucharest stripped of name, colours and emblem after court ruling

• 1986 European champions left without identity

• Steaua have lost battle over trademark with defence ministry

• Romania champions referred to as ‘hosts’ on scoreboard

• But club handed Europa League reprieve for Thursday’s match

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/08/steaua-bucharest-romania-lose-name-colours-emblem-court-ruling-defence-ministry?view=mobile#opt-in-message

Is it, by any chance, something to do with Gigi "the worst man in the world" Becali?

Guest firetotheworks

...when he gives a shit.

He's still very much part of the 'know your place!' brigade when it comes to any team below, say, Spurs.

Guest firetotheworks

It's odd for a Dutchman to not be fluent in English, but I can't bring myself to take the piss when my grasp of other languages is basic at best.

Guest firetotheworks

Who knows, either way the English have no real room to talk about other people and languages. We're at both an advantage and a disadvantage in terms of every fucker learning English as their second language, but if English is your first language, your second is a difficult choice.

He's the worst Dutchman I've heard for his English, like. Embarrassing.

:lol: How exactly is it embarrassing? Sure if it's the worst, but it's not his mother-tongue so how can it be embarrassing?

He's the worst Dutchman I've heard for his English, like. Embarrassing.

:lol: How exactly is it embarrassing? Sure if it's the worst, but it's not his mother-tongue so how can it be embarrassing?

I'm with you here like. I don't care how good the Dutch can speak English, it isn't his mother tongue so it's pathetic to ridicule him for the way he speaks. He can understand and be understood in Dutch, German, English and Spanish and people are calling his language skills embarrassing. :lol:

Froggy what's your Mother tongue?

English, but I can speak little bits of Irish, German and Spanish. When I'm in a foreign country I would try my best to ask basic questions and make simple statements in their language, and I'd be disappointed to be called an embarrassment for trying. In my experience though it's been met with appreciation. That's the difference in Britain and the rest of Europe though isn't it? :lol: The majority of British are ignorant when it comes to languages.

EDIT: I was actually working with a Scottish fella in Madrid a few years back as well. He went into a McDonald's and asked for a Big Mac meal in blunt English with a thick Scottish accent. When they didn't understand he just shouted it louder and was acting insulted that they couldn't understand him. I was embarrassed to be with him at that moment.

Who knows, either way the English have no real room to talk about other people and languages. We're at both an advantage and a disadvantage in terms of every fucker learning English as their second language, but if English is your first language, your second is a difficult choice.

Aye. English is basically a no-brainer for everybody else in the world. What to do when you've already got that one licked?

Still, I'd like to see foreign languages pushed a bit more in the UK. If nothing else, it might give English-speakers an idea of how fucking difficult it is to speak foreign, and then they might not be such embarrassing tits about the dude in McDonald's not speaking fluent English when they go abroad.