Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

After my well publicised (on here) flounce out of putting up with the shite from Villa any more, I've only been to one match this season, and that was the FAC semi final. And I even got that as a freebie in the club wembley seats.

So basically, after having a ST for about 20 years, and going home and away for most of them, after the last four years of wanting to pull my eyes out during matches, of sitting in the cold watching us be shite, I've managed to shoot myself in the foot by picking the season we reach the FA Cup final for just the second time in almost 60 years as the one I give up on qualifying for a ticket before the season starts.

As it happens, this is the most broke I have been in about twenty years, too, with a set of circumstances leaving me with next to no income for the last few months, and having to justify every expense to the Mrs, who is a fucking guard dog of extreme savagery when it comes to the finances.

Anyway.

I can see that I can go to a ticket agency and pay somewhere between 500 and 600 quid and secure myself a ticket. In what would be a cheapest-tier ticket for the match, ie a 45 quid ticket at a gigantic mark up.

I've spent the last week mentally to-ing and fro-ing, trying to decide if I can bring myself to do it. Not to actually spend that much for a match ticket, but to do so AND more importantly, to hide it from the Mrs (I'd tell her I'd managed to bag a freebie again).

On the one side, it might not happen again in my lifetime. And we might actually win. In fact, I am genuinely starting to think we will win.

On the other side, if I did, and she ever found out I'd spent that much, she'd probably leave me. And I am not exaggerating.

She doesn't "get" football at all. So there's zero point trying to explain to her what it means. Football to her is something that occupies too much of my time, and annoys her. And costs lots of money.

I am driving myself fucking NUTS trying to decide what to do.

Advice?

Incidentally, all the above, part of me thinks "you f***ing deserve this" for deciding to not go at all this season in the first place.

A team is meant to be supported through thick and thin. You left them when the going got tough, Brummie. Even if you got a ticket, do you deserve it based on what we know?

Jokes, fucking take a risk. You can get another wife, but can't get another cup final.  :lol:

Incidentally, all the above, part of me thinks "you f***ing deserve this" for deciding to not go at all this season in the first place.

A team is meant to be supported through thick and thin. You left them when the going got tough, Brummie. Even if you got a ticket, do you deserve it based on what we know?

That's the thing, though. You've got a point there. I bailed for the season. It is biting me in the arse. I've come to terms with that part of it, and it is pretty ironic, too, that it has turned out that way.

So now I am also thinking - and this is the same logic here - "ah well, I'll decide not to do it, and we'll lose, and I'll think 'thank fuck'"

Then in the next second - "but what if we actually do win it? And I had the chance? ANd I threw it away for the sake of 500 notes"

Followed by "but it isn't just the money, it is her indoors, too"

I should add that for Villa fans, the cup is a massive thing, won it seven times but not once since 1957.

I appreciate I am in a fertile place when it comes to not winning things, but with the exception of the UEFA cup, it is the only thing I've seen us play in but not win. I almost feel like, if we won it, and if i was there to see it, I would be mentally released from this whole fucking football torture thing. It'd all get easier for me.

I went to see David Byrne five years ago, at the Symphony Hall in Brum, an amazing venue, to see my favourite artist of all time, and we were in the second row, at just below stage height, right in the middle. When we came out, I said to the Mrs, I never really need to see another gig again, because whatever it is, it'll never be as good as this. That's the way I find myself thinking about this match.

But I still feel bad about even thinking about doing it.

We've been together 16 years. I've grown attached to her. Fond of her, even.

That's the thing, though. You've got a point there. I bailed for the season. It is biting me in the arse. I've come to terms with that part of it, and it is pretty ironic, too, that it has turned out that way.

So now I am also thinking - and this is the same logic here - "ah well, I'll decide not to do it, and we'll lose, and I'll think 'thank f***'"

Then in the next second - "but what if we actually do win it? And I had the chance? ANd I threw it away for the sake of 500 notes"

Followed by "but it isn't just the money, it is her indoors, too"

I should add that for Villa fans, the cup is a massive thing, won it seven times but not once since 1957.

I appreciate I am in a fertile place when it comes to not winning things, but with the exception of the UEFA cup, it is the only thing I've seen us play in but not win. I almost feel like, if we won it, and if i was there to see it, I would be mentally released from this whole f***ing football torture thing. It'd all get easier for me.

I went to see David Byrne five years ago, at the Symphony Hall in Brum, an amazing venue, to see my favourite artist of all time, and we were in the second row, at just below stage height, right in the middle. When we came out, I said to the Mrs, I never really need to see another gig again, because whatever it is, it'll never be as good as this. That's the way I find myself thinking about this match.

But I still feel bad about even thinking about doing it.

We've been together 16 years. I've grown attached to her. Fond of her, even.

Understand what your saying :thup:

However, Villa owe YOU something for the last 4 + years of misery. Martin O'Neil, Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert, and that's just the managers. It's on par with some of the disasters NUFC have bounced back and forth from. You backed them to the hilt when the going was tough, until you reached your breaking point. And Sherwood, although abit of a novice, is a new but slightly precarious step into your new history as a club. And tbh, it's not something I would want to miss.

Comparing it to NUFC, we all hate Ashley with a passion, but if he had brought Sherwood in, and we ended up in a cup final again *snigger*, then by hell or high water I would make sure I was there. But why? Well, because it's my club and it would be achieving something I had always dreamed of, something I was always aggrieved about when we struggled, knowing we could strive for better. Because for 90 minutes it would be in touching distance.

I appreciate you are having abit of money trouble, but like you say, it's potentially a once in a life time thing nowadays. 

Of course it's easy for me or anyone else to say just YOLO and that you should just go for it, but as you've gone through so much detail to explain the situation and it has been clearly chewing you up, just fucking do it, man.

Sure it's a decent chunk of change, and it'll no doubt piss her off, and maybe I'm overstepping the line as I don't know either of you but fucking hell does she not have any hobbies that you too are confused by? Football is clearly a huge part of your life, and not everyone will understand that, and that's fine, but to leave you because you want to experience perhaps a once in a lifetime opportunity and a huge moment in your club's history is fucking befuddling to me. Especially considering the shite you've had to endure.

YOLO

FFS, just speak to her. She should understand how much it means. Mine has finally got it. Buy her a frock or something, a pair of shoes. They like flounces too. Fuck's sake, that shouldn't be a dealbreaker. You can't tell me she hasn't been out on the lash with her mates and left you holding the fort. And beat those scabby Londoners, please.

Man, 16 years, she's probably noticed the Villa thing by now, I expect. Lie to her and say she's more important, but this is a one-off. They love that.

Guest lincoln_imp

if you are going out with a bird that will leave you for attending a football match, then you should accept that in time, the relationship is destined to fail if you intend to carry on being a football fan. This is not spurious, its a certainty.

When you are old and wizened, (and presumably you and this sort are no longer together) what will you regret more, not going to watch your team play in a once in a life time cup final, or going to the cup final and being dumped by some ten-a-penny sort that wont ever get it.

buy the ticket, live the dream, and if ur woman doesnt like it, then as sarah brightman and andrea bocelli said, "its time to say goodbye"

if you are going out with a bird that will leave you for attending a football match, then you should accept that in time, the relationship is destined to fail if you intend to carry on being a football fan. This is not spurious, its a certainty.

When you are old and wizened, (and presumably you and this sort are no longer together) what will you regret more, not going to watch your team play in a once in a life time cup final, or going to the cup final and being dumped by some ten-a-penny sort that wont ever get it.

buy the ticket, live the dream, and if ur woman doesnt like it, then as sarah brightman and andrea bocelli said, "its time to say goodbye"

:lol: the point isn't that he's attending a football match though, is it.

Don't get in trouble with your wife for football, brummie; we are all a bit crazy for it here, but at the end it's just football.

And by that I mean, if you really want to do it, don't lie to her. It will poison the entire thing.

Don't get in trouble with your wife for football, brummie; we are all a bit crazy for it here, but at the end it's just football.

And by that I mean, if you really want to do it, don't lie to her. It will poison the entire thing.

+1. It's just football at the end of the day. It's not worth potentially destroying something far more important.

+1. It's just football at the end of the day. It's not worth potentially destroying something far more important.

I think you're right.

OK, television it is then.