Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

McClean should move away from England if he hates it so much. Bet he likes it when he is cashing in his pay checks every month though.

I for one can certainly see James Mcclean being in high demand from clubs in other countries :lol:

I'm sure some useless shite in his beloved Ireland would take him. Would have to lower his wages significantly though, so that's not happening.

So you think he should give up professional football basically? :lol:

Aye, if he dislikes the country he is playing for as much as he apparently does. Can't have it both ways.

McClean should move away from England if he hates it so much. Bet he likes it when he is cashing in his pay checks every month though.

I for one can certainly see James Mcclean being in high demand from clubs in other countries :lol:

I'm sure some useless shite in his beloved Ireland would take him. Would have to lower his wages significantly though, so that's not happening.

So you think he should give up professional football basically? :lol:

Aye, if he dislikes the country he is playing for as much as he apparently does. Can't have it both ways.

Well I don't think he hates England tbh. Just because he hates the British army and doesn't want to stand for the national anthem doesn't mean he hates England

McClean is an embarrassing arsehole, makes all Irish people look like fucking idiots with his poorly thought out fucking shite way of carrying on.

Come home and play for Galway United if you're so anti-English, otherwise stand and observe the national anthem when it's played like any reasonable, not horribly bigoted person would.

McClean is an embarrassing arsehole, makes all Irish people look like fucking idiots with his poorly thought out fucking shite way of carrying on.

Come home and play for Galway United if you're so anti-English, otherwise stand and observe the national anthem when it's played like any reasonable, not horribly bigoted person would.

:thup:

GSTQ is an monarchistic anachronism that celebrates imperial conquest and subservience to a bloodline rule. It's absolutely ludicrous that its our national anthem. If I can see that, then I'm not surprised in the slightest that somebody of McClean's background would have a problem with what it represents.

FWIW, he's a tramp and a prick, but that's besides the point in this instance.

GSTQ is an monarchistic anachronism that celebrates imperial conquest and subservience to a bloodline rule. It's absolutely ludicrous that its our national anthem. If I can see that, then I'm not surprised in the slightest that somebody of McClean's background would have a problem with what it represents.

FWIW, he's a tramp and a prick, but that's besides the point in this instance.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02852/Russell-Brand_2852063b.jpg

This sort of, I have no problem with him not singing it, I can't stand it myself much, albeit maybe he's doing it in a bit of an attention seeking manner. (why are they playing it at a friendly anyway?) I guess the poppy thing is another kettle of fish. If he'd had any grace he would have worn that white poppy thing that is meant to commemorate all war dead not just British. I sometimes get annoyed at how world war 1 memorials get a bit nationalistic when the lesson of the war should be the dangers of nationalism.

Sorry like but why not? You can dislike what GSTQ represents and not hate the entire country you know. It's a diverse, multi-faceted nation of over 60 million people. Thankfully we live in a country where democracy and liberty come paramount to nationalistic ideology (not that you'd guess from our anthem, like).

Guest neesy111

This sort of, I have no problem with him not singing it, I can't stand it myself much, albeit maybe he's doing it in a bit of an attention seeking manner. I guess the poppy thing is another kettle of fish. If he'd had any grace he would have worn that white poppy thing that is meant to commemorate all war dead not just British. I sometimes get annoyed at how world war 1 memorials get a bit nationalistic when the lesson of the war should be the dangers of nationalism.

This.

This sort of, I have no problem with him not singing it, I can't stand it myself much, albeit maybe he's doing it in a bit of an attention seeking manner. (why are they playing it at a friendly anyway?) I guess the poppy thing is another kettle of fish. If he'd had any grace he would have worn that white poppy thing that is meant to commemorate all war dead not just British. I sometimes get annoyed at how world war 1 memorials get a bit nationalistic when the lesson of the war should be the dangers of nationalism.

In Derry where McClean is from wearing a poppy would be seen as showing support for the British Army who wouldn't be looked on very fondly by people in Derry and particularly Creggan where he grew up to say the least. He actually wrote a decent article around the time of the poppy thing last year explaining his reasons

Dear Mr Whelan

I wanted to write to you before talking about this face to face and explain my reasons for not wearing a poppy on my shirt for the game at Bolton.

I have complete respect for those who fought and died in both World Wars - many I know were Irish-born. I have been told that your own Grandfather Paddy Whelan, from Tipperary, was one of those.

I mourn their deaths like every other decent person and if the Poppy was a symbol only for the lost souls of World War I and II I would wear one.

I want to make that 100% clear .You must understand this.  But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

For people from the North of Ireland such as myself, and specifically those in Derry, scene of the 1972 Bloody Sunday massacre, the poppy has come to mean something very different. Please understand, Mr Whelan, that when you come from Creggan like myself or the Bogside, Brandywell or the majority of places in Derry, every person still lives in the shadow of one of the darkest days in Ireland’s history – even if like me you were born nearly 20 years after the event. It is just a part of who we are, ingrained into us from birth.

Mr Whelan, for me to wear a poppy would be as much a gesture of disrespect for the innocent people who lost their lives in the Troubles – and Bloody Sunday especially - as I have in the past been accused of disrespecting the victims of WWI and WWII.

It would be seen as an act of disrespect to those people; to my people.

I am not a war monger, or anti-British, or a terrorist or any of the accusations levelled at me in the past. I am a peaceful guy, I believe everyone should live side by side, whatever their religious or political beliefs which I respect and ask for people to respect mine in return. Since last year, I am a father and I want my daughter to grow up in a peaceful world, like any parent.

I am very proud of where I come from and I just cannot do something that I believe is wrong. In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.

I know you may not agree with my feelings but I hope very much that you understand my reasons.

As the owner of the club I am proud to play for, I believe I owe both you and the club’s supporters this explanation.

Yours sincerely,             

James McClean         

In Derry where McClean is from wearing a poppy would be seen as showing support for the British Army who wouldn't be looked on very fondly by people in Derry and particularly Creggan where he grew up to say the least. He actually wrote a decent article around the time of the poppy thing last year explaining his reasons

He doesn't even say that himself though, he says this:

But the Poppy is used to remember victims of other conflicts since 1945 and this is where the problem starts for me.

What a fucking terrible gesture :lol:

Honestly though, I can understand how some places can be like living in a fish bowl (the NE's terrible for it hence the rise in UKIP up here), and rightly or wrongly I can see why he didn't want to wear the poppy and can sympathise with that, but he's thick as fuck and causing nothing but bother for himself and needlessly causing offence*.

*And plenty people will have decent reasons to be offended by it.