Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

Should never have left to join Liverpool. Was genuinely gutted when he did and with hindsight he'd have had such a better playing career staying here. Was a quality player then and caused problems for just about every defender we played against. 

Weird that for a player that never relied on pace and just had pure strength and aerial power his career went downhill so fast. Unfortunately that was all the injury problems though and not his own game style. 

Thing is although he wasn't rapid he wasn't glacial, like some forwards with his height and general physique. He could get past a defender, or could at least nip in ahead with a crucial touch. His close control was pretty good too. 

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

He should just retire and enjoy his lovely family, maybe get into coaching in the North East or something. 

I could be wrong but I doubt he will have been financially astute with his money.

He had phenomenal talent in the air, some of his headers were out of this world.

Obviously injuries took a huge toll, but I do wonder if we'll see a player like him again. The big man centre forward has gone out of vogue (but would clearly appeal to someone living in the past, like Bruce).

But in general, with all this talk of heading the ball leading to brain injuries and being discouraged at youth training level, you can't see that style of player coming through again.

Wish him all the best, though. He clearly wanted to play for us and did his best. I'll always remember the championship promotion season, where we won 1-0 away at Doncaster with him scoring, when he'd got a plaster on his arm after a punch up 😂

The other thing I remember about that Doncaster game was finding out about Carroll's broken hand on the coach on the way down there, and that all the coaches were diverted to pile into Ripon until the police would let them head down the motorway to get to the actual stadium.

It was a midweek game, and so some random midweek afternoon, a few sleepy country pubs in that town got absolutely flooded with fans. I remember there was one local old fellow sat on a stool by the bar, when suddenly he was surrounded by people singing and downing pints at a rate of knots.

The funniest part was when the landlord burst out of the toilets like there had been a murder, yelling "Right - everybody stop! Who's done it? I'm calling the police!"

"Who's done what?" came the cry

"Who's done it? Own up! Who's nicked the bogs?"

And sure enough, a whole urinal trough had gone missing since we'd got there

There was a pause.

And despite the fact there was still only that confused old local man sat on his stool who was not wearing a Newcastle top, someone piped up with

"How dare you, you're only blaming us because we're from Newcastle" 

I still have no idea how someone stole a toilet in plain sight. Or why.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Thing is although he wasn't rapid he wasn't glacial, like some forwards with his height and general physique. He could get past a defender, or could at least nip in ahead with a crucial touch. His close control was pretty good too. 

Yeah, that was one of the things that him seem exciting back then - he wasn't just a lump it up to the big man. He was very good in the air, he had all that, but he was good with the ball at his feet too.

Although it was the second tier, that Doncaster game is a good example of him with the ball at his feet.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Going from his Instagram he has a big family so I imagine he’s been clever enough to set himself and family up for life.

Staggering if he hasn't for the money he's been on for a decade.

Always said how much he loved the club, was more or less sold against his wishes. Injuries took its toll on that absolute brute beast he was in his prime. Loved his random worldies after too. 

I have no issue with him coming back, it failed. It’s nothing to cry over, there have been worse shit going on with our club for Ashley’s ownership period and at the end of the day it will always be that way until he’s gone. 

"The Geordie centre-forward is on holiday but left Tyneside with the offer of a one-year extension to his current arrangement, which runs out on June 30.

However, the negotiations remain ongoing on his contract and what the terms will look like should he stay."