Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

Andy Carroll 'frustrated' at Newcastle but keen to stay and has contract meeting date in diary

Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll eager for another year at St James' Park

Andy Carroll will discover by mid-May whether he will get his contract at Newcastle United extended for the 2021/22 season.

The former England international, now 32, is keen to stay on Tyneside but could have work to do between now and then to earn a fresh deal.

Despite reservations from some observers that signing Carroll on a free transfer from West Ham in 2019 was a risk, Carroll has made 39 appearances in the last two seasons.

Carroll has suffered some minor injuries in the last couple of years but this season he has only reported himself as unavailable once with a calf injury against Crystal Palace in November.

His absence in a clutch of games has been based on non-selection by head coach Steve Bruce, much to the frustration of Carroll at times.

Indeed, in 2021, Carroll has been an unused sub on five occasions despite being fully fit and raring to go.

Carroll posted a cryptic picture of himself on Instagram this week on the back of a 30-second cameo appearance against West Brom on Sunday in the 0-0 draw, with many fans coming to the conclusion it was a plea to start games in the absence of Callum Wilson.

Carroll has scored just once this season against Leicester City when he bagged a late consolation but barely even celebrated the goal.

Chronicle Live understands that Carroll will be told by the middle of May whether he has a future on Tyneside beyond this season.

The pre-arranged date in the diary for Toon chiefs actually works for both parties as Newcastle will have a clearer idea of what division they will be playing in next season.

The Teams-raised striker must now wait to see if he makes the team sheet for Friday's clash with Villa.

Those close to him say he has never felt stronger and would love to lead the line against Villa, the side he once scored a Premier League hat-trick against in his younger days in a 6-0 demolition on Tyneside.

When asked about his late cameo at the Hawthorns, Carroll said: "If we had played Andy and Dwight, then we’d have to change the whole set-up, and I don’t think we had time to do that.

"We’re getting used to playing in a certain way, it’s the way I want to play, but unfortunately, having come up with the system, we’ve been struck down by the loss of Miguel Almiron, Callum and Allan Saint-Maximin.

"It’s been very difficult to try to replace them."

Carroll stated his anger at being left out of the starting line-up in a recent club programme publication, he said to the Magpies' own media team: "It is also frustrating sitting on the bench and can't do anything to change it, or coming on in the last ten minutes.

"If you're a player that just accepts being on the bench and accepts not coming on what's the point of being a footballer.

"Every single time when I don't come on the pitch or don't start, I'm angry, you know, I'm angry.

"Even if it's the right decision.

"When I do come on for the last ten minutes I try and smash a couple of people around a bit.

"You come off after a game, you're on the way home, sitting in bed, and I can't sleep.

"My heads going over it all and I'm sitting thinking: “If only this happened. I'm trying to think and I can't sleep. It wears you out, it tires you out."

Bet he’s got some games played extension clause in there.

Nice round number like 20 maybe? Played 19 games this season so far, and that swap monster handing out 20 second gimmes will get him there.

Only hope is he crocks it, and retires. Total joke of a player last few year, done at top level by time he turned up here. imagine him ever dropping down and playing for any other club, he’ll be here as long as Bruce is. He’s his doing. This club would have never brought in player like this without bunion face’s influence.

Andy Carroll 'frustrated' at Newcastle but keen to stay and has contract meeting date in diary

Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll eager for another year at St James' Park

Andy Carroll will discover by mid-May whether he will get his contract at Newcastle United extended for the 2021/22 season.

The former England international, now 32, is keen to stay on Tyneside but could have work to do between now and then to earn a fresh deal.

Despite reservations from some observers that signing Carroll on a free transfer from West Ham in 2019 was a risk, Carroll has made 39 appearances in the last two seasons.

Carroll has suffered some minor injuries in the last couple of years but this season he has only reported himself as unavailable once with a calf injury against Crystal Palace in November.

His absence in a clutch of games has been based on non-selection by head coach Steve Bruce, much to the frustration of Carroll at times.

Indeed, in 2021, Carroll has been an unused sub on five occasions despite being fully fit and raring to go.

Carroll posted a cryptic picture of himself on Instagram this week on the back of a 30-second cameo appearance against West Brom on Sunday in the 0-0 draw, with many fans coming to the conclusion it was a plea to start games in the absence of Callum Wilson.

Carroll has scored just once this season against Leicester City when he bagged a late consolation but barely even celebrated the goal.

Chronicle Live understands that Carroll will be told by the middle of May whether he has a future on Tyneside beyond this season.

The pre-arranged date in the diary for Toon chiefs actually works for both parties as Newcastle will have a clearer idea of what division they will be playing in next season.

The Teams-raised striker must now wait to see if he makes the team sheet for Friday's clash with Villa.

Those close to him say he has never felt stronger and would love to lead the line against Villa, the side he once scored a Premier League hat-trick against in his younger days in a 6-0 demolition on Tyneside.

When asked about his late cameo at the Hawthorns, Carroll said: "If we had played Andy and Dwight, then we’d have to change the whole set-up, and I don’t think we had time to do that.

"We’re getting used to playing in a certain way, it’s the way I want to play, but unfortunately, having come up with the system, we’ve been struck down by the loss of Miguel Almiron, Callum and Allan Saint-Maximin.

"It’s been very difficult to try to replace them."

Carroll stated his anger at being left out of the starting line-up in a recent club programme publication, he said to the Magpies' own media team: "It is also frustrating sitting on the bench and can't do anything to change it, or coming on in the last ten minutes.

"If you're a player that just accepts being on the bench and accepts not coming on what's the point of being a footballer.

"Every single time when I don't come on the pitch or don't start, I'm angry, you know, I'm angry.

"Even if it's the right decision.

"When I do come on for the last ten minutes I try and smash a couple of people around a bit.

"You come off after a game, you're on the way home, sitting in bed, and I can't sleep.

"My heads going over it all and I'm sitting thinking: “If only this happened. I'm trying to think and I can't sleep. It wears you out, it tires you out."

Doesn’t say at all he’s getting a new contract.

Kinda suggests that he is.

No it says there is a date to talk about what happens, not that he’s actually getting one.

“I try and smash a couple of people around a bit”

WTF.....how about trying to do your job and set up teammates or score yourself......I really give up on this travesty of my club

Blokes a joke, he’s not even hard to defend anymore. Not the towering arial threat he was from years ago. Any PL defend worth their salt can go toe to toe with him physically now.

Plenty of centre backs in the league that would smash this decrepit moron about nowadays.

No it says there is a date to talk about what happens, not that he’s actually getting one.

Previous examples tells you that this club doesn’t let you know when you are being released, they just do it.

Previous examples tells you that this club doesn’t let you know when you are being released, they just do it.

You said the chronicle says he IS getting a contract it doesn’t.

Bruce doing himself no favours sticking him Andy on for scraps.

Think Carroll’s past it, but Bruce throwing him on for 20 seconds and a few minutes is just going to piss him

off. Just putting more doubt into manager’s decision making.

That feeds down. Anyone who’s played Sunday league, or worked in an environment comparable to a dressing room - once doubt within leadership seeds, it spreads from leading figures down very quickly; and once you’ve alienated senior figures in any team you’re 90% fucked.

• 1 month later...