European Under 21 Championship 2013

joeyt

FA is no different to the goons that run us.. A lot of great talk about the future and the wonderful plans and vision they have. They have pumped money into youth set ups, but at the end of the day very little true intent or action in hiring and training the right staff to make things a reality.  It's keeping up appearances.

I am. You have the best league in the world domestically. Some of the best international managers and coaches have come to work in your country. The facilities are top notch everywhere in the country. You have a fairly big population and football is without doubt the number 1 sport. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that a country like Norway, or even Holland, should be taking the piss out of you.

I read something the other day about why Norway's youth team is doing so well -- which was a surprise to me, as I don't follow it closely. Or at all. The claim was that it's due to the economic crisis, which for some reason struck Norwegian football hard (which is true), despite the fact that the overall economy is doing spectacularly well compared to the rest of Europe. The result is that instead of clubs bringing in foreign mercenaries looking for a stepping stone toward the bigger leagues, they have to rely on their own youth development.

I don't think the same applies to England. Good English players are still more expensive than foreign players, especially at premier league level. Just look at NUFC. Although youth development was one of Ashley's stated goals, the players are mostly French.

I am. You have the best league in the world domestically. Some of the best international managers and coaches have come to work in your country. The facilities are top notch everywhere in the country. You have a fairly big population and football is without doubt the number 1 sport. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that a country like Norway, or even Holland, should be taking the p*ss out of you.

I read something the other day about why Norway's youth team is doing so well -- which was a surprise to me, as I don't follow it closely. Or at all. The claim was that it's due to the economic crisis, which for some reason struck Norwegian football hard (which is true), despite the fact that the overall economy is doing spectacularly well compared to the rest of Europe. The result is that instead of clubs bringing in foreign mercenaries looking for a stepping stone toward the bigger leagues, they have to rely on their own youth development.

I don't think the same applies to England. Good English players are still more expensive than foreign players, especially at premier league level. Just look at NUFC. Although youth development was one of Ashley's stated goals, the players are mostly French.

A similar thing applies to Holland. Foreign players in the Eredivisie have to earn a certain minimum salary (not spectacularly high for a professional footballer, but still. Believe it is around 200k/year), so often it is more attractive to pad the squad with talented youngsters rather than foreign players.

Journo's on twitter saying we expect the U21's to be like Spain.  :lol:

This is part of the problem, the nation expects these players to be better than they are.

Zaha is overrated to all hell, been saying it for over a year and i stand by it. Ince is a good player IMO but he's never going to be WC quarter finalist class.

Obviously not the main problem but part of it, the hype is so huge surrounding some of these players when in reality the majority will never be anything more than mid table PL players.

Not to mention, Spain's players IQ is off the charts. Anyone pay attention to the intelligence of Illarramendi, Thiago and Isco? our players look like they have down syndrome compared to them.

Hell f*ck Spain, Italy's midfielders intelligence and appreciation of space and movement is leagues above.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 14m

Norway had a flight booked home on Wednesday as they expected to be knocked out. That is how much #EnglandU21s have underperformed.

:lol:

I dont watch them regularly, but Pearce's U21 record is pretty good overall isn't it?

Is this just another instance of English footballers being psychologically/genetically incapable of playing well in major tournaments?

No Pearce is shit he and Pardew are cut from the same cloth, his record means nothing he has not shown the ability of developing youngsters.

Besides youth football isn't about results its about learning your trade and improving your understanding and skill among other things.

Which is another issue, this country is too fixated on results and we have a coach who is only interesting in himself and improving his CV( shame he's failing at that too :lol: ) and not developing the youngsters to be future England first teamers.