European Under 21 Championship 2013

joeyt

Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton 10h

UEFA A licence course about to commence. Another week of learning and developing as coach. #morehardwork

Look no matter what anyones says I'm not ready to step in and save the u21s. firstly, I still have at least 10 years left playing at the top and secondly, although I know I am already a brilliant coach, you never stop learning in this game. Got to broaden my horizons a little.

On a sidenote, seeing the England kits in action I kept thinking that the colour scheme was all wrong. Way too German. Didn't think it was that bad when I'd only seen pictures of it.

I am. You have the best league in the world domestically. Some of the best international managers and coaches have come to work in your country. The facilities are top notch everywhere in the country. You have a fairly big population and football is without doubt the number 1 sport. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that a country like Norway, or even Holland, should be taking the p*ss out of you.

I read something the other day about why Norway's youth team is doing so well -- which was a surprise to me, as I don't follow it closely. Or at all. The claim was that it's due to the economic crisis, which for some reason struck Norwegian football hard (which is true), despite the fact that the overall economy is doing spectacularly well compared to the rest of Europe. The result is that instead of clubs bringing in foreign mercenaries looking for a stepping stone toward the bigger leagues, they have to rely on their own youth development.

I don't think the same applies to England. Good English players are still more expensive than foreign players, especially at premier league level. Just look at NUFC. Although youth development was one of Ashley's stated goals, the players are mostly French.

A similar thing applies to Holland. Foreign players in the Eredivisie have to earn a certain minimum salary (not spectacularly high for a professional footballer, but still. Believe it is around 200k/year), so often it is more attractive to pad the squad with talented youngsters rather than foreign players.

The other day I was thinking the same about Spain. In La Liga's heyday in the 90s, even lesser clubs had a bunch of well-known foreigners, now that's just unthinkable, and our NT has improved in parallel.

I am. You have the best league in the world domestically. Some of the best international managers and coaches have come to work in your country. The facilities are top notch everywhere in the country. You have a fairly big population and football is without doubt the number 1 sport. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that a country like Norway, or even Holland, should be taking the p*ss out of you.

I read something the other day about why Norway's youth team is doing so well -- which was a surprise to me, as I don't follow it closely. Or at all. The claim was that it's due to the economic crisis, which for some reason struck Norwegian football hard (which is true), despite the fact that the overall economy is doing spectacularly well compared to the rest of Europe. The result is that instead of clubs bringing in foreign mercenaries looking for a stepping stone toward the bigger leagues, they have to rely on their own youth development.

I don't think the same applies to England. Good English players are still more expensive than foreign players, especially at premier league level. Just look at NUFC. Although youth development was one of Ashley's stated goals, the players are mostly French.

A similar thing applies to Holland. Foreign players in the Eredivisie have to earn a certain minimum salary (not spectacularly high for a professional footballer, but still. Believe it is around 200k/year), so often it is more attractive to pad the squad with talented youngsters rather than foreign players.

The other day I was thinking the same about Spain. In La Liga's heyday in the 90s, even lesser clubs had a bunch of well-known foreigners, now that's just unthinkable, and our NT has improved in parallel.

On a smaller scale, the same thing applies to Dortmund, who have gone through a financial crisis, which forced them to rely on their youth products, and they've come out the other end smelling of roses. Problem here may be that there is too much money in the Premiership to take a chance on a youngster. They are bought for silly money by the rich Premiership clubs afraid to miss a trick, but then they hardly play. See Whickam (sp?) for example.

Guest neesy111

Step one towards improving the quality of coaching in this country: ban ex-players from becoming coaches.

I wouldn't go that far but stop good players from becoming coaches.

I generally find the rule in England is good player = absolute shite manager.

Coaching an u21 team to a modicum of tactical effectiveness is hard actually; we're talking a side that pretty much changes the entirety of its playing staff every couple years, and thus develops even less chemistry than your regular national side.

Coaching an u21 team to a modicum of tactical effectiveness is hard actually; we're talking a side that pretty much changes the entirety of its playing staff every couple years, and thus develops even less chemistry than your regular national side.

Yep, difficult job.

Really looking forward Brazil-France tonight, even if it's just a friendly.

Definitely. Also looking forward to seeing how Brazil cope with the move to Europe and the bizarre anti-ageing process their team has undergone.

Guest taps01

Really looking forward Brazil-France tonight, even if it's just a friendly.

Is this being showed in the uk anywhere?

Which makes it crucial that you find the right man for the job. I doubt Pearce's credentials.