This Generation's Hardman

Astroblack

De Rossi is a canny shout.

Most of the alleged hardmen are just dirty cowards who would run a mile if squared up too.

Mascherano ain't too dissimilar to De Rossi n all.

Most of Uruguay's midfielders are nasty and cynical. Arevalo Rios in particular.

Hartlepool's finest Michael Brown is still playing, he's a cunt.

Carlos Marchena is a horrible piece of shit.

Gary Medel of Chile/Sevilla is off his nut. More wreckless idiot than hardman though.

I wouldn't say there are any that fill the traditional hardman role tbh, certainly not at the top level.

Never fully got behind the concept of 'hardman' in football, tbh.

They're footballers, not fighters. If they fight or try to instigate fights, they're daft and/or unprofessional (Lee Cattermole, Roy Keane etc). If they attack people craftily, they're cowardly (Lee Hendrie, Tim Cahill, Callum McManaman).

The only category of player who I would praise for demonstrating strength and bottle are the likes of Vincent Kompany, Brede Hangelaand etc - who for the most part, keep their cool, stay strong and swat away the pesky players who dig elbows and tolerate the smaller divers without stamping them to death (as they easily could).

That's why Shearer came out looking better than Roy Keane. There's nothing to suggest either would have beaten the other up, but Shearer played him, and Keane acted like an idiot and got sent off. Shearer also did well in a cup game when some no-mark looking to make a name kept fouling him pretty viciously. I remember Shearer still being pissed off in the post-match interview, but he kept his cool throughout the match and scored the winner.