RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Veteran English actor Dudley Sutton star of The Leather Boys, The Boys, The Devils and countless other great British movies regales the assembled throng at The Sohemian Society, London.

Veteran English actor Dudley Sutton star of The Leather Boys, The Boys, The Devils and countless other great British movies regales the assembled throng at The Sohemian Society, London.

That's him, those eyes.  :lol:

Alan Pardew fears his top players will want to leave Newcastle after Joe Kinnear’s radio rant.

Sportsmail can reveal that France midfielder Yohan Cabaye, one of the club’s most influential players, is furious that Kinnear called him ‘Kebab’ in Monday’s interview on talkSPORT.

Cabaye, 27, has been away with his national team in South America and learned of the director of football’s mispronunciation of his surname upon his return this week.

Been posted? From Da Mail.

It seems Ashley wanted to give his mate Kinnear a job. It's nothing to do with his ability or lack of ability, and would have been bad enough had it been some background role, but for the manager, regardless of what people think of Pardew, to have to report to him is disgraceful.

Kinnear embarrasses the club every time he speaks with inflammatory remarks and in the unlikely event of us doing well next season i'll still disagree with his appointment. He must mean it when he says things like "it's water off a ducks a**e" because it can't be nice being loathed by so many and ridiculed and condemned by the footballing nation.

It seems Ashley wanted to give his mate Kinnear a job. It's nothing to do with his ability or lack of ability, and would have been bad enough had it been some background role, but for the manager, regardless of what people think of Pardew, to have to report to him is disgraceful.

Kinnear embarrasses the club every time he speaks with inflammatory remarks and in the unlikely event of us doing well next season i'll still disagree with his appointment. He must mean it when he says things like "it's water off a ducks a**e" because it can't be nice being loathed by so many and ridiculed and condemned by the footballing nation.

I would love to see Pardew go but I can't see any reason for him having to report to Kinnear, the blokes (Kinnear) a serial liar and his bullshit will be even worse than the bullshit Pardew comes out with. 

We've made a bad situation even worse.

Alan Pardew fears his top players will want to leave Newcastle after Joe Kinnear’s radio rant.

Sportsmail can reveal that France midfielder Yohan Cabaye, one of the club’s most influential players, is furious that Kinnear called him ‘Kebab’ in Monday’s interview on talkSPORT.

Cabaye, 27, has been away with his national team in South America and learned of the director of football’s mispronunciation of his surname upon his return this week.

Been posted? From Da Mail.

As stupid as it was by kinnear its hardly good reason to want to leave a club, who in the real world really gets upset if someone says there name wrong, if you want to leave fair enough but don't use this as a excuse as will just cause more outrage and problems.

Probably just hammers it home that we've just employed a fucking bell end in a senior position when he can't get anyone's name right in an interview with a national radio station before said bell end has even been officially announced as head NUFC bell end. Any right-minded player who gets what's happening should want away.

Guest tollemache

See Carragher's comments about Suarez for a sensible take on the reasons players like that want to leave clubs, and the rationale behind it. Everything else is just so much bullshit. Same for Charles Insomnia

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8784191/Luis-Suarez-should-not-be-blinded-by-Liverpool-loyalty-says-Jamie-Carragher

It's a simple business really. If Cabaye wants to go to Monaco to be paid lots of money and have a team of stars assembled around him then absolutely fine, but can we have lots and lots of money now please.

The name pronouncing is just childish imo, got help JFK if we ever bring in someone like Salihamidžić as a coach. Cabaye clearly wanted to leave prior to this, but it may have rubber stamped his stance.

I see those mispronunciations are being glossed over here like they're something completely irrelevant. It's incredibly disrespectful imo. No surprise the French press have picked up on it.

Someone got my name wrong the other day, I didn't kick off. Funny that.

Guest tollemache

I don't think journalists picking up on an easy story is much of a barometer of whether something is significant.

The mispronunciations are horrible and are hardly going to inspire confidence in his intelligence but I'd be surprised if any of the players thought much other than "ffs, daft codger". I mean, old man in struggling with foreign words shocker. Of much more concern to them will be the fact that there's pressure on the manager, the fans aren't happy and there appears to be some disagreement between key figures as to how to run the club

Joe Kinnear has never been one to resist a laugh at his own expense. So he enjoyed a good chuckle behind the wheel of his car when he heard a radio reporter suggesting that by leaving Oxford to become the Luton Town manager he was swapping a club with both feet in the Second Division grave to a club with only one.

There was, however, a compelling reason for Kinnear's switch a month ago. Buying and selling players for Oxford on a freelance basis, with no input into the team, he just did not feel involved enough, did not feel any real sense of fulfilment.

After almost two years' recuperation since his heart attack in March 1999, he was desperate to start yelling at players on the training field again and begin moulding and building another team. And any new club's league position was irrelevant, Kinnear just wanted to feel like he was making a difference again.

He realised how badly he was longing for a return when he bumped into Sir Alex Ferguson before last summer's Euro 2000 final and Fergie casually broached the subject of whether he had considered going back into management. Kinnear was surprised to hear himself say: "Christ, I'd go back in the morning."

From a Guardian article in 2001: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/mar/17/newsstory.sport1

Honestly can't see it being any different this time around, he's just not the type to sit in the background at all.

Joe Kinnear was yesterday confirmed as Luton Town's director of football, his second such posting with a struggling Second Division club this year.

Luton, languishing in 23rd position, hope the appointment will signal a change in their fortunes; this was not noticeably the case at 24th-placed Oxford United, whom Kinnear quit last week after four months in the job.

"I am delighted to be involved with Luton," he said, "and believe the club has huge potential. My role is to ensure that this potential is realised on the field and that the club quickly regains some of the ground it has lost in recent years."

Kinnear's arrival leaves the manager Lil Fuccillo's position in doubt and it is unclear whether he will stay at the club.

Luton's chairman Mike Watson-Challis said: "I am delighted Joe has decided to join us and am confident that his vast experience and energy will assist the club to regain some of its past glories. Joe will be responsible for all football matters, reporting directly to the board, and we wish him every success."

An earlier Guardian article, before Kinnear demoted Fuccillo and installed himself as manager: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2001/feb/08/newsstory.sport4

Aye, I've finally felt brave enough to revisit his Wikipedia page. Am I Giggsing like a bastard?

I see those mispronunciations are being glossed over here like they're something completely irrelevant. It's incredibly disrespectful imo. No surprise the French press have picked up on it.

Someone got my name wrong the other day, I didn't kick off. Funny that.

I've lived in France and England and nobody has ever got my name right. Then again, I am not a professional footballer playing for the club Kinnear has just joined as a Director of Football. How can he not know Shola's name FFS? He could put some effort into learning the players' names. He managed Shola when he was here as a manager a couple of seasons ago.. :lol: