RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

I've found the mental strength to watch that entire Sky interview. There isn't a single sentence in there without an outright lie (verifiable facts) or a gross exaggeration (more subjective statements). In that sence it both terrifies me and gives me hope: maybe he IS lying or exaggerating about what has been discussed and/or agreed?

Imagine if he'd made it all up? :lol:

We can only dream.

Clutching at straws - he has done this once before, and the club have yet to confirm this.

Make it so!

Guest bimpy474

Just read the Mirror story, there's a bit where Simon Bird reckons : "It is hard not to view Kinnear’s return as Director of Football, as a major power play by Ashley, against Pardew, who only just clung on to his job at end of the season after a terrible campaign in league and domestic cups."

It's just nonsense, Ashley is the boss and could have sacked Pardew for the shit season we had, he had more than enough reasons to have hoyed Pardew.

I'm beginning to think this was always going to happen, whoever was our manager. As soon as Kinnear was well enough, he was coming back into some job or another. And the only reason he didn't come back last season was his sons death.

Imagine if it worked :lol:

Pardew probably won't be in charge on the opening day, can see him walking after meeting this fucking idiot.

Will he fuck man. :lol:

Do you not think the writing is on the wall for him?

Pardew probably won't be in charge on the opening day, can see him walking after meeting this fucking idiot.

Will he fuck man. :lol:

Do you not think the writing is on the wall for him?

Yes, but he won't walk.

Why? their probably thick as thieves already, I'd imagine Pardew and Kinnear were good pals with Ashley even before Hughton was fired.

Pardew won't leave without his payoff. So much blood and feathers to be shed over the next few months, it's going to get messy and were all stuck in the middle.

The club will be at its most divided in years, really worrying stuff.

Why? their probably thick as thieves already, I'd imagine Pardew and Kinnear were good pals with Ashley even before Hughton was fired.

The whole thing is fucking ludicrous so it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe I'm giving Pardew too much credit as a man.

Guest firetotheworks

I was talking to a mate the other week about Pardew and remember specifically saying "I reckon I'd take anyone over Pardew, except Joe Kinnear like."

Pardew won't leave without his payoff. So much blood and feathers to be shed over the next few months, it's going to get messy and were all stuck in the middle.

The club will be at its most divided in years, really worrying stuff.

it's newcastle, will probably lead to a title challange followed by relegation with record low points the season after.

Just read the Mirror story, there's a bit where Simon Bird reckons : "It is hard not to view Kinnear’s return as Director of Football, as a major power play by Ashley, against Pardew, who only just clung on to his job at end of the season after a terrible campaign in league and domestic cups."

It's just nonsense, Ashley is the boss and could have sacked Pardew for the s*** season we had, he had more than enough reasons to have hoyed Pardew.

I'm beginning to think this was always going to happen, whoever was our manager. As soon as Kinnear was well enough, he was coming back into some job or another. And the only reason he didn't come back last season was his sons death.

Certainly his outrageous claim a few years back that a contract was just waiting to be signed for his return seems a million times more likely after today's events..

Has anyone ever died on the job at NUFC before?

They're about to.

:lol: What I was thinking.  Surely taking this isn't going to be good for his health?

He's too stupid and arrogant to get stressed. He was effortlessly guiding us to success before his heart attack. Criticism doesn't mean he's doing poorly, it's just journalists being cunts. His heart's at risk from steak bakes, not worrying about how the teams doing or lying awake worrying about tactics. The occasional wander to the training ground to show his face will probably do him good.

I've found the mental strength to watch that entire Sky interview. There isn't a single sentence in there without an outright lie (verifiable facts) or a gross exaggeration (more subjective statements). In that sence it both terrifies me and gives me hope: maybe he IS lying or exaggerating about what has been discussed and/or agreed?

“It is all water under the bridge. When I took over we were third from bottom and we were lying 12th when I had my heart attack. You could get a million to one on that we’d go down. The people around the club tried to implicate me in the fact we were relegated. In fact, it was a load of crap. If I’d been there, it would never have happened.”

Looked it up and I believe we were 15th when he left (he had his heart attack before the West Brom game so theoretically he left us 15th although we went 13th after that game so he still lied either way).

According to someone on twitter, the form in our last 8 games with him in charge was as follows: LLDDLLLD. So he of course had an influence on our relegation.

You couldn't get odds of a million to one.

And finally:

I've never been a manager of a club that's been relegated

He got relegated as manager of Luton in 2001.

This guy is just a serial liar. Surely a DoF needs to be cool headed with extensive knowledge of football in other European and worldwide leagues. A DoF needs to have a wide contact base and I would of thought a likable personality. JFK hasn't had any experience in football for the past 9 years besides the stint he had as manager for us. Crazy.

http://www.football365.com/faves/8779621/F365-Says

Kinnear's Appointment Proves Ashley Hasn't Learnt

Why on earth would Mike Ashley appoint Joe Kinnear as Newcastle's new director of football? The owner's failure to learn will inevitably lead to more problems...

Last Updated: 16/06/13 at 21:30

Joe Kinnear. Joe F**king Kinnear. This is madness from Mike Ashley.

It seems that the Newcastle owner can't make a good decision without having to balance it out with another idea so hare-brained that it deserves its own padded cell. Win promotion under Chris Hughton; sack him after only four months back in the Premier League. Finish fifth under Alan Pardew; hand him an eight-year contract. Watch Pardew's stock plummet; bring back Joe Kinnear to 'oversee playing style and transfers'. It's a see-saw of mayhem that proves that despite baby steps in the right direction, Newcastle's...umm...castle is still built on weak foundations.

You would think that the club might have leaked the possibility of Kinnear's appointment a week ago to gauge the fans' reaction before making a final decision, but in some ways Ashley is a smart man and he will have known what to expect. In other ways, he's just appointed Joe Kinnear to be his new director of football. The same Joe Kinnear who managed to squeeze 52 expletives into his first press conference as interim manager back in 2008, made himself an enemy of the fans and won only four of his 20 matches in charge before stepping aside due to health problems three months before Newcastle's relegation.

If Newcastle supporters weren't already aware that Ashley doesn't give two hoots about their opinion, they certainly are now. It's a long time since Ashley's contrived 'I'm one of you' schtick and the owner has clearly given up completely on trying to get fans back on-side. The 'Cockney Mafia' endured stinging vitriol during Kinnear's first reign at St. James' Park and now the 66-year-old returns to the Wonga Stadium - or whatever it's called - the reception is unlikely to be any different.

What on earth persuaded Ashley to make this appointment? Kinnear claims it's "an interesting role for myself" - he must be grateful after having Newcastle as his only employer in the last nine years - but there is next to nothing in his past record to suggest he's suited to the position. To his credit, Kinnear's signings in January 2009 - Kevin Nolan, Peter Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor (in part-exchange for Charles Insomnia N'Zogbia) - were all useful additions to the Magpies' squad, but that still doesn't explain why anyone would trust him to oversee all transfer activity, let alone the team's playing style.

Newcastle have gradually made shrewd changes to their transfer policy during Ashley's tenure with Graham Carr tasked to find value across Europe. Last season's disappointment lay not in the players who were eventually signed in January, but Ashley's failure to back Pardew in the summer window following a season in which the Magpies over-achieved. If hindsight shows that Ashley made a glaring mistake in summer 2012, then one wonders what will be made of Kinnear's appointment in 12 months' time.

There have been suggestions that Kinnear has been brought in to speed up Pardew's exit, but that would be entirely unnecessary. Despite his eight-year contract, reports claim there is a clause in Pardew's deal stipulating that he can be sacked with only a year's compensation. Ashley's bold move was merely a gesture to underline his faith in the manager after he led the club to a fifth-place finish in the Premier League in 2012.

It is difficult to ascertain just why Ashley has made this move and if piling pressure on Pardew to get results was a consideration, the owner will definitely get his money's worth with Kinnear. The new director of football has never been afraid to speak his mind - just ask Simon Bird - and his appointment will have caused great embarrasment to Pardew, who is also known for his bullish outbursts. After last season's struggles, the last thing Newcastle needed was to make life harder for themselves, but everything is now in place for a dramatic implosion.

That's gonna be some first discussion. :lol: To for all intents and purposes two football dinosaurs gabbling on about incomprehensible and mindnumbing football nonsense which in their minds is tactical genius. I honestly feel numb.

I was talking to a mate the other week about Pardew and remember specifically saying "I reckon I'd take anyone over Pardew, except Joe Kinnear like."

I've always said the same too. Knew the cunt would come slithering back in to my life.

Guest bimpy474

It's just nonsense, Ashley is the boss and could have sacked Pardew for the s*** season we had, he had more than enough reasons to have hoyed Pardew.

Certainly his outrageous claim a few years back that a contract was just waiting to be signed for his return seems a million times more likely after today's events..

Exactly, it's like all the pieces finally falling in to place. I still don't think he'll be manager because of his age and health. But Kinnear's appointment of the new manager scares the shit out me just as much though.