RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

That is just great knowing that our new director of football is a fully paid up member of mensa. Of course he will be brighter than any fan of Newcastle. We all know that  we are idiots for supporting the toon.

I was once  told "the more you know, the more you  know you don't know". Perhaps our brightest  employee could  inform us as it what it means, as apparently we are all too thick to understand.

Or  perhaps  we have all been hoodwinked, and that he is just a fully paid up member.

I know what I think (not that I have the cognitive ability to so). 

Sounds like official confirmation is incoming :anguish:

What makes you say that?

This cannot be real....Cannot.....IF there ever was a bit of truth in this surely surely after last nights interview they've seen sense.

Such a staggering decision, this. Feels surreal. This is a club that just avoided relegation by five points, in a season with virtually no off-field disruption. God knows what will happen with transfers this summer but as I said in the relegationometer thread, if we get off to a bad start this season then we could quite easily be in massive, massive trouble. We all know there were problems that needed addressing but it feels like pretty much overnight we're on the verge of the club falling apart.

Despite the club trying to put a gloss on everything with talk of 'plans' and financial stability, we have been a club on the edge of crisis for the past season.

Anyone who said that the buying policy last summer was unacceptable was basically rubbished and it wasn't until the injuries started to bite and Pardew's painful limitations as a manager became more and more obvious that people started to wake up to the realities of where we were heading.

The powers that be within the club exacerbated all this by saying that Europe had come 'a year too early'(wonder if a lottery winner would say that after getting someone to buy them a ticket and it proved to be a winner..!?) and then launched into a mad panic - where was the 5 year plan then ? - of buying players in Jan in order to stave off what looked like inevitable relegation...even with - for them - a vast amount laid out on hastily-arranged transfers, we only just escaped the drop.

This all looks even MORE ridiculous when you consider that Ashley spent a large wedge of his cash investing in a lower division Scottish side last close season....

Think about all this , then remember that it is now SIX YEARS since Ashley bought NUFC - even with Shepherd's crazy transfer activities, we were viewed in a better light than we are now ; the club is possibly now the biggest laughing stock it has EVER been in the 50+ years I have been following it.

In spite of all the talk of progression to an 'Arsenal-style' policy, we have regressed as a club further than anyone would have dreamed and all of this is, IMHO, the fault of the owner.

He is the one who has made all the bad appointments and manipulated the departure of anyone who basically stood up to him or wanted to run things differently. Well, we have watched whilst he has run the show as per his wishes, and look where it has got us....a total football wrecking machine appointed as DOF who promptly goes on National Radio and slags off the people who pay their money to watch the dross he dished up last time he masqueraded as our 'manager' and adds fuel to the flames by his obvious ignorance of players' names which makes the club look even more stupid than they appeared by appointing him..

There is NO way I would step through the entrance to SJP until these people are gone - NONE. I wouldn't care if I never did again or they won the PL(fat chance) ; these people have ruined the club I loved for over half a century and I am sure there will be many fans who have the same thoughts.

Although it would be a disaster for the fans - who don't deserve all this - relegation would be a suitable destination for this lot just as Kinnear is a just and fitting representative of Ashley's regime.

Still, I suppose we are in a better state financially.......so THAT'S alright then..!!

Guest Roger Kint

What makes you say that?

The previous page reports it.

What makes you say that?

TS presenter opened his show (10am) with the news that it "is to be confirmed today" :'(

Let's hope they're wrong.

Ashley would appear to be well aware of the critical backlash this decision will provoke. He is only interested in Sports Direct and lo and behold in preparation for this shit storm of a season - Wonga/JFK & who knows what next - his lovely Sports Direct advertising is being stripped from the ground - he knows he is making us toxic therefore doesn't want his brand associated and I can only think it is purposeful and spiteful.

It's truly bizarre that all this is going on and he hasn't been confirmed in the job yet.

They're just scrabbling around trying to figure out how to explain 'Joe Kinnear is our DOF'

Guest icemanblue

In what context was he talking about the players when he got their names wrong? Going off here, the list of players happens to match those that have been linked with moves, or we're reported to want rid of. Coincedence?

On the plus side, it's good that Kinnear has shown just how batshit crazy he is from day one. Shortens his lifespan here dramatically, and creates a situation where for once the media are on our side.

In what context was he talking about the players when he got their names wrong? Going off here, the list of players happens to match those that have been linked with moves, or we're reported to want rid of. Coincedence?

He said he wanted a striker, they asked if there was other places we needed improved, he said we had a great midfield with tiote, yohan kebab, ben afree (then later ben afra)