Sunderland

Nobody

If Partridge fails to get a result against that lot, Poyet or no Poyet, then he really needs to walk away.

Pound for pound we`re head & shoulders ahead of them, only very poor planning & tactics would allow them anything from the game.

Massive gamble to bring in somebody without Premiership experience in their current predicament. Can see it backfiring masively..

It's not really that much of a gamble. So he's got no premiership experience, but he has shown that he can organise a side. I can think of a few managers with premiership experience who struggle with that. I agree though that he's not likely to work out long term, wrong man for the wrong club.

Not only does he have no experience at the highest level as a manager, he has also never been in a relegation fight with a poor squad of players bereft of confidence. He's been reasonably succesfull in the lower leagues and he could be a real find, but to me it sounds like a mighty gamble considering he needs to hit the ground running. If he doesn't get anything out of his first few fixtures (mainly at home against us), they could be in real trouble without a new manager bounce effect to save their sorry arses to look forward to. I don't see how you could see it as anything but a huge gamble on their part.

He's also just been hoyed out of a club for very strange reasons.

If Partridge fails to get a result against that lot, Poyet or no Poyet, then he really needs to walk away.

Pound for pound we`re head & shoulders ahead of them, only very poor planning & tactics would allow them anything from the game.

You'd hope after the last Derby result, our own players shouldn't need too much motivation to put the result right.

Its a cliche, but pin up that pic of PDC on his knees, on the dressing room wall.

It's clearly a gamble but in their position I'd be quite excited about it I think.

I think I'd just be keeping everything crossed TBH, I wouldn't really expect much. To a certain extent the only way is up for them obviously, but I think Poyet comes across as a right nob and I would be just as worried as happy.

Massive gamble to bring in somebody without Premiership experience in their current predicament. Can see it backfiring masively..

It's not really that much of a gamble. So he's got no premiership experience, but he has shown that he can organise a side. I can think of a few managers with premiership experience who struggle with that. I agree though that he's not likely to work out long term, wrong man for the wrong club.

Not only does he have no experience at the highest level as a manager, he has also never been in a relegation fight with a poor squad of players bereft of confidence. He's been reasonably succesfull in the lower leagues and he could be a real find, but to me it sounds like a mighty gamble considering he needs to hit the ground running. If he doesn't get anything out of his first few fixtures (mainly at home against us), they could be in real trouble without a new manager bounce effect to save their sorry arses to look forward to. I don't see how you could see it as anything but a huge gamble on their part.

It's better to gamble on what looks to be an astute manager than appoint a thicko with lots of premier league experience.

It's clearly a gamble but in their position I'd be quite excited about it I think.

The only reason you'd be excited is because he's an unknown, and you would be desperate. If I was a Sunderland fan, I would be bricking it at being 6 points adrift already and having an inexperienced manager come in, having to work with a deflated squad of poor players not of his choosing, and needing to grind out results straight away or be effectively relegated by Christmas.

The only reason you'd be excited is because he's an unknown, and you would be desperate. If I was a Sunderland fan, I would be bricking it at being 6 points adrift already and having an inexperienced manager come in, having to work with a deflated squad of poor players not of his choosing, and needing to grind out results straight away or be effectively relegated by Christmas.

Who would you prefer if you were a Sunderland fan?

It's better to gamble on what looks to be an astute manager than appoint a thicko with lots of premier league experience.

Maybe. I think as a Premiership club they still have a reasonable draw and they could have got a better, more experienced manager, be it British or foreign. That would have required them to be creative and willing to spend some money of course.

Maybe. I think as a Premiership club they still have a reasonable draw and they could have got a better, more experienced manager, be it British or foreign. That would have required them to be creative and willing to spend some money of course.

So any ideas who they could have appointed instead with more experience?

http://mibundesliga.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hitzfeld01_345x468.jpg

Even has the right colour tie!

Sticking close to home: Co Adriaanse, Frank Rijkaard, Dick Advocaat, maybe even Van Marwijk before he took the HSV job last week - and that's just some out of work ones, nevermind if you were actually willing to pay a release fee to get your man. I'm sure there are plenty of similar candidates from Belgium, France, Spain, etc available. If you were willing to spend enough on their salary the lure of the Premiership should be enough to get one or two good managers interested.

Sticking close to home: Co Adriaanse, Frank Rijkaard, Dick Advocaat, maybe even Van Marwijk before he took the HSV job last week - and that's just some out of work ones, nevermind if you were actually willing to pay a release fee to get your man. I'm sure there are plenty of similar candidates from Belgium, France, Spain, etc available. If you were willing to spend enough on their salary the lure of the Premiership should be enough to get one or two good managers interested.

None of those guys have worked in English football, so you could argue they've got even less experience than Poyet, who at least understands the game over here. So you'd be taking just as big a gamble but paying a lot more for it.

None of those guys have worked in English football, so you could argue they've got even less experience than Poyet, who at least understands the game over here. So you'd be taking just as big a gamble but paying a lot more for it.

As I said, I was just staying close to home. Similarly, there must be British managers, out of work or not, or managers with experience in the Premiership, that would have been attainable. I'm not suggesting any new manager does not represent a risk; they could appoint Ferguson and still go down. I just think appointing one from the lower leagues without any experience of top flight management or relegation battles is a huge gamble for a club like theirs. They took a similar gamble 6 months ago too, so I would have expected them to go as tried and trusted as they could this time to give themselves the best possible chance of staying up.

Not sure working in English football really matters. I would rather take a punt on someone in the mould of Pochettino or Laudrup than select from the usual pool of 7 or 8 hasbeens.

Same here. I also think that you need a manager who will relate to the club, and that's where I think they might have problems with Poyet. While I've always thought he'd be worth a punt for us, I don't think he'll hold Sunderland in the same high regard he would Newcastle, and hopefully that's why it will backfire.

Not sure working in English football really matters. I would rather take a punt on someone in the mould of Pochettino or Laudrup than select from the usual pool of 7 or 8 hasbeens.

:thup: been saying this for ages.

Obviously a great deal of risk associated with it, but would be great to think the club had the chance of identifying and appointing someone of their ilk. Highly unlikely though when MA gives the 'DoF' position to some geezer from his local.

The greatest piece of managerial footballing recruitment in modern football history was Arsenal plucking Wenger from the J-League. Incredible.

:(

:(

What?