Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Bent is better than some think, you don't score over 100 premiership goals if your s***.

Still a bit meh, about him signing mind, if he does.

nobody denies his ability to score goals, it's if feeding him is to the benefit of the team overall.

Bent is better than some think, you don't score over 100 premiership goals if your s***.

I agree with this, but think we should be able to aim for a more useful complete striker.

Guest bimpy474

nobody denies his ability to score goals, it's if feeding him is to the benefit of the team overall.

Well true but with Pardew and his tactics i'm sure that'll be the same for anyone we sign. Obviously we need a pacey striker say, won't matter if he's Usain Bolt as Pardew hasn't a clue how to play to his team or individual players.

Guest bimpy474

I agree with this, but think we should be able to aim for a more useful complete striker.

I'm the same, that's why i said i'm a bit meh. I just think Bent isn't a disasterous signing as some seem to be thinking.

Bent will score goals. He's arguably stronger and better in the air no? May not be a better striker of the ball or be able to do the magic that Cisse can, but he's not some slack s*** player. I'd rather keep Cisse but if it means we lose Cisse and we get Bent in return, I'd be upset that we lost Cisse but a little relieved we've picked up a decent striker with experience in the league.

Having said that, if this also means we sign a Remy, then I'd be more at ease.

He won't score if he gets s*** service like Cisse did last season.

Of course not, and nor is he an upgrade on our #9 imo either. I'm just saying the guy is a pretty good striker and would be a "like-for-like" replacement, as much as it can be. I'd obviously not like to be in a position where Darren Bent would replace Cisse; rather instead be an option off the bench.

Guest bimpy474

We can all see that Bent and Cisse are not made for a front 3, so if Pardew was thinking of going 4-3-3 it's a dumb signing.

I think he's going to go 4-2-3-1 again but if Cisse stays, Bent will play deeper where Sissoko played in the 4-2-3-1. If i'm right, this will only work if we have decent wide men, Ben Arfa on the right is fine, too deep for me but he has to play. Jonas or Obertan on the left, just ridiculous.

Bent will score goals for us I have no doubt about that. I'd prefer better, but in a scenario where Cisse goes and he's on his own up front, I'd tip him to get 15-20.

How many did you tip Cisse to get last season?

I thought he'd get close to 20 but I didn't account for us being so poor. I don't think we'll be as bad as last season or as good as the season before but I just have faith Bent would score goals here.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll be a massive bargain if we get him for under £5million.

An excellent replacement for Cisse if it comes to that.

i've said for a bit i'd see him as a replacement for cisse (or rather if he came then cisse would be sold). originally i thought it would be because of a semi-carroll type bid but maybe this wonga thing has been rumbling on for a bit longer ?

We can all see that Bent and Cisse are not made for a front 3, so if Pardew was thinking of going 4-3-3 it's a dumb signing.

I think he's going to go 4-2-3-1 again but if Cisse stays, Bent will play deeper where Sissoko played in the 4-2-3-1. If i'm right, this will only work if we have decent wide men, Ben Arfa on the right is fine, too deep for me but he has to play. Jonas or Obertan on the left, just ridiculous.

Can Gouffran not play on the left?

Playing Darren Bent as a number 10 will only work if the opposition don't bother turning up.

Can Gouffran not play on the left?

was supposed to at times last season and never seemed to get into the box. getting someone else in there was last seasons biggest failing for me. it's why we need an aubameyang/remy type. still possible i suppose as it sometimes takes a while to settle into a new style like the prem.

I'm shocked anyone's advocating Bent as a replacement for Cisse. Crazy. We would be massively downgrading, to a bloke that wasn't deemed good enough to play for Villa.

or wasn't deemed as better than benteke for the way villa play. like saying micky quinn wasn't good nough for us when he left.

Bent will score goals. He's arguably stronger and better in the air no? May not be a better striker of the ball or be able to do the magic that Cisse can, but he's not some slack shit player. I'd rather keep Cisse but if it means we lose Cisse and we get Bent in return, I'd be upset that we lost Cisse but a little relieved we've picked up a decent striker with experience in the league.

If this is in reply to my post then yeah I know Bent can score goals.  Its the suggestion that Cisse wouldn't that I found idiotic.  As far as Bent goes I've always made my opinion on him clear.  Excellent finisher, if he gets lots of chances in the penalty area.  In every other way he's a millstone around a teams neck.

Bent will score goals. He's arguably stronger and better in the air no? May not be a better striker of the ball or be able to do the magic that Cisse can, but he's not some slack s*** player. I'd rather keep Cisse but if it means we lose Cisse and we get Bent in return, I'd be upset that we lost Cisse but a little relieved we've picked up a decent striker with experience in the league.

If this is in reply to my post then yeah I know Bent can score goals.  Its the suggestion that Cisse wouldn't that I found idiotic.  As far as Bent goes I've always made my opinion on him clear.  Excellent finisher, if he gets lots of chances in the penalty area.  In every other way he's a millstone around a teams neck.

Plus if he loses interest which he undoubtedly will then he becomes ridiculously shite.

With us he had a massive value and we got a fair wedge for him.

He goes to Newcastle you'd be lucky to recoup whatever you pay a year or two down the line.

Guest bimpy474

Playing Darren Bent as a number 10 will only work if the opposition don't bother turning up.

This is unfortunately what I think Pardew will do, Bent could play there but not in the creative way we usually see a number 10 playing.

Pardew will use it in the direct flick on sense imo.

I'm shocked anyone's advocating Bent as a replacement for Cisse. Crazy. We would be massively downgrading, to a bloke that wasn't deemed good enough to play for Villa.

Without getting in to the wider question of Cisse etc etc, to label Bent as "not deemed good enough to play for Villa" is kind of missing the point on him. There's a reason he's not playing for us, and its not because he's not good enough, it's to do with the kind of player he is.

Whether he's the sort of player you could us or not is a whole different question which I don't really feel qualified to get in to, but the "not good enough to play for Villa" thing is an inaccurate misconception.

Guest bimpy474

He'd be a decent back up, would take him as that 100% but certainly not as a replacement.

Tbf to Bent, deemed not good enough by Lambert. Doesn't mean Bent is complete cack like.

I see your point but it feels like you're moving into a more forward looking style that will suit you well when you get your defense sorted out whereas with bent we are regressing towards you under McLeish

If we do bin off Cisse I'd much prefer a different type of striker to replace him but wouldn't be 'furious' if we got Bent although it'd be underwhelming as fuck. If he stays, I'd have Remy/similar as a priority ahead of Bent.

Tbf to Bent, deemed not good enough by Lambert. Doesn't mean Bent is complete cack like.

If he was to be signed for us and our current strikers were left still intact, he'd be the 2nd best striker on our books. SO, if the top man is Cisse and he's sold - then being "stuck" with Bent is a much better option given his performances in the PL leading up to this upcoming season vs. having just Gouffran, Shola and Adam Campbell.

Bent's a bit below Cisse but He's a good player. The same posters against the signing of Bent per se want a 4-3-3 with one goalscorer in the side. Football doesn't work like that.

I agree. And while many of us would love to sign someone of better quality than Cisse or someone like Benteke or Lukaku who's an all around beast, Bent isn't like signing Carlton Cole. Bent's probably far better than Cisse is in the air and being physical with less of the magical that Cisse has done for us.