Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

I'm not sure how he's a poorer version of Cisse as he offers nothing outside the box either. He tries to but simply doesn't.

Cisse's capable of some great things outside of the box from time to time, he's just not very consistent at it.

Sometimes going from good to downright awful, Bent is just completely incapable of doing that.

Some of the goals Cisse has scored for this club Bent wouldn't be able to do.

So yeah i would say he's a poorer version of Cisse and not someone who would compliment him very well IMO.

Not sure why this bit is relevant. He does score the odd fantastic goal (1 last season I can think of) but last season he missed so many easy chances in the box which Bent would probably have finished (or done better with). His one touch finishing in particular was dreadful for the most part and that's when he managed to stay onside.

I'm not sure how he's a poorer version of Cisse as he offers nothing outside the box either. He tries to but simply doesn't.

Apart from all the goals he's scored from outside the box you mean? ???  Including a goal of the season and some goal of the month contenders.

Can't think of many from last year. Southampton and possibly Bordeaux? Not something to brag about in over 44 games.

Cisse's capable of some great things outside of the box from time to time, he's just not very consistent at it.

Sometimes going from good to downright awful, Bent is just completely incapable of doing that.

So yeah i would say he's a poorer version of Cisse and not someone who would compliment him very well IMO.

Not sure why this bit is relevant. He does score the odd fantastic goal (1 last season I can think of) but last season he missed so many easy chances in the box which Bent would probably have finished (or done better with). His one touch finishing in particular was dreadful for the most part and that's when he managed to stay onside.

Right and the season before he was scoring everything he touched.  His actual ability is somewhere in the middle of those two examples.  He'll scores goals as a poacher, that's what his record suggests.  But unlike Bent he can also produce something out of nothing.  He doesn't need to be able to do that consistently to be far better at it than Bent because he simply can't do that, ever.

Think he will be a quality addition as Sholas replacement. Have Zero confidence we will bring in anyone else though.

Cisse, Bent, Gouffran, Campbell, Sammy, Shola... plenty of depth there.

:scared:

If we plan to use Gouffran mostly as a centre forward, this is more than enough depth. I'd like us to sign another forward leaning player, whose role should be determined by Gouffran's position. I wonder if Pardew has enough input over transfers for this to be the case, though.

Apart from all the goals he's scored from outside the box you mean? ???  Including a goal of the season and some goal of the month contenders.

Can't think of many from last year. Southampton and possibly Bordeaux? Not something to brag about in over 44 games.

I can't think of any from ever with Bent though so no matter how many times he did it its still going to be infinitely more than him.  Also judging Cisse purely on last season ignores the fact that last season was clearly at odds with the past few years of his career, its not indicative of his ability.  His ability falls somewhere in between his first half season form and last season.

Think he will be a quality addition as Sholas replacement. Have Zero confidence we will bring in anyone else though.

If we plan to use Gouffran mostly as a centre forward, this is more than enough depth. I'd like us to sign another forward leaning player, whose role should be determined by Gouffran's position. I wonder if Pardew has enough input over transfers for this to be the case, though.

Gouffran could be seen as cover for Cisse and cover for the wider position if we signed a proper wide forward.

The main problem I see with Bent is that we would surely have to promise him quite a big role if we signed him. I don't think he would be happy with just being Shola's replacement. Especially when Shola is still here.

Right and the season before he was scoring everything he touched.  His actual ability is somewhere in the middle of those two examples.  He'll scores goals as a poacher, that's what his record suggests.  But unlike Bent he can also produce something out of nothing.  He doesn't need to be able to do that cosistently to be far better at it than Bent because Bent simply can't do that, ever.

Far too much emphasis is being placed on some very good goals Cisse over a year ago. Strikers get almost all of their chances inside the box so that's surely the thing to be the best at? Not hoping a 25 yard volley goes in once every few months?

It is Cisse or Bent, the two cannot work together. Either can work well through the middle though. Cisse could possibly work with Gouffran if we are going 442.

Vital we sign another versatile winger/striker of quality.  Really we need another Winger after that....   

Ben Arfa/New    Gouffran/New

Instead of:

Ben Arfa/Obertan    Gouffran/Sammy

Could cope with just one new though just so Sammy can get his chance and we can put the will he make it situation out to pasture.. also little hope of that happening though looking at Shola and now Obertan.

Right and the season before he was scoring everything he touched.  His actual ability is somewhere in the middle of those two examples.  He'll scores goals as a poacher, that's what his record suggests.  But unlike Bent he can also produce something out of nothing.  He doesn't need to be able to do that cosistently to be far better at it than Bent because Bent simply can't do that, ever.

Far too much emphasis is being placed on some very good goals Cisse over a year ago. Strikers get almost all of their chances inside the box so that's surely the thing to be the best at? Not hoping a 25 yard volley goes in once every few months?

Not if its absolutely all you're good at, its not a good thing to be so one dimensional that nobody even bothers with you unless you're six yards from goal.  Or to be so limited as a Footballer that if someone doesn't create chances for you there's absolutely no chance of goals.  Not to mention he seems completely incapable of playing with another striker.

I can't think of any from ever with Bent though so no matter how many times he did it its still going to be infinitely more than him.  Also judging Cisse purely on last season ignores the fact that last season was clearly at odds with the past few years of his career, its not indicative of his ability.  His ability falls somewhere in between his first half season form and last season.

It's hard to do anything but criticise his finishing when he's missing easy chances in the box all season.

Bent is more like Ba. He'd force the ball into the net instead of trying to talk it in like Cisse does.

One season doesn't define a players goal scoring ability though.  I mean Cisse's goals to games ratio was better than Bent's last season.  But I don't think that means Bent all of a sudden can't hit a barn door.

One season doesn't define a players goal scoring ability though.  I mean Cisse's goals to games ratio was better than Bent's last season.  But I don't think that means Bent all of a sudden can't hit a barn door.

Bent hardly stated a league game after September and 5 of his 6 goals came when he started.

http://espnfc.com/players/format/design09/playerGameLog?playerId=8111&positionId=19&teamId=362&lang=EN&league=eng.1&xhr=0

No idea if that'll work.

Guest strongbow69

I just felt sick  :(

I actually really want to sign him. I think we'd get his best years out of him.

I'm not bothered if we sign him. I just hope its not at the result of losing Cisse and that's our business done. I hope we are looking for a wide-type striker like Remy if Aub is going to Dortmund.

I actually hate playing against Bent just like Defoe. Just figure those guys always score against us.

If Bent comes in and he's part of the squad and not the focal point or our leading striker AND that means we finally cut ties with Shola (who I have 0 issues with apart from he's not up to being our backup striker) I'm all for it.

Bent's a ruthless finisher and really like what I've read from Brummie regarding the player. If we sign Bent, I'd be happy today. I'd be very pissed if we didn't go after a wide forward though, as we clearly need that.

Cisse, Bent and Gouffran with some youngsters like Campbell and Sameobi getting some game time is a pretty good striker line up for a club that will primarily be playing with one up top with no European football.

Way better than Shola and Xisco  :mike: