Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Villa have leapfrogged us. Quite depressing really, forward thinking manager ridding their club of expensive backwards thinking players and building towards a long term goal with younger players on the upwards curve. While we sign their cast-offs amid 0 signature competition.

Guest neesy111

What an utterly pointless thread, just another chance to whinge about things that haven't happened.

Another thread for you to moan on about this. :pow:

What an utterly pointless thread, just another chance to whinge about things that haven't happened.

Why does this thread change things then? people have been complaining about Bent for weeks.

It now just has a dedicated thread :lol:

Guest bimpy474

I have not heard a bad word said about Bent at the club, amongst the fans, or in the media by the management team, absolutely not a peep.

If he is training with the kids, I would say that is more likely to be due to an impending move than anything else. Alan Hutton was told to do the same thing, and was pretty good about it, said it wasn't malicious from Lambert, but he'd told him he wasn't going to be playing for us this season, so it made sense. Shortly after, we sent him on loan.

99 percent of Villa fans will wish Bent well when he moves on, it isn't that he's a bad player, far from it - it was only two years ago that we bought him in January and he without a doubt kept us up - it is just that the type of player he is does not fit in with what Lambert wants.

Anyone who has watched us last season for more than ten minutes can spot that.

I have to say, though, it's funny that six and a bit months ago, Lambert was being practically ridiculed by the likes of Lawrenson, Hansen, Lineker et al for playing Benteke instead of Bent.

Look how that turned out.

I'm not questioning Lambert's decision with the team, he's got it right and you play good football, a little naive maybe at times but still great stuff to watch. And it's only going to get better imo.

I just think Bent doesn't deserve that kind of treatment, moving clubs or not.

I have not heard a bad word said about Bent at the club, amongst the fans, or in the media by the management team, absolutely not a peep.

If he is training with the kids, I would say that is more likely to be due to an impending move than anything else. Alan Hutton was told to do the same thing, and was pretty good about it, said it wasn't malicious from Lambert, but he'd told him he wasn't going to be playing for us this season, so it made sense. Shortly after, we sent him on loan.

99 percent of Villa fans will wish Bent well when he moves on, it isn't that he's a bad player, far from it - it was only two years ago that we bought him in January and he without a doubt kept us up - it is just that the type of player he is does not fit in with what Lambert wants.

I have to say, though, it's funny that six and a bit months ago, Lambert was being practically ridiculed by the likes of Lawrenson, Hansen, Lineker et al for playing Benteke instead of Bent.

I'm not questioning Lambert's decision with the team, he's got it right and you play good football, a little naive maybe at times but still great stuff to watch. And it's only going to get better imo.

agree with that, also doesn't help Villa's position in getting the best fee possible as clubs will laugh at the £8m asking price when he's been told to train with the kids and that he wouldn't play at all. Very strange move

agree with that, also doesn't help Villa's position in getting the best fee possible as clubs will laugh at the £8m asking price when he's been told to train with the kids and that he wouldn't play at all. Very strange move

That's my point.

He'll be about to move somewhere, as in imminently. I don't imagine this was sprung on Bent when he arrived at training.

If we do sign Bent then we need to see a big change in our style of play and the service will need to dramatically improve, if it doesn't then he'll experience the same as Cisse has season just gone, and that's the worry whilst Pardew is about. He does score goals but he's a hugely limited footballer when it comes to everything else.

Not worth 8million, maybe 5 tops. Think Villa will want to cut their losses though and knock the asking price down.

If he scores v Sunderland then it's all worth the pain.

If we do sign Bent then we need to see a big change in our style of play and the service will need to dramatically improve, if it doesn't then he'll experience the same as Cisse has season just gone, and that's the worry whilst Pardew is about. He does score goals but he's a hugely limited footballer when it comes to everything else.

Not worth 8million, maybe 5 tops. Think Villa will want to cut their losses though and knock the asking price down.

If he scores v Sunderland then it's all worth the pain.

He'll experience much worse than Cisse, because unlike Cisse he can't score goals without very good service.  Personally I think he's worth £3m as backup, that's it, and even then its the wrong backup (we should have a plan B not a plan A-).

If he has a cut-price move away from Villa on the cards, he would be much better served going somewhere where he'll be top dog and start every game. Unless we promise him that here, which would obviously be a massive mistake.

Yeah, I just hope that's what he's thinking and what we're thinking.  We offer him a deal as a squad player and he goes elsewhere.  It'll be well worth seeing the usual "See we can't even compete with [insert team here]" bullshit here to not have Bent at the club.

The longer this window goes on without us bringing a striker in the more i'd accept us signing him like. I know he's nothing special anymore but I not pinning any hopes of us pulling a wonder signing out.

Guest taps01

I'd be happy with this signing if its shola's replacement and we sign another striker... What are the chances!?!

I'm really trying to put a positive spin and this is what I came up with: If it's under £4m and it's to replace Shola, this is OK.

Of course, the main worry is that he's our alternative to Aubameyang and that's all we'll get up front, which would be suicidal. Bent plus a striker-cum-winger would be alright but putting Bent amongst our current squad is pointless. :(

Given the right service, he will score goals. Problem is, this is us we're talking about - if we can't give Cisse the sufficient amount of support, how are we going to ever make any use of Bent?

Someone is going to get a bargain with Bent.

He's a brilliant finisher, and I can't really remember seeing many strikers so good at reading the offside rule - that's something Benteke could learn from him on, he's so good at it.

There are two issues, though.

Firstly, if you don't give him the ball where he wants it, he's not going to score. So, with Ashley Young and Downing whipping balls in for him, he scored lots of goals. Under McLeish, where there was not enough attacking intent, he was a waste of space.

Secondly, he applies the finish, but that is quite literally all he does. Benteke, by comparison, is a totally different kettle of fish - he offers so much for the team, he works hard, he is an intelligent player who knows how to use space. Bent doesn't do anything like that, and it is anathema to what Lambert wants from his players. There aren't that many strikers of Bent's type around these days, and it's for a reason.

If he goes to a team who can guarantee getting the ball to him a fair bit, and who are willing to work around the fact that he doesn't do anything else, someone will get a bargain.

Sounds like a poor version of Cisse. So I guess we must be lining him up if Cisse goes to a club which will pay big money.

I'm not sure how he's a poorer version of Cisse as he offers nothing outside the box either. He tries to but simply doesn't.

Cisse's capable of some great things outside of the box from time to time, he's just not very consistent at it.

Sometimes going from good to downright awful, Bent is just completely incapable of doing that.

Some of the goals Cisse has scored for this club Bent wouldn't be able to do.

So yeah i would say he's a poorer version of Cisse and not someone who would compliment him very well IMO.

I'm not sure how he's a poorer version of Cisse as he offers nothing outside the box either. He tries to but simply doesn't.

Apart from all the goals he's scored from outside the box you mean? ???  Including a goal of the season and some goal of the month contenders.

Newcastle August - December 2014

Bent and Cisse up front.

Bent Upfront and Cisse on the right.

Bent upfront and Cisse on the bench.

Bent injured.

Cisse upfront.

Cisse barren for two months.

Pardew sacked.