Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

He's less of a footballer than Cisse imo. You need to build your team around creating for him or he's essentially pointless.

This.

I almost think he'd be better off going somewhere like Hull, where they'd probably be willing to do that.

As said above, he's a quality finisher, and a good professional, but unless you are happy to put up with the fact he won't do anything else, and you're relatively confident of getting the ball to him, he's not going to produce.

You couldn't pay me to take him tbh.

He's like a shit Michael Owen. Will score you goals with decent service (ha!) but offers fuck all else.

What a summer we're in for.

Well he's not shit, so that's a bonus.

Of course he's not shit, and anyone who thinks he is clearly needs to take off their doom-tinted specs.

At what he does, he's amongst the best. The question is, whether what he does is what you need.

Given the right service, he will score goals. Problem is, this is us we're talking about - if we can't give Cisse the sufficient amount of support, how are we going to ever make any use of Bent?

Someone is going to get a bargain with Bent.

He's a brilliant finisher, and I can't really remember seeing many strikers so good at reading the offside rule - that's something Benteke could learn from him on, he's so good at it.

There are two issues, though.

Firstly, if you don't give him the ball where he wants it, he's not going to score. So, with Ashley Young and Downing whipping balls in for him, he scored lots of goals. Under McLeish, where there was not enough attacking intent, he was a waste of space.

Secondly, he applies the finish, but that is quite literally all he does. Benteke, by comparison, is a totally different kettle of fish - he offers so much for the team, he works hard, he is an intelligent player who knows how to use space. Bent doesn't do anything like that, and it is anathema to what Lambert wants from his players. There aren't that many strikers of Bent's type around these days, and it's for a reason.

If he goes to a team who can guarantee getting the ball to him a fair bit, and who are willing to work around the fact that he doesn't do anything else, someone will get a bargain.

Obertan and Jonas the time is yours.

Eh? We've been given the green light by who? Aston Villa?  :lol:

Moke Ashley probably.

I'll be delighted if we get him. I'll bump this when he's our top scorer next May.

I dread to think what I'll be watching every weakend if Bent ends up our top scorer.  Much the same shit I had to watch last season I suppose just maybe with more goals..

A decent back up to Cisse. You'd think he was Heskey by some of the comments I've heard over the last couple of weeks.

No one will disagree with that though.... thing is you need to come back to reality.

What will happen is he will play upfront with Cisse in a 4-4-2 with no width and it will fail massively.

No one would be against Bent if it was just merely to add depth to the squad but it won't happen like that.

This is my fear as well, Cisse and Bent are players that play in the same position......it's obvious that they shouldn't play in the same team.

I agree with the comment that he'll be a good backup to Cisse, but that's about it.

To be honest, if we are looking for a backup (or even a replacement) for Cisse, why don't we go for someone like Defoe (not sure if he's available, but he's not exactly been in favour at Spurs over the last few years)...all similar players but he's by far the most consistent!

Moke Ashley probably.

I'll be delighted if we get him. I'll bump this when he's our top scorer next May.

I dread to think what I'll be watching every weakend if Bent ends up our top scorer.  Much the same shit I had to watch last season I suppose..

If you watch the season review (don't) Cisse could have had 20 goals very, very easily so getting someone in who can finish regularly would be a huge improvement.

We won't be signing him for the bench, Kinnear talked about getting a partner for Cisse up front nad in his and Pardew's deranged mind that will be a partnership that will work together and will be stuck with forever. We need someone who can hold up the ball and can shift to the wing. Bent will do alright but he'll just be a temptation to push our wingers who are better cutting inside wider and wider and encouraging shit cross after shit cross.

A decent back up to Cisse. You'd think he was Heskey by some of the comments I've heard over the last couple of weeks.

No one will disagree with that though.... thing is you need to come back to reality.

What will happen is he will play upfront with Cisse in a 4-4-2 with no width and it will fail massively.

No one would be against Bent if it was just merely to add depth to the squad but it won't happen like that.

This is my fear as well, Cisse and Bent are players that play in the same position......it's obvious that they shouldn't play in the same team.

I agree with the comment that he'll be a good backup to Cisse, but that's about it.

To be honest, if we are looking for a backup (or even a replacement) for Cisse, why don't we go for someone like Defoe (not sure if he's available, but he's not exactly been in favour at Spurs over the last few years)...all similar players but he's by far the most consistent!

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

We won't be signing him for the bench, Kinnear talked about getting a partner for Cisse up front nad in his and Pardew's deranged mind that will be a partnership that will work together and will be stuck with forever.

I can't believe anyone - even Kinnear - would be stupid enough to not spot the potential issues with playing Cisse with Bent.

We won't be signing him for the bench, Kinnear talked about getting a partner for Cisse up front nad in his and Pardew's deranged mind that will be a partnership that will work together and will be stuck with forever.

I can't believe anyone - even Kinnear - would be stupid enough to not spot the potential issues with playing Cisse with Bent.

:yao: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brummie question is the basically throwing out of Bent due to any off field disagreement with Lambert or orders from on high to get rid of him

It won't be about money. The problem is that Bent is the total opposite to a Lambert player - Lambert prefers the more modern type of striker who does much more than stick it in the net. That was always going to be problematic.

Having said that, though, Lambert did give him a chance. He actually made him captain for a short while in the early stages of last season, so he was prepared to try him.

He's a ruthless fucker, though. That training with the kids thing, he did it with Warnock and Hutton, too.

Moke Ashley probably.

I dread to think what I'll be watching every weakend if Bent ends up our top scorer.  Much the same shit I had to watch last season I suppose..

If you watch the season review (don't) Cisse could have had 20 goals very, very easily so getting someone in who can finish regularly would be a huge improvement.

It could be an improvement on goals maybe, though alternatively you could argue Cisse scored goals last season that Bent has never and will never be able to score.  Also on form Cisse will score much more of the kind of clear cut chances he had last season.  What it wouldn't be an improvement on is the horrendous style of play.  In fact it'll just be going even further in that direction.

:D

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Just off the top of my head from what I remember seeing of him over the last few years..... :D

Guest bimpy474

Well he's not shit, so that's a bonus.

Of course he's not shit, and anyone who thinks he is clearly needs to take off their doom-tinted specs.

At what he does, he's amongst the best. The question is, whether what he does is what you need.

I was about to post this, luckily i saw your post here like. What your opinion of Lambert's treatment of him, managers go on about players loyalty all the time. I don't recollected Bent causing trouble, i think Lambert being a bit of a tosspot just because he doesn't want him.

I have not heard a bad word said about Bent at the club, amongst the fans, or in the media by the management team, absolutely not a peep.

If he is training with the kids, I would say that is more likely to be due to an impending move than anything else. Alan Hutton was told to do the same thing, and was pretty good about it, said it wasn't malicious from Lambert, but he'd told him he wasn't going to be playing for us this season, so it made sense. Shortly after, we sent him on loan.

99 percent of Villa fans will wish Bent well when he moves on, it isn't that he's a bad player, far from it - it was only two years ago that we bought him in January and he without a doubt kept us up - it is just that the type of player he is does not fit in with what Lambert wants.

Anyone who has watched us last season for more than ten minutes can spot that.

I have to say, though, it's funny that six and a bit months ago, Lambert was being practically ridiculed by the likes of Lawrenson, Hansen, Lineker et al for playing Benteke instead of Bent.

Look how that turned out.