Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Couldn't be more of a contrast that he'd have a manager now who believes in him, so if the move goes through his confidence should certainly be flying.

What formation he'll be played in though, is another matter....

Given the right service, he will score goals. Problem is, this is us we're talking about - if we can't give Cisse the sufficient amount of support, how are we going to ever make any use of Bent?

he'll score goals, find it strange Villa have thrown him out on his ear like this though, not sure what he's done to deserve the train with the kids treatment

Nor me.

I can only think it means he's very close to an exit.

A decent back up to Cisse. You'd think he was Heskey by some of the comments I've heard over the last couple of weeks.

No one will disagree with that though.... thing is you need to come back to reality.

What will happen is he will play upfront with Cisse in a 4-4-2 with no width and it will fail massively.

No one would be against Bent if it was just merely to add depth to the squad but it won't happen like that.

Said it before but totally unambitious signing. He will do alright for a midtable team willing to carry him through games. We should be aiming for better, but we aren't because the club has no ambition of playing anything other than s*** football and staying in the league.

He'll probably do alright if we sign him, and idiots will chip in and suggest critics should eat their words, but we need someone who can combine with Cisse, we need someone who can hold hte ball up and we need someone who can play on the wings if needed. He is none of those, and we will build our team around him (rather than Ben Arfa) and play s*** 4-4-2. (which is distinct from good 4-4-2 btw, I'm not someone who doesn't think there's value in 4-4-2s)

f*** off Bent. I do not want us feeding off players not good enough for Aston Villa, it is pathetic, no matter what any pragmatists who suggest anyone who can score goals is welcome. We should be aiming higher. He won't be signing for us to sit on the bench.

That all said still half think this is all bollocks...

Given the right service, he will score goals. Problem is, this is us we're talking about - if we can't give Cisse the sufficient amount of support, how are we going to ever make any use of Bent?

Someone is going to get a bargain with Bent.

He's a brilliant finisher, and I can't really remember seeing many strikers so good at reading the offside rule - that's something Benteke could learn from him on, he's so good at it.

There are two issues, though.

Firstly, if you don't give him the ball where he wants it, he's not going to score. So, with Ashley Young and Downing whipping balls in for him, he scored lots of goals. Under McLeish, where there was not enough attacking intent, he was a waste of space.

Secondly, he applies the finish, but that is quite literally all he does. Benteke, by comparison, is a totally different kettle of fish - he offers so much for the team, he works hard, he is an intelligent player who knows how to use space. Bent doesn't do anything like that, and it is anathema to what Lambert wants from his players. There aren't that many strikers of Bent's type around these days, and it's for a reason.

If he goes to a team who can guarantee getting the ball to him a fair bit, and who are willing to work around the fact that he doesn't do anything else, someone will get a bargain.