Arouna Koné

Ishmael

Was probably a ploy to drive down the price for Bent.

They now know we are willing to pay £5m for a 30 year old. Not exactly a great plan.

5 million is alright for Bent I suppose, if their original asking price was in the region of 8 million.

Guest bimpy474

Why would we ask to buy him, offer the money, then pull out because he doesn't match our blueprint.

Didn't we know he was 29, i guess not :lol:

Erm, we wouldn't?

The latest chronicle story about it from Ryder, makes no sense at all. Maybe it's the way the story is set out.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-cool-interest-wigans-4868992

Basically he writes like a monkey on ritalin, I don't think the age/blue print thing was meant to have anything to do with the "cooling interest" bit.  Which could only mean our talks with him were less enthusiastic than we'd hoped.  Pity because I think he's a good player.

Ryder gets paid to write that shite, it's quite unbelieveable really. I'm like you, i also think Kone is a good player.

I hear all this whipping up a fuss from all these sauces and I scream. It seemed our interest in Kone was flaky at best from the start. May well be another case of missing out on a decent player because we quibble over hundreds and thousands.

Guest bimpy474

Classic chinese whispers..  We wanted to bid 5m for Bony and misheard. No chance we would have started bidding at 5m for Kone..

We'd have to as he has a release clause and Everton have already matched it, Either we bid £5m or we didn't at all.

Guest bimpy474

well yeah.. but that wouldn't stop us bidding next to nothing given past practices.

Very true, i think we did this time as big mouth Whelan confirmed it i think. I've got the stage of not caring now though:(

The only reason we would pull out is that he was demanding too much money. Or more likely, he's decided on Everton and Ryder is brown nosing by claiming it was us who pulled out.

Surely the players agents would have been sounded out before we made a bid. We wouldn't have bid if there wasn't a chance of him being interested in coming here.

Feel like Pards had thought he would get away with one with Kinnear going off on holiday.. clearly the mad bastard found out and vetoed it.

I don't think we were every genuinely interested. More like an attempt to placate fans that 'things are happening', when we all know that's not the case. The only thing that is, is that fringe players are being shipped out.

Also remember, the SD News website apparently broke this story......

Today's little episode unfortunately only seems to confirm the impression of chaos emanating from behind the scenes.

Might be a long summer!

Was like transfer deadline day for a couple of hours.  :lol:

My best guess is he prefers Everton (understandably) and would only be tempted to join us if we offered a lot of money.

I'm not bothered about this. I don't think he's that great.