The other games today - 2013/14

JH

For all the transfer noise around ManU this summer, they haven't signed anybody of note yet.

ManU's squad has been slowly declining for a few years, bar the signing of Van Persie none of their additions has really made a big impact. Lots of respect for SAF for still managing to produce the goods, but I wonder if Moyes will be able to do the same.

Honestly think the whole " not good enough midfield" thing is overstated.

Its nowhere near as important as people will have you believe unless your called Barcelona, Bayern didn't wipe Barca apart because of their midfield they utterly destroyed them because of their wing play ( Lahm, Alaba, Ribery and Robben)

For a team that has always been praised for wing play ( Man Utd) their biggest wide threats are their fullbacks and honestly to win the CL again they need to improve their wide threat more than their Centre Midfield IMO, although a ball winner who can drive the team forward would be good as well.

A lot of "someones", really. Take Van Persie out that side and just look at it. Take away the Man Utd shirts. Look at that line-up. It's really not very good at all - fair play to Ferguson last year in that respect.

What's the crack with Valencia? Think it was the season before last he ripped some teams to pieces, looked a hell of a player. Seems to have completely dropped off since then.

He just had a bad year last year. All of wingers did really. He apparently felt a lot of pressure wearing the number 7 shirt as well and that's why he has went back to 25. Hopefully normal service is resumed with him this season.

Disagree with saying the line-up isn't good like. Our defence is as good as anybodies in the league IMO, epsecially with Rafael in there. Vidic will be back to full fitness this year and Ferdinand had one of his best years with us last season. It's central midfield that needs to be upgraded to compete with the elite in Europe. If we had someone like Fabregas in that squad it would make a big difference.

I don't actually know who we can get in the next week though. I wouldn't be surprised if this is our squad until January.

A lot of "someones", really. Take Van Persie out that side and just look at it. Take away the Man Utd shirts. Look at that line-up. It's really not very good at all - fair play to Ferguson last year in that respect.

What's the crack with Valencia? Think it was the season before last he ripped some teams to pieces, looked a hell of a player. Seems to have completely dropped off since then.

Come on.

The current Man United side is a classic case of a team being far more than the sum of its parts. There is obviously a lot of class in there but they easily outperform that as a collective.

Its nowhere near as important as people will have you believe unless your called Barcelona, Bayern didn't wipe Barca apart because of their midfield they utterly destroyed them because of their wing play ( Lahm, Alaba, Ribery and Robben)

For a team that has always been praised for wing play ( Man Utd) their biggest wide threats are their fullbacks and honestly to win the CL again they need to improve their wide threat more than their Centre Midfield IMO, although a ball winner who can drive the team forward would be good as well.

Take your point but I think the game is developing at such a pace, Man Utd risk being left behind in terms of the top, elite teams. And for me, the main part of that development comes from an excellent central midfield who can dictate the pace of a game and have the ability to make things happen.

I see very little happening from Man Utd's current midfield. Did Kagawa leave a turd on Ferguson's desk and now slept with Moyes' wife? Baffles me as to why he not only doesn't start, but is an instrumental player for them.

If no significant addition is made in the next week, then Moyes has got one hell of a job on his hands to win the league, especially if - obvious but worth stating - Van Persie picks up an injury. Cleverley and Welbeck, man. I don't think myself and Froggy will ever agree on these two but the notion of them being regular starters for serious European contenders is frightening. Good luck to them, hope they do improve and get to the next level but I simply can not see it.

The current Man United side is a classic case of a team being far more than the sum of its parts. There is obviously a lot of class in there but they easily outperform that as a collective.

That's about as good a summary as you can give, really.

If you put their names next all of Chelsea or Man City's names, you wouldn't fancy them at all. However, there's eleven very good players there, even if they're not world-beaters individually (RVP aside).

I know a lot of you don't rate Cleverley, but I thought you all rated Welbeck?

Everything about his game was to a high level except his goalscoring, and who's to say that isn't going to be the next thing of his to improve? He's certainly off to a good start this season, with one of his finishes being outstanding.

We have to remember Welbeck is 22 and Cleverley is 24. These are young guys who will only get better.

yup, its incredible how Ferguson had them performing but a lot of that may have to do with the Fergie and Man Utd fear factor, teams were afraid to have a go despite evidence (our game vs them at OT for example) if you have a go you may get something. Not sure Moyes as good a manager as he clearly is will be able to get near the same results with those players over a season

Take your point but I think the game is developing at such a pace, Man Utd risk being left behind in terms of the top, elite teams. And for me, the main part of that development comes from an excellent central midfield who can dictate the pace of a game and have the ability to make things happen.

I see very little happening from Man Utd's current midfield. Did Kagawa leave a turd on Ferguson's desk and now slept with Moyes' wife? Baffles me as to why he not only doesn't start, but is an instrumental player for them.

If no significant addition is made in the next week, then Moyes has got one hell of a job on his hands to win the league, especially if - obvious but worth stating - Van Persie picks up an injury. Cleverley and Welbeck, man. I don't think myself and Froggy will ever agree on these two but the notion of them being regular starters for serious European contenders is frightening. Good luck to them, hope they do improve and get to the next level but I simply can not see it.

Carrick doesn't do that? Honestly as far as their midfield goes i think they are missing a ball winner who can drive the team forward like Keane used to and Fletcher/Hargreaves for a period more than someone who controls the tempo.

Bet they are kicking themselves for letting Pogba go, i agree on Kagawa btw.

We didn't let Pogba go at all. We offered him a new contract and he didn't want to sign. He wanted to leave, unfortunately.

He wanted to leave because of the way he was treated by Ferguson.

We didn't let Pogba go at all. We offered him a new contract and he didn't want to sign. He wanted to leave, unfortunately.

That makes it sound like he was treated poorly, but the reality is Fergie didn't think he was ready for the first team while Pogba did. He decided to leave when we brought back Scholes instead of playing him in centre mid. Had he stuck around he'd be in the side now though.

Fair play to him though, he's doing well at Juventus.

That makes it sound like he was treated poorly, but the reality is Fergie didn't think he was ready for the first team while Pogba did. He decided to leave when we brought back Scholes instead of playing him in centre mid. Had he stuck around he'd be in the side now though.

Fair play to him though, he's doing well at Juventus.

from his POV that doesn't seem great that Fergie would trust a guy who was retired than give him a go instead

I just think young players should listen to their manager. Especially one who is widely considered the greatest of all time, and one who has a track record of producing top youngsters.

Pogba has justified his decision to leave though, so we can't really complain about that one.

Young players are young players. They're all daft cunts to some degree, it's management's job to keep them at the club. A shit job, but it is their job. Though I guess they had decided Pogba had passed the point of no return.

I think that Cabaye would improve Man Utd's midfield much more than he would improve Arsenal's or PSG. And yet no offer.

I'd like him at us to be honest, especially for the price that is going around. I would have thought it would have taken over £20 million to convince you to part with him. £13m looks a steal for him though.

Ashley is more interested in profit then value, anything above 5M and he's quids in. That's why any of our players could be sold at any time if he can make some money. It's not even about Newcastle it's all about Sports Direct and we are a cheap way of boosting his tacky empire.