Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

I want us to spend money and yet some of the fee's being spent by other clubs seems crazy. So much money on unbelievably average players. If a 29yr old(??) Downing is worth £8m and a Bale is worth apparently £85m+ then I shudder to think what a Brazilian Ronaldo or Shearer would be worth in todays market for example.

Guest bimpy474

Where's £8m coming from? £6m according to the Mail.

Somebody on here said it, i'm just using £8m as an example. Same point stands if it was £6m tbh.

£8m, really ?. I'd say that's just about £8m too much.

You're looking at £20m including the wages, signing on and agent fees. That would be the summer and winter budget done.

West Ham are mental, they're spending that money to finish 10th or so. Just average, as is every team Big Sam builds.

You can say that about half league though.

Why should we bother with Gomis, he'll likely cost similar all in all - just too finish 10th. What a waste. Save the cash and finish a little lower down.

I didn't really put it right did i, what i meant was they are buying very average players. If you were going to spend £8m, spend on a little gem that'll improve your team, not on a bang average footballer.

I suppose i mean, West Ham are spending money on average players, when they could spend it on better ones at the prices they're paying for the shite ones.

True I guess but Allardyce doesn't work that way, never has done. Whatever the price he'll improve them though, whether he's worth it though - probably not.

Guest bimpy474

You're looking at £20m including the wages, signing on and agent fees. That would be the summer and winter budget done.

West Ham are mental, they're spending that money to finish 10th or so. Just average, as is every team Big Sam builds.

Why should we bother with Gomis, he'll likely cost similar all in all - just too finish 10th. What a waste. Save the cash and finish a little lower down.

I didn't really put it right did i, what i meant was they are buying very average players. If you were going to spend £8m, spend on a little gem that'll improve your team, not on a bang average footballer.

I suppose i mean, West Ham are spending money on average players, when they could spend it on better ones at the prices they're paying for the shite ones.

True I guess but Allardyce doesn't work that way, never has done. Whatever the price he'll improve them though, whether he's worth it though - probably not.

He is a bit weird Sam, he really like players as they get to about 30. What a wanker.

I suppose i mean, West Ham are spending money on average players, when they could spend it on better ones at the prices they're paying for the s**** ones.

He is a bit weird Sam, he really like players as they get to about 30. What a w*****.

He just likes having them on that vibrating metal contraption, under the guise of rejuvenating their aging bodies, so he can watch they ass jiggle. Creepy guy.

:lol: Couple on here will still think it's worth it because Downing is making this side good and effective. Great swerve this from our viewpoint. West Ham have been completely caught up in Fat Sam's stats. He probably seen optaJoe yesterday stating Downing was third in the most chances created list so upped his offer and added 10k a week on his wage for good measure.

Downing - in his one full season with us - did very well for us. I was disappointed to sell him, but on reflection, the fact we got £20m for a player who, by the looks of things, had just had the best season he's ever going to have was good business.

Although the way we then spent it wasn't quite so good :(

Downing - in his one full season with us - did very well for us. I was disappointed to sell him, but on reflection, the fact we got £20m for a player who, by the looks of things, had just had the best season he's ever going to have was good business.

Although the way we then spent it wasn't quite so good :(

Yeah only real time I've thought downing was decent was when he played for Villa and his best form seemed to come when he played right wing. Then it would be between him and Ben Arfa and obviously I'd pick Hatem every time in that position.

Infostrada Sports (@InfostradaLive)

13/08/2013 12:46

Stewart Downing's previous clubs #LFC, Villa,M'boro all won more pts/match playing WITHOUT him than playing WITH him while he was there.#WHU

Guest bimpy474

Stewart Downing's previous clubs #LFC, Villa,M'boro all won more pts/match playing WITHOUT him than playing WITH him while he was there.#WHU

That's just brilliant :lol:

NUFC fans should learn their lesson and stop cracking up with laughter every time they see a club paying more money for a player than they think they're worth.

West Ham wanted a player, they went out and paid what his club wanted for him. Good luck to them. "But they paid too much!" - so fucking what?

I'm not a huge fan of Downing but I'd rather have him on the left wing than Jonas, which is what we've got to look forward to. Least we're not getting mugged on price.

You just know he's going to turn into Gareth Bale now don't you. C*nt.

NUFC fans should learn their lesson and stop cracking up with laughter every time they see a club paying more money for a player than they think they're worth.

West Ham wanted a player, they went out and paid what his club wanted for him. Good luck to them. "But they paid too much!" - so fucking what?

I'm not a huge fan of Downing but I'd rather have him on the left wing than Jonas, which is what we've got to look forward to. Least we're not getting mugged on price.

I'd rather just stop playing that formation and leave Jonas out of the side then bring in a player like Downing.  Also bollocks to not laughing at them, wheres the fun in that? :lol: 

They're spending whats neccesary to bring in the players they want and if they were good players I'd be envious to a degree.  But as it is they've bought a player I think is quite poor at a bad age for a bad price.

I'd rather just stop playing that formation and leave Jonas out of the side then bring in a player like Downing.  Also bollocks to not laughing at them, wheres the fun in that? :lol: 

They're spending whats neccesary to bring in the players they want and if they were good players I'd be envious to a degree.  But as it is they've bought a player I think is quite poor at a bad age for a bad price.

and unless he has taken a massive wage cut he'll be on high wages, which he will be on until he is 33.

If we don't sign anyone else this window I'll be very pissed off but I can't say I will be thinking 'why the fuck didn't we sign Stewart Downing'. Far more frustrated we didn't take a punt on Redmond who will likely be on half the wages, cost half as much and is probably going to get better where as Downing is reaching an age players start a rapid decline. 

"But they paid too much!" - so fucking what?

Hardly the way to run a sustainable club is it? West Ham can't afford to pay for a new stadium/the Olympic one but they can afford to pay big fees for overpriced English players on huge contracts. It's a joke.

I sometimes think our fans would be happier if we spunked money away (don't get me wrong, I want another striker and out and out winger) rather than putting the work in and buying sensibly. In football there isn't one answer, there are many.