Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

He's just really limited. 10 years ago he would've been a serviceable starting fullback: he's positionally-aware and generally not prone to mistakes. But he lacks pace (despite him being the fastest man alive) and offers hardly anything going forward, two attributes which are essential for the modern fullback to thrive at the top level.

His only real weakness is that he can't control or kick a football very well.

And has shit awareness, and let's his man beat him to the ball most the time. He's league 2 player at best.

Thought he was his usual levels of shitness yesterday

He's just really limited. 10 years ago he would've been a serviceable starting fullback: he's positionally-aware and generally not prone to mistakes. But he lacks pace (despite him being the fastest man alive) and offers hardly anything going forward, two attributes which are essential for the modern fullback to thrive at the top level.

:lol: somehow he's always getting into these rankings because the fucker is sprinting like a banshee

Need to fix what's in front of him before worrying about his ball playing limitations. Currently it's a second rate right footed striker being shoehorned into a left wing role.

True, but that doesn't make Dummett any better.

Dummett's a poor footballer, and would never be good enough for a decent premier side. But he can defend well, and that's the most important thing first and foremost for a defender. I would say it's more important to replace Gouffran with a proper wide man in front of him for this season. I don't know what other options we have at left back if we want to swap out Dummett. I'm assuming Lazaar isn't considered sound enough defensively.

I agree with most of the post but he genuinely doesn't lack pace, like. Far from it.

I agree with most of the post but he genuinely doesn't lack pace, like. Far from it.

Just caught out of position alot

He's decently fast once he gets going it's just that he turns so slowly and has pretty poor acceleration.

Think I've posted in here about this before but if not I'm sure he was recorded as in the top 5 fastest players in the PL last season.

He's an excellent defender, which is not suprising since he was supposed to be a centre back. He offers nothing going forward.

It depends what you want from your full back. There are very few that can do both sides of the game, be careful what you wish for.

Give me a defender who can defender over a defender with loads of pace and skill but is positionally all over the place. I understand that those aren't the only two options but players who can do both are incredibly hard to come by.

Gouffran is a much bigger problem on that side.

Guest neesy111

Agreed.  For me - Janmaat was our worst RB for some time.  Conceded so many because of him

Yeah, Janmaat is easily the worst fullback I've seen for us over the last 7-8 years.

He was also the most productive in attack but couldn't defend at all. For a relatively tall fullback - awful in the air. Didn't track runners. Often played people onside.

I know he was injured but he's on the bench for Watford now. I thought he would be much better at Wing-Back but seemingly not. Think he's scored a goal and got an assist in only 7 starts - 12 or so total.

Guest neesy111

He was also the most productive in attack but couldn't defend at all. For a relatively tall fullback - awful in the air. Didn't track runners. Often played people onside.

I know he was injured but he's on the bench for Watford now. I thought he would be much better at Wing-Back but seemingly not.

They played CB when they lost 6-1 at anfield earlier this season, foolish mistake.

His lack of ability going forward wouldn't be such an issue in many teams but given Rafa's system I think we need a LB who can actually do something with the ball. Rafa loves his inverted wingers meaning any real width in our attack has to come from the full-backs. If we were to sign a left footed, pacy winger and actually play him on the left then I'd have no real issue with Dummett staying in the team. That seems unlikely though.

His lack of ability going forward wouldn't be such an issue in many teams but given Rafa's system I think we need a LB who can actually do something with the ball. Rafa loves his inverted wingers meaning any real width in our attack has to come from the full-backs. If we were to sign a left footed, pacy winger and actually play him on the left then I'd have no real issue with Dummett staying in the team. That seems unlikely though.

You sure? Never recall Valencia or Liverpool having roving fullbacks.