Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

34% pass success rate vs Liverpool.

Not even keepers are generally that bad. :lol:

Honestly, I actually sat up in shock second half when he played a pass forward along the ground. Don't think I have ever done that. :lol:

He'll not be a starter next season if we manage to stay up, he's simply not good enough.  I'd still start him for the last 3 games if he's fit to play because it's too risky not to.  We'll just have to put up with him and not expect too much.

Hes alright defensively but his play on the ball yesterday was shocking. Hoofball.

I don't think he's even alright defensively as he's way too slow and is constantly out of position.  He's still the best that we've got in that position, if only because of our situation and the number of games that he's played meaning he's less likely to cave in under pressure.

He was poor yesterday.

You cant say Milner got nowt out of him, as he put in a cross leading to the offside goal. There was Lallanas smash across the face from there & a cut back into the area. They constantly doubled up on Dummett, which says a lot given the opposite fullback isnt even a defender by trade. On the ball he kept giving it back to them or out for a throw in at one point. He was better the couple games before though, so perhaps tiredness.

Hes alright defensively but his play on the ball yesterday was shocking. Hoofball.

I don't think he's even alright defensively as he's way too slow and is constantly out of position.  He's still the best that we've got in that position, if only because of our situation and the number of games that he's played meaning he's less likely to cave in under pressure.

I agree with this. He can block crosses and that's about it. I think this 'he's good defensively' line gets said because he's poor attacking wise so it's as though he must be deemed good at something. Will get slated but another one who's only playing Premier Leagie football because he's a Geordie. Would he get in anyone else's side in the division?

He's shown to be decent defensively many times, both at left back and in the centre.

Some people will always have the agenda of wanting their left backs to be in the mould of Marcelo, which PD will certainly never be.

He's shown to be decent defensively many times, both at left back and in the centre.

Some people will always have the agenda of wanting their left backs to be in the mould of Marcelo, which PD will certainly never be.

:thup:

Yep. He's an easy target because a lot of his teammates have had various accolades thrown their way. He hasn't. He's just a solid defender who's poor on the ball. In our position I'll take that over a shit defender who can get forward from time to time. Just as I couldn't give a shit if Townsend doesn't defend well providing he's scoring and creating.

Would love a proper left back who's got some pace. I don't even care if he's half decent at attacking but one who's a sound defensive player and has great recovery pace.

He has his faults, but lack of pace isn't one of them, he's surprisingly rapid:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02639/03_13103433_10689b_2639043a.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6857787/Anthony-Martial-joins-Jamie-Vardy-as-Premier-Leagues-fastest-player.html

Is that with or without the ball? I seem to remember Jose Enrique rarely been beaten for pace, and often making up distance on supposedly quick wingers when he was at his best for us, but wasn't particularly quick with the ball at his feet.

Guest firetotheworks

Is that with or without the ball? I seem to remember Jose Enrique rarely been beaten for pace, and often making up distance on supposedly quick wingers when he was at his best for us, but wasn't particularly quick with the ball at his feet.

Jose was unreal at that like, it got to the point where I never ever worried that he'd be beaten by a winger. Sturridge is the only player that I ever remember turning him.

Erm no, many of us would prefer a fullback who doesn't wilt like a flower with pressure on. He's terrible on the ball and it costs us, regardless of how decent he might be at sticking a timely foot in.

He's not a PL-quality fullback.