NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Needed two defenders with 20 composure and a striker with 18 finishing and a 80 ovr at least.

Need an 18 strength for defenders as well, or at least an 80 using the fifa metric.

I got them confused! I'd be terrible on sky.. I'd take 79 character and 70 dressing room though.

Impressive to be among England/Europe's top spenders and end up with a squad as mediocre as ours.

Exactly  what I was saying today, if someone told me we would have been one of the biggest spenders in Europe this window I would've blown me load...... But instead we have brought 2 very mediocre players ( shelvey and Townsend) and 2 foreigners I never heard of tbh genuinely would have been better if we hadn't of signed any one because least we would have an excuse when we go down

Impressive to be among England/Europe's top spenders and end up with a squad as mediocre as ours.

Exactly  what I was saying today, if someone told me we would have been one of the biggest spenders in Europe this window I would've blown me load...... But instead we have brought 2 very mediocre players ( shelvey and Townsend) and 2 foreigners I never heard of tbh genuinely would have been better if we hadn't of signed any one because least we would have an excuse when we go down

Shelvey and Townsend may prove to be very good signings.

Come on.

:lol:

There's some absolute mentalists around.

Our squad undoubtedly has more palatable midfield options than it did before January, and I'm more convinced we'll stay up than I was.

But the defence is exactly the same as it was before and if Doumbia doesn't hit the ground running it's likely we'll still struggle to score goals.

And people can fuck off if they think I should be grateful that we've finally started spending some money on the squad.

The players we've signed aren't world beaters but they're very good signings in the context of what we need.  A central midfielder that can pass, a less shit defensive midfielder, a winger that's an actual winger and an extra striker.  They are all players that either have a track record or potential to do better like Townsend.  I'm surprised we've spent as much as we have on them, but in terms of squad improvement it's quite dramatic.  We were sorely lacking in all those areas before.

I think we've wasted a lot of time on Berahino if we were serious.  20m would have bought us massive defensive improvements and that would probably have ensured we'd definitely stay up.  As it is, all these new attackers need to be brilliant, because our defence is still going to let us down consistently and cost us a lot of games.

Our squad undoubtedly has more palatable midfield options than it did before January, and I'm more convinced we'll stay up than I was.

But the defence is exactly the same as it was before and if Doumbia doesn't hit the ground running it's likely we'll still struggle to score goals.

Agreed. Just got to hope McClaren can nail the counter attacking plan he's been going for. We've got bags of pace up front and a midfielder pulling the strings who can play the killer pass. We're still gonna concede loads though. Either way, it's not going to be boring :lol:

The players we've signed aren't world beaters but they're very good signings in the context of what we need.  A central midfielder that can pass, a less shit defensive midfielder, a winger that's an actual winger and an extra striker.  They are all players that either have a track record or potential to do better like Townsend.  I'm surprised we've spent as much as we have on them, but in terms of squad improvement it's quite dramatic.  We were sorely lacking in all those areas before.

I think we've wasted a lot of time on Berahino if we were serious.  20m would have bought us massive defensive improvements and that would probably have ensured we'd definitely stay up.  As it is, all these new attackers need to be brilliant, because our defence is still going to let us down consistently and cost us a lot of games.

The only hope we have is that the improvements in midfield takes some of the pressure off the defense and gives them an easier job to do.

Writing in his column for The Sun, Shearer said: “If he (Berahino) does join Newcastle it will take Mike Ashley’s spending to over £100million since the summer and for that he can’t be faulted.

They're all at it. :anguish:

The players we've signed aren't world beaters but they're very good signings in the context of what we need.  A central midfielder that can pass, a less s*** defensive midfielder, a winger that's an actual winger and an extra striker.  They are all players that either have a track record or potential to do better like Townsend.  I'm surprised we've spent as much as we have on them, but in terms of squad improvement it's quite dramatic.  We were sorely lacking in all those areas before.

The only hope we have is that the improvements in midfield takes some of the pressure off the defense and gives them an easier job to do.

It could be that the midfield was identified as the problem with everything.  We had a midfield of people unable to keep the ball or create.  That means poor service for strikers and poor protection for the defence.  The thing is, we still concede a lot of terrible organisational goals from set pieces and poor set-ups on our own set pieces that leave us totally open to the counter.  I'm not sure a better midfield will fix those particular issues, but time will tell.

It would have been good to have another option in central defence. Perhaps though it's difficult to bring in someone whose quality will compensate for the teething problems that you get when you make changes in that part of the team.

The midfield and attack has a lot more pace and a bit more skill so I'm happy with that.

I think we've definitely improved but whether we'll now be able to overtake the clubs around us who have also made improvements is another matter. I reckon we'll be okay. Just.