The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Yeah, I'm not really looking at Birmingham or Swansea with any envy because they won the League Cup a few years back.

Don't know why anyone would swap a lucky cup run like that for a decent period of time when we were one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe.

Those people who say Newcastle fans would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0 have a point with some of you.

You don’t

Yeah, I'm not really looking at Birmingham or Swansea with any envy because they won the League Cup a few years back.

Don't know why anyone would swap a lucky cup run like that for a decent period of time when we were one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe.

Or Boro, or Portsmouth, or Wigan.

You boycott us because of Ashley, if he flukes a cup win with Bruce as manager in the same way the above did, I’d fully expect them to be your heroes.

Those people who say Newcastle fans would rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0 have a point with some of you.

You don’t

You boycott us because of Ashley, if he flukes a cup win with Bruce as manager in the same way the above did, I’d fully expect them to be your heroes.

:lol: Bruce would certainly go up in my estimations, that's just common sense.

You don’t

HTT just basically admitted it ffs.  :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

You don’t

Yeah, 5 years of KK or 4-3... or a Cup Win. Read!

You don’t

May aswell do away with leagues and competitions altogether the way you go on.

You don’t

May aswell do away with leagues and competitions altogether the way you go on.

May as well not watch actual football matches and just read the historical honours list on Wikipedia instead the way you go on.

Imagine thinking winning one league cup is better than consistently being one of the best teams in the league over a number of seasons

:lol: how many league cups would it take to make up for it then?

Would you swap our mid 90s for Blackburn's?

Imagine thinking winning one league cup is better than consistently being one of the best teams in the league over a number of seasons

Seriously? They won the fucking premier league man  :lol:

Seriously? They won the fucking premier league man  :lol:

Were you actually there during Keegan's time as manager?

Give me the Keegan years over a Carling Cup win anytime.

Get away man, a league cup win would be the best day of our lives following NUFC for most of us.

Too much over sentimentalism.

You cannot be serious???????

KK gave me, and many of you who remember it, the most glorious football I have ever seen. It has taken me years to get over the loss to Man U, but nothing, nothing, will ever be better than the football we saw. I'm happy we came 2nd playing the way we did, than 1st playing the way Man U did. Seriously.

By winning more games and scoring more goals? :lol:

The simple answer is 'yes'.

As a Man U fan, you've been used to almost a generation of success - title after title after cup after cup. We Geordies have had to put of with two generations of dross.

Not a cup since the glory days of 1969.

Relegation, dire football, barely surviving. The odd bits of hope - a league cup final, was it, in '75? Stuffed by Man City. Big Mac, Gazza a few rays of hope surrounded by desperation.

And then we were within a whisker of going into Division 3 and almost certain obscurity.

Then KK came and our world changed for the oh so much better.

Do you have any idea what that man did to our football, our hope, our lives, our city? He made us literally live again.

So, yes, I would rather have come second playing the football we did than come first playing your football, because I know, and pretty much everyone else does, that we played like flawed gods and I loved them for it.

Seriously? They won the f***ing premier league man  :lol:

Nah i was about 4, but i was for the Bobby days and i'd still swap that for a trophy.

I'd easily swap Blackburns 90's with ours. Not even a question. Their 90's are pretty comparable to ours, just that they actually have something in the trophy room to show for it.

Wouldn't swap the Keegan years for a lucky league cup run though.

The big difference is hope, even when we lost the league to Man U, even when we lost the FA Cup final to Arsenal and to Man U, there was always hope. We had ambition, we played (for the most part) good football, we lost but there was always next year!

A league cup now would be celebrated as it should but what comes after it? More of the same, same crap manager, same crap owner, the buzz would wear off pretty quick. Back in the day the disappointment wore off and the buzz came back, I would give anything to feel that again.

The simple answer is 'yes'.

As a Man U fan, you've been used to almost a generation of success - title after title after cup after cup. We Geordies have had to put of with two generations of dross.

Not a cup since the glory days of 1969.

Relegation, dire football, barely surviving. The odd bits of hope - a league cup final, was it, in '75? Stuffed by Man City. Big Mac, Gazza a few rays of hope surrounded by desperation.

And then we were within a whisker of going into Division 3 and almost certain obscurity.

Then KK came and our world changed for the oh so much better.

Do you have any idea what that man did to our football, our hope, our lives, our city? He made us literally live again.

So, yes, I would rather have come second playing the football we did than come first playing your football, because I know, and pretty much everyone else does, that we played like flawed gods and I loved them for it.

Can't argue with that.

You can actually be proud about some of the best football played in this league, whilst also being jealous that we didnt get to win the league like Blackburn or Leicester more recently. You dont have to make some daft hypothetical choice.

Personally, I like to own our history, its had plenty of highs and plenty of lows and we wait until the day we win something, you will see the biggest party in Europe in our city.

Just on another note, for about 20 years you could go anywhere in the world and see a toon shirt or speak to a native who knew exactly who Newcastle were. I'd bet Blackburn was only famous briefly around the world.

Guest Howaythetoon

Seriously? They won the f***ing premier league man  :lol:

Nah i was about 4, but i was for the Bobby days and i'd still swap that for a trophy.

Quelle surprise...

Crikey, talk about losers mentality.

That's a bloody brainless comment, like. It's got absolutely nothing to do with either a winning or a losing mentality.

Back when the club existed as an outright sporting institution - as opposed to whatever you would define it as now - a cup win would have been unbelievable. One of the best things ever, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm sure there isn't a single person here who wouldn't agree.

It's never been about winning trophies though. We've not won one for 50 years ffs; even my dad can barely remember it. Like the vast, vast majority of supporters in this country - you don't support your team because they win things. At this point, the concept is alien to us. Of course, you go into every game and tournament hoping you win; but the most important thing is the sense of identity and belonging - your club is a reflection of you as an individual. You don't need trophies for that. You need a football club that tries to be the best football club it can be. If it does that, and does well, defying expectations - hosanna. If it does badly, so be it, we can all be fucking gutted and raging together.

There's been times in the past when we've been a bag of absolute shite and the club has really hurt me. But I've still been proud to call myself a Newcastle supporter. It's why anyone that knows me well enough talks about Newcastle before they talk about anything else (which is annoying these days).

Trophies would just be a wonderful add-on.