The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I don't think it's as brilliant for us as some of the other options they were rumoured to be exploring, but I don't think it's a great one for them in terms of where they want to be either.

Edited by Kid Icarus

11 minutes ago, Menace said:

Still has more trophies than Arteta and co. He's nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be

But he’s nowhere near good enough to get the most out of his squad. Excellent news.

16 minutes ago, Menace said:

Still has more trophies than Arteta and co. He's nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be

Your probably correct, but the dressing room is still toxic, this was a good opportunity for the new owners to have a fresh start, you can't have that with players sulking.

They were extremely lucky to finish where they did and that was failure and they were distinctly second best much of the time. That's no fluke.

Would have just as soon it been only a cup run rather than cup win thata distorted that.  Its surely more Dalglish getting us to the final than them being rubbish in 89/90 under Forguson and scraping a cup win to come good.

Edited by Jonas

It's an interesting decision, and one that I assume they didn't particularly want to make.

I find the managerial landscape a bit strange atm. Really exceptional managers - capable of challenging for the biggest honours - are seemingly a rare thing in the era of Pep and Klopp. Teams with aspirations of the top want the manager who's going to catch those two but, in realty, they probably don't exist. So you either chop and change and throw shit until it sticks, or you stick with what you've got and cross your fingers that it's a slow build and they crack it.

Meanwhile, you count your blessings if you're fortunate enough to have someone who is beautifully aligned to your ambitions and goals (see us, Villa, Chel... oh wait yeah :lol:).

Will be very interesting to see where Man Utd go from here. Obviously they were hopelessly flawed last season and 8th is a terrible finish for them. Their injury crisis was almost as bad as ours though. 

33 minutes ago, Menace said:

I'm not sure, like. They overperformed their stats by a lot and still had the worst premier league finish in their history and with a negative gd :lol: 

If the club had confidence in him they'd have sorted a new contract out ages ago not going around sniffing out other managers. 

They'll go for Southgate in November while giving EtH another summer window. After the extension the payout will be bigger too. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Pata said:

They'll go for Southgate in November while giving EtH another summer window. After the extension the payout will be bigger too. :lol:

Exactly, it’s a stay of execution. They have no confidence in him and expect him to start the season poorly, at which point Gareth will insert himself into Man U’s hot seat.

I quite like Ten Hag tbh. He can’t be rubbish, his Ajax side was very tasty.

For whatever reason it hasn’t clicked for him at Manu and yet he’s managed to win a couple of cups.

It seems to me the club has issues higher up than the manager and that misalignment has caused issues that have run through the club. They are clearly trying to rectify that.

Ten Hags biggest issue is not getting some of his best players to buy in, i.e. Sancho (who’s looked very good in the CL for Dortmund) and Rashford. Antony hasn’t looked worth the money but he at looks bothered about it.

If the club really believe Ten Hag is the future then they to give players like those 2 an ultimatum and stick to it. Otherwise he’ll always have problems in the dressing room.

2 hours ago, gdm said:

the FA cup final aside it doesn’t look like the players want to play for him. He’s been undermined so much it’s gonna be difficult to get the squad fully on board. I’ll bet he loses the dressing room completely by November 

Agree, I can’t remember seeing a team so blatantly down tools and not play for a manager as much as last season with them. Obviously a cup final is different on the day (and I reckon the players probably thought he was leaving afterwards anyway).

The players will be thinking not only do they not like him, clearly the board don’t like him either but couldn’t find a good replacement. They’ll sense that no confidence and walk over him even more.

Could be wrong and I’m not saying the players are in the right, I think they’re a disgrace, I couldn’t believe what I was watching last season with them. 

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Exactly, it’s a stay of execution. They have no confidence in him and expect him to start the season poorly, at which point Gareth will insert himself into Man U’s hot seat.

Removes the talk around Southgate while the National team don't need that distraction, and then their fans will get behind him if we do well.

I imagine this would still have been their decision had they lost the FA Cup final too because simply no one wants the job. The win just gave them a convenient excuse to keep him. If taking that over the whole season where they finsihed the lowest they have ever been in the PL and git knocked out of an easy CL group, then strap yourself in for another season of that coming up.

4 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

Agree, I can’t remember seeing a team so blatantly down tools and not play for a manager as much as last season with them. Obviously a cup final is different on the day (and I reckon the players probably thought he was leaving afterwards anyway).

The players will be thinking not only do they not like him, clearly the board don’t like him either but couldn’t find a good replacement. They’ll sense that no confidence and walk over him even more.

Could be wrong and I’m not saying the players are in the right, I think they’re a disgrace, I couldn’t believe what I was watching last season with them. 

This is blatantly untrue. The players never downed tools for Ten Hag, and he has the support of almost all of our players. They wanted him to stay. 

Sancho and Rashford are the only two. You're asked to run in a Ten Hag team, and they're two of the laziest players I've ever seen. People are acting like Ten Hag is in the wrong because Sancho dribbled past Nuno Mendes a few times in the Champions League semi, but the reality is that he has been poor for Dortmund and he's been shit under multiple managers for us. He'll be sold regardless. 

And again, not a single solitary mention in this thread about how we were forced to play Casemiro and Jonny Evans at centre back with no recognised left back. :lol: as if that has no impact on how we played. Anyone who watched the FA Cup seen how important Martinez is for the way Ten Hag wants to play. 

No disrespect, but 100+ injuries in two seasons, 30+ different back fours this season, and you're all laughing at a manger who's won us two cups while you haven't won anything in 50 years. It's incredibly strange. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

This is blatantly untrue. The players never downed tools for Ten Hag, and he has the support of almost all of our players. They wanted him to stay. 

Sancho and Rashford are the only two. You're asked to run in a Ten Hag team, and they're two of the laziest players I've ever seen. People are acting like Ten Hag is in the wrong because Sancho dribbled past Nuno Mendes a few times in the Champions League semi, but the reality is that he has been poor for Dortmund and he's been shit under multiple managers for us. He'll be sold regardless. 

And again, not a single solitary mention in this thread about how we were forced to play Casemiro and Jonny Evans at centre back with no recognised left back. :lol: as if that has no impact on how we played. Anyone who watched the FA Cup seen how important Martinez is for the way Ten Hag wants to play. 

No disrespect, but 100+ injuries in two seasons, 30+ different back fours this season, and you're all laughing at a manger who's won us two cups while you haven't won anything in 50 years. It's incredibly strange. 

I agree with what you are saying but imagine if Man U have a poor start to the season. Poch, De Zerbi and Potter all have a sword of Damocles hanging over Ten Hag. He's in a no win situation and his boss is a Donut that won't spend the money to move Man U forward. This is just Rafa with Ashley.

Next twist - the extended contract they offer him is predicated on a big reduction in his severance package.

Less bad outcome for them than hiring Slothgate. Ten Hag has proven he can win things with them. I don’t think he’ll be giving Arteta or Guardiola cause for concern at the top of the league but he’s light years ahead of the clown in the cardigan.

Things must be tighter than we thought financially if they can’t pay Ten Hag and his staff off though.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

Less bad outcome for them than hiring Slothgate. Ten Hag has proven he can win things with them. I don’t think he’ll be giving Arteta or Guardiola cause for concern at the top of the league but he’s light years ahead of the clown in the cardigan.

Things must be tighter than we thought financially if they can’t pay Ten Hag and his staff off though.

Aye, they can't even afford admin staff these days.