The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

De Zerbi not interested? Considering he left Brighton apparently because he soured things talking publicly about being a bit unhappy and wanting a bigger job, I mean surely its a great chance to go win stuff...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Seen Southampton get compared to Brighton a few times on here, but it was nowhere near the same level or calibre of operation.

Southampton were a top 8 side for 4 seasons and their recruitment and managerial appointments were cracking. Just took one bad appointment (Hughes) selling one too many star without replacing with the next Mane, van Dijk, Etc and it came tumbling down and was hard to stop the slide. Not to the same extent but we've seen similar at Stoke and Swansea over the recent years too. 

It's not a criticism of Brighton because their setup seems sound, there's no real alternative to what they're doing there other than if one year they tell their Caicedos and Cucarellas that they're not leaving, but the model is buy low, sell high...it's a risk still. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, gdm said:

I get that this season the 3 that came up went straight back down but was only last season all 3 that came up stayed up and established teams like Southampton, Leeds & Leicester all went down. 

That being said 2 of the 3 will come straight back up 

Really not convinced by that. I think there are a lot of good teams around the top of the Championship that didn’t go up and the three going down could all easily stay down next year.

Sadly, the thing that might make the difference is who gets which Premier League loanee.

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Not sure anyone from the outside looking in can say how big each operation is tbh. Bet there's loads going on that even superfans of each club aren't privy to.

Bloom has a long history in sports data analytics and is at the forefront of that. His whole setup is based on his own unique model that he created.

This influences every decision they make regarding staff recruitment and player recruitment, and the model has been bearing top end results for ages now and is well established.

Completely different from anything Southampton were ever doing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Really not convinced by that. I think there are a lot of good teams around the top of the Championship that didn’t go up and the three going down could all easily stay down next year.

Sadly, the thing that might make the difference is who gets which Premier League loanee.

No, sorry I meant the 3 that went down last season 2 of the 3 will come back up after the play off final 

Edited by gdm

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Southampton were a top 8 side for 4 seasons and their recruitment and managerial appointments were cracking. Just took one bad appointment (Hughes) selling one too many star without replacing with the next Mane, van Dijk, Etc and it came tumbling down and was hard to stop the slide. Not to the same extent but we've seen similar at Stoke and Swansea over the recent years too. 

It's not a criticism of Brighton because their setup seems sound, there's no real alternative to what they're doing there other than if one year they tell their Caicedos and Cucarellas that they're not leaving, but the model is buy low, sell high...it's a risk still. 

As I just explained in my post replying to @Dr.Spaceman Brighton's whole setup is far more advanced than any of these clubs you've mentioned. Can't see it being the same at all.

1 minute ago, wormy said:

Looks like McKenna's going to be linked with half the Premier League by the end of the summer.

Including us if we don't get 7th, you can imagine the bullshit headlines. 'The Saudi's Want Howe's Head' for missing out on Europe.  Just endless complete bollocks.

3 hours ago, gdm said:

No, sorry I meant the 3 that went down last season 2 of the 3 will come back up after the play off final 

Ah right yeah that makes more sense :lol:

21 minutes ago, Ben said:

Pep has gave a cryptic interview today, I reckon he might go after the cup final 

I'm sure he's got his (115!) reasons. 

40 minutes ago, Ben said:

Pep has gave a cryptic interview today, I reckon he might go after the cup final 

Thought the same, then seen him give the Prem Trophy a longer than needed kiss. 

“You welcome the new manager like you welcomed me. You go all-in from the first day. And you keep believing and you push the team,” said Klopp, who sang the name of Arne Slot to the tune of one of the songs the crowd sing about him."

Hmm, gives me a bit of a flashback to... 

"Sir Alex Ferguson bowed out in his final home game as Manchester United manager with a 2-1 win over Swansea City before thanking everyone for the "most fantastic experience of my life" and imploring fans to get behind his successor, David Moyes. "Your job now is to stand by our new manager. That is important," Ferguson said on what was a momentous afternoon."

On 19/05/2024 at 05:31, Optimistic Nut said:

So were Southampton, but there becomes a point where one appointment that doesn't click, or one bad window, and they fall drastically.

The key people running Southampton left. 

Poch has them on the right track. It was a mess. It took him a long-time to get the in order.

The key problems are at board level though. All in he's done ok considering the weird circumstances.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, KaKa said:

As I just explained in my post replying to @Dr.Spaceman Brighton's whole setup is far more advanced than any of these clubs you've mentioned. Can't see it being the same at all.

Doesn't change the fact that 1 bad window or appointment can set them back many many steps, just like it did with Southampton. It's destined to happen some seasons, nomatter how good the model is, as long as you have the wage budget that they have. They took 33 points from their last 32 games, taking 6 points from 5 games vs Luton, Burnley and Sheffield. That's near relegation form in most seasons, and very far off what they did last season. Europe was partly to blame, but if they go back into Europe, the same can happen. They sold Caicedo and MacAllsiter, and who did they replace them with? Their squad is worse than the current top 9 teams currently, and who are they going to sell for big money this summer? I don't think they will get relegated next season, but I don't see them fighting for Europe either. I'd say 12th-15th next season.

Edited by Erikse

They already seem to have sunk back into the same group as the likes of Palace, Wolves, Fulham in one season.

I mean, it's not far off what we were doing under Ashley, but the Bas Cabayes & Debuchys soon became De Jong, Riviere & Cabella once clubs like Southampton & Swansea started operating in our market but were actually prepared to pay the money for who we also tracked (thinking the likes of Gomis, Bony...)

It is cracking what Brighton have done and are doing, but they might have to push the boat out a bit more this summer. They made a big profit in their last accounts, will be interesting to see how they approach things.

Brighton much like ourselves suffered this season because they were stretched by Europe and had a bunch of injuries.

Brighton don't rely on individual windows to replace players sold. They are continuously buying talented players and stocking the team at all levels all the time, and they just continue to bring them through.

My bet is they will be right there around 6th to 8th again next season, and pushing for Europe.

And there will be another round of unknown players that are performing for them that everyone is impressed by.