The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I really don't think it's as harsh as some people are making out, if you've watched them recently they are a complete mess. Think he's lost the players and the fans at this point, so fair play if they want to make a change in order to try and avoid relegation.

It's the same everywhere though. Even Gateshead sacked a manager a third of the way through the season when 6 off the play-offs. A dip in form is almost critical these days, as too is not hitting the ground running in a new job and not being given time to get ideas across etc. Football is rotten.

For the record, I don't think Monk should be sacked, but if he does, it's quite understandable. Will likely be 1 win in 13 after the weekend, that's almost Carver levels of bad form and he keeps leaving out players that the Swansea fans would have on the pitch any day of the week.

I really don't think it's as harsh as some people are making out, if you've watched them recently they are a complete mess. Think he's lost the players and the fans at this point, so fair play if they want to make a change in order to try and avoid relegation.

I don't get this though, surely even the best managers are capable of a couple of bad months? It doesn't make any sense to judge things on such a short-term basis. The season is only 15 games old and for a lot of it people were praising Swansea to the rafters.

Guess fair enough if they believe they're going down and they think a short term boost is worth sacrificing their manager for. But it doesn't make it right, or logical.

Agree, if it is so seems very harsh imo.

Plus Moyes would be a bad fit as Ian says. Wrong style and doesn't seem to fit with their club 'philosophy' at all.

Rodgers to return would be far better for them.

I think a lot of clubs like to push the philosophy of stylish football when the going is good. With the sort of money you get for being in the premier though, I think priorities can sharp change. If Swansea's main concern is relegation then Moyes has a good record in that department.

I don't get this though, surely even the best managers are capable of a couple of bad months? It doesn't make any sense to judge things on such a short-term basis. The season is only 15 games old and for a lot of it people were praising Swansea to the rafters.

Guess fair enough if they believe they're going down and they think a short term boost is worth sacrificing their manager for. But it doesn't make it right, or logical.

I think it's because it's a lot more than just bad results, some really poor performances for a while now along with very questionable decision making from Monk. Weren't the board unhappy in the summer as they wanted someone more experienced in as an assistant but he wouldn't have it? Break might do him good anyway he's aged so much recently, looks white as a ghost with huge bags under his eyes everytime you see him now. He'll come out of as being treat harsh and with a decent reputation too.

I'm surprised Swansea and sacking him already, thought they would have shown more confidence since they were the ones that give him the big opportunity.

Had they appointed a seasoned top manager, i don't think they would be going for the chop given this is the first bad spell. Probably just panicking Monk isn't cut out for the job given he just carried on the good work which was set up by previous regimes so he didn't really have much to do. Now pressure is on him to change things and come up with different ideas etc, he's looking pretty clueless.

I think it's because it's a lot more than just bad results, some really poor performances for a while now along with very questionable decision making from Monk. Weren't the board unhappy in the summer as they wanted someone more experienced in as an assistant but he wouldn't have it? Break might do him good anyway he's aged so much recently, looks white as a ghost with huge bags under his eyes everytime you see him now. He'll come out of as being treat harsh and with a decent reputation too.

Aye, has looked in interviews like he's struggling to handle it for a few weeks now. Seems a completely different man to a few months ago. If his head's completely gone, with no signs of snapping out of it extremely soon, then sadly he has to go.

Guest Howaythetoon

To sack a good young manager who has done really well for a run of poor form smacks of sacking for sacking sake. Sack if he is taking the club in the wrong direction developmentally, football philosophy, recruitment etc. but for a run of bad form? When they were beating Arsenal and playing superb stuff he was the dogs bollocks. Mind, I say this not seeing every game of theirs. Surely its not Pardew levels there though or Carver? I'd have him here in a heart beat, but I feel the enormity of this job would be too big a burden on his young shoulders and he would crack before too long. I doubt he is big name enough for our lot of wasters as well, even though they aren't exactly big name themselves.

Monk was not playing a number of better players, and the team was suffering for it. That Swansea team is bloody decent and should not be struggling to that extent.

It made no sense. Seems he had issues with some players, and was just being stubborn. Almost seems like he got carried away with the praise he was getting earlier on.

I generally agree with Ian's feeling that a manager should be able to survive a poor run off the back of some success. However, the value of being in the Premier League these days and the danger of relegation makes it more understandable to me.

I still don't get why US sports' owners act like this when their money is guaranteed and there are rewards for a poor season.

I'm hesitant to comment on whether or not clubs like Swansea should be sacking their manager - after having suffered two and a half years of being told, by everyone, how lucky we were to have a manager who made me hate football. But from a very distant viewpoint, binning Monk at this point would seem slightly premature; they're going through a bad spell for sure, but I thought they were all building together?

I'm hesitant to comment on whether or not clubs like Swansea should be sacking their manager - after having suffered two and a half years of being told, by everyone, how lucky we were to have a manager who made me hate football. But from a very distant viewpoint, binning Monk at this point would seem slightly premature; they're going through a bad spell for sure, but I thought they were all building together?

Exactly how I feel.

Maybe he's shit, Swansea fans will know better than us.

It just seems at Swansea it has gotten to the point of no return for Monk; the players don't look like they're playing for him, rumours about rifts nearly every other day and their confidence looks like it is at rock bottom. The only way out of it is by bringing a new manager in to freshen things up.

I think the same about Mourinho at Chelsea though. I think if they get knocked out the CL tomorrow, Abramovich will sack him.

Did OK until first international break, then

Lost - Watford (A) 0-1

Drew - Everton (H) 0-0, lucky to not lose

Lost - Hull (A) Cup 0-1

Lost - Southampton (A) 1-3

Drew - Spurs (H) 2-2

Lost - Stoke (H) 0-1

Won - Villa (A) 2-1

Lost - Arsenal (H) 0-3

Lost - Norwich (A) 0-1

Drew - Bournemouth (H) 2-2

Lost - Liverpool (A) 0-1

Lost - Leicester (H) 0-3

The games have been getting worse to watch as well, with hardly any shots on goal (from us).

We are now a week or two from slipping into a relegation spot.

Guest Roger Kint

Does Monk have any say in transfers? Seem to be pretty light on strikers with just Gomis and that Portuguese? kid. You would have thought selling Bony meant bringing in two decent quality strikers not two average ones and Ayew on a free. Remember Laudrup complaining about not enough signings in his second year, bit harsh if he isnt given the tools in the first place. Not that i think he should be sacked now either way mind.

This.  Fans of other teams and pundits who only know about the SKY 6.  Usually like to bleat on about how wrong it is to sack the manager, they should stick with him etc.  I always thought Monk was a fairly strange appointment and possibly a risky one.  They haven't progressed under him and now they appear to be going backwards. 

Did OK until first international break, then

Lost - Watford (A) 0-1

Drew - Everton (H) 0-0, lucky to not lose

Lost - Hull (A) Cup 0-1

Lost - Southampton (A) 1-3

Drew - Spurs (H) 2-2

Lost - Stoke (H) 0-1

Won - Villa (A) 2-1

Lost - Arsenal (H) 0-3

Lost - Norwich (A) 0-1

Drew - Bournemouth (H) 2-2

Lost - Liverpool (A) 0-1

Lost - Leicester (H) 0-3

The games have been getting worse to watch as well, with hardly any shots on goal (from us).

We are now a week or two from slipping into a relegation spot.

That is worrying.  I think I'd be wanting our manager gone with form like that.  6 points from a possible 33, plus a cup loss to a lower league team?!  That is :carverlick: form.  I'm not even sure Pardew went on a run quite that bad?  He'd just have his insane 5-6 wins in a row.  Coupled with 5-6 losses in a row.  But to be that bad for 12 games, is a massive worry.  It's not like they've had a really horrible set of fixtures, either.

Does Monk have any say in transfers? Seem to be pretty light on strikers with just Gomis and that Portuguese? kid. You would have thought selling Bony meant bringing in two decent quality strikers not two average ones and Ayew on a free. Remember Laudrup complaining about not enough signings in his second year, bit harsh if he isnt given the tools in the first place. Not that i think he should be sacked now either way mind.

Seems like thats the issue, Gomis complete loss of form/confidence and no one to replace it. No team can go 11 games without a striker scoring. Give him a decent option upfront & im sure they'd kick on again.

Guest Roger Kint

Seems like thats the issue, Gomis complete loss of form/confidence and no one to replace it. No team can go 11 games without a striker scoring. Give him a decent option upfront & im sure they'd kick on again.

:thup: Obviously if he has control and chose that situation its not working well for him mind but i said at the start of the season it was a daft decision to rely on Gomis