The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

On 10/04/2023 at 20:00, OCK said:

Football Management must be the greatest profession. Sacked if you're shite, and employed a week later as if nothing happened. 

Some absolutely baffling decisions made in the last month or so, I can only imagine it's in the hope of getting some new manager bounce, even if it's only a short term measure until the end of the season. Working out for Palace anyway, which is a shame since their owner is such a cunt.

7 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Their sporting director Lee Congerton left to go to Atalanta in the summer. Hence why Lookman ended up there rather than signing permanently. That being said I think the missteps in recruitment started earlier, with Congerton in charge. 

One of their biggest issues in recent years has been bloating the squad for CL/EL football and then being hamstrung on wages. A lot of the squad players or flops there have been unshiftable and left no FFP wiggle room. Partly because it's probably a great place to work as a pro - fantastic training facilities etc. Why leave? Then they've not been making big sales like they had done in the past to balance the books/reinvest - with players like Tielemans seemingly happy to run down their deals.

They've ended up in a perfect storm of Vardy being past it, a load of squad players stuck around on big wages, and key players being uncommitted because they're running down their deals. It shows how fragile things are in the PL and how quickly you can fall if you don't keep your foot to the pedal in terms of squad management and recruitment.

Yeah, one or two players seem to have had one eye on the lifeboat.

The mistake that some owners seem to make is thinking that you can spend a lot of money and then spend less to just keep the team ticking over at the new level that you’ve reached. In practice, you need to keep spending.

3 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Putting a statement out saying they arent sacking someone very Watford

Chris Wilder has had a fall from grace, everything he touched seemed to turn to gold but failed miserably at the smoggies and has Watford sinking

13 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: Why do PFMs hate Power Point so much? I swear I've seen others reference them before. Almost like it's just a reminder of yet another technology that's passed them by.

Google Slides far superior, IMO. O0

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

love owt like this. Straight out of the PFM handbook

I'm sure Lampard is a lovely bloke but he's just not a good coach/manager and after hearing Gordons comments he's just another Bruce with a couple of hours training a day

Edited by Ben

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm sure Lampard is a lovely bloke but he's just not a good coach/manager and after hearing Gordons comments he's just another Bruce with a couple of hours training a day

What were Gordon’s comments? 

Just now, LV said:

What were Gordon’s comments? 

He couldnt believe how long Howe spent at the club each day and the size of the back room team with limitless preperation for each game 

16 hours ago, wormy said:

:lol: Why do PFMs hate Power Point so much? I swear I've seen others reference them before. Almost like it's just a reminder of yet another technology that's passed them by.

Because they don't excel at it themselves.