The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

A short sharp shock doesn't always work but someone who took a team down with a whimper (1win in 16) less than a year ago with a far lower reputation than they guy you've just sacked has got to be demoralising all round.

The interim situation is better suited to wild cards or over-matched manager to the club, reigns them into a concenrated period not for mediocrities.

Aye the management pool at the highest level is small. Smith doesn’t sound exciting but… who else? 

Any manager on the ‘up’ will stay clear. 

It’s too risky to go totally unproven at this stage.  

The big problem was letting Rodgers go on so long. They could’ve sacked him a long time ago and gone for a Loupetegui(sp?) type manager. Someone at this point - only desperate managers would take the job. 

Leicester remind me of NUFC in 2015/16. McClaren took a talented team who should be no where near there down - and Rafa came in too late to save the club despite improved performances. Even then it was said why did we not sack before the international break, so there were an extra two weeks to train the team. 

With that said, let's hope it's not a 5-1 defeat for us on the last day like we did to Spurs! 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye the management pool at the highest level is small. Smith doesn’t sound exciting but… who else? 

Any manager on the ‘up’ will stay clear. 

It’s too risky to go totally unproven at this stage.  

The big problem was letting Rodgers go on so long. They could’ve sacked him a long time ago and gone for a Loupetegui(sp?) type manager. Someone at this point - only desperate managers would take the job. 

Yeah that seems poor in retrospect I think they just assumed the quality in the squad would keep them above water, also didn’t they have a run of three/four wins on the bounce just before the WC? Probably stayed their hand at that point. 

From 13th to bottom it seems like a lottery with who will or won't get dragged down.

This final few games will be more about who's up for the actual scrap rather than who can be tactically set up to play better football.

It's a last throw of the dice for too many clubs.

Dean Smith and Shakespeare? Who knows. It's simply a coin toss time for about 9 teams.

Entirely boils down to whether they stay up or not.

If they go down it was a pathetically stupid suicidal appointment, what good is 'steady' when you've got relegation written all over

if they stay up it did the job

its not like Rafa who was a good appointment period. Its a rotten appointment beyond the interim, sort of thing Ashley would fetch up.

Edited by Wolfcastle

You have to look at Leicester appointing Dean Smith through the prism of the fact that they stuck with Rodgers for way, way too long, and got rid of him at a point where they'd managed to reduce their realistic options massively.

They've been awful for ages but just put up with it.

On 10/03/2023 at 09:47, GeordieDazzler said:

Spurs should have won the title in the Leicester City season the fact they didn’t was massively damaging for them I think. Hard to shift the also ran mentality for them.

They finished 3rd in a two horse race??

1 hour ago, brummie said:

You have to look at Leicester appointing Dean Smith through the prism of the fact that they stuck with Rodgers for way, way too long, and got rid of him at a point where they'd managed to reduce their realistic options massively.

I still think Rodgers is a good manager that got messed about in the transfer window, Ward in goal for a full season would have anyone in trouble. 

2 hours ago, brummie said:

The best thing they can basically hope for though is that just not being Brendan Rodgers is enough to have a turnaround though. Imagine being a club that was linked with Smith and Rodgers and your owners chose Smith, you’d almost certainly be questioning how sane the people making that choice were. I suppose it depends how toxic things were behind the scenes with Brendan but if I supported Leicester I wouldn’t have much hope of playing premier league football next season

On 10/04/2023 at 19:49, joeyt said:

They had a knack of buying young and up coming players who really helped them push for European places. Tielemans, Ndidi, Pereira, Maddison, even Ayoze

And then last summer they allowed their inspirational captain to go and didn't buy a keeper. And I think their only summer signing was Faes who has looked dreadful nearly every game I've seen him

Really strange

Their sporting director Lee Congerton left to go to Atalanta in the summer. Hence why Lookman ended up there rather than signing permanently. That being said I think the missteps in recruitment started earlier, with Congerton in charge. 

One of their biggest issues in recent years has been bloating the squad for CL/EL football and then being hamstrung on wages. A lot of the squad players or flops there have been unshiftable and left no FFP wiggle room. Partly because it's probably a great place to work as a pro - fantastic training facilities etc. Why leave? Then they've not been making big sales like they had done in the past to balance the books/reinvest - with players like Tielemans seemingly happy to run down their deals.

They've ended up in a perfect storm of Vardy being past it, a load of squad players stuck around on big wages, and key players being uncommitted because they're running down their deals. It shows how fragile things are in the PL and how quickly you can fall if you don't keep your foot to the pedal in terms of squad management and recruitment.

Edited by ponsaelius

4 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Their sporting director Lee Congerton left to go to Atalanta in the summer. Hence why Lookman ended up there rather than signing permanently. That being said I think the missteps in recruitment started earlier, with Congerton in charge. 

One of their biggest issues in recent years has been bloating the squad for CL/EL football and then being hamstrung on wages. A lot of the squad players or flops there have been unshiftable and left no FFP wiggle room. Partly because it's probably a great place to work as a pro - fantastic training facilities etc. Why leave? Then they've not been making big sales like they had done in the past to balance the books/reinvest - with players like Tielemans seemingly happy to run down their deals.

They've ended up in a perfect storm of Vardy being past it, a load of squad players stuck around on big wages, and key players being uncommitted because they're running down their deals. It shows how fragile things are in the PL and how quickly you can fall if you don't keep your foot to the pedal in terms of squad management and recruitment.

Mackems loved Lee Congerton.

1 hour ago, Stal said:

1018 pages? I still think of myself as a newbie here so don't want to overstep but do we not start a new thread after 1000?

Doesn't matter any more, since the switch to the new server etc.