The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wonder if anyone tries to bring Kane back to the premier league this summer. Can’t imagine him being coached Kompany and Bellamy.

Good shout

55 minutes ago, 54 said:

Apparently Bayern are going to pay £20m of compensation for Kompany.

Meanwhile Man Utd are offering £2 million for 'best in class' Dan Ashworth.

10 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Fairly strong rumours that Ten Haag is finished after the cup final 

They can't afford to sack him til 1 July shirley

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Wtf is going on with bayern and Chelsea lmao. 

Having been turned down by just about every experienced manager with a shred of self respect, they've seemingly decided to try and find their own version of an Alonso.

As far as Kompany goes, I actually rate him. His Burnley side were brilliant in the Championship, when the players he had were of a similar standard to the other teams in the league. The players were well short of Premier league standard though, especially for how he wanted to play.

Giving him a team of top quality players is going to be really interesting. We'll definitely find out for certain what he's made of.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Having been turned down by just about every experienced manager with a shred of self respect, they've seemingly decided to try and find their own version of an Alonso.

As far as Kompany goes, I actually rate him. His Burnley side were brilliant in the Championship, when the players he had were of a similar standard to the other teams in the league. The players were well short of Premier league standard though, especially for how he wanted to play.

Giving him a team of top quality players is going to be really interesting. We'll definitely find out for certain what he's made of.

He'll crash at burn like Moyes at Man U, or Potter at Chelsea.

Probably get a similar amount of time as them to do it too...

18 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Fairly strong rumours that Ten Haag is finished after the cup final 

Think that's been obvious for a while. Contract up next season so they either have to extend it and properly back him or get rid of him now. The players have certainly been playing like they know he's away [emoji38]

6 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

He'll crash at burn like Moyes at Man U, or Potter at Chelsea.

Probably get a similar amount of time as them to do it too...

It's a very dangerous move for him for sure, because the Bayern leadership are absolutely mental.

A team like Brighton would be more of the kind of move he should make next, but we'll see what happens I guess.

Kompany has the making of a top manager. Of course predicted managerial stints and success is a fools game, but I hope he gets the gig and does well. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Kompany has the making of a top manager. Of course predicted managerial stints and success is a fools game, but I hope he gets the gig and does well. 

This is why McKenna at Ipswich might want to move to a bigger team: struggle with a newly-promoted team, which is to be expected, and suddenly many people think you're shit.

From a very cursory glance Kompany did ok at Anderlecht - they came 4th and 8th the 2 seasons before he took over, 3rd and 3rd in both his years in charge, and 11th the year after he left. Lost a cup final on penalties.

Did great at Burnley in their promotion year. Perhaps should have been a bit more pragmatic in the premier league but they were starting to turn it around by the time we played them. There is a big gulf between Premier League and Championship that's hard to overcome.

Anyway, he could be absolutely fine with better players.

Edited by Checko

17 minutes ago, Checko said:

This is why McKenna at Ipswich might want to move to a bigger team: struggle with a newly-promoted team, which is to be expected, and suddenly many people think you're shit.

From a very cursory glance Kompany did ok at Anderlecht - they came 4th and 8th the 2 seasons before he took over, 3rd and 3rd in both his years in charge, and 11th the year after he left. Lost a cup final on penalties.

Did great at Burnley in their promotion year. Perhaps should have been a bit more pragmatic in the premier league but they were starting to turn it around by the time we played them. There is a big gulf between Premier League and Championship that's hard to overcome.

Relegating Burnley doesn't seem to have done Kompany's stock much harm. 

I don't disagree though - while the Chelsea job will probably be vacant again by this point next year, the Brighton and potentially Man Utd posts won't be, so there's an element of now or never. A shame if McKenna isn't able to take Ipswich all the way though. 

29 minutes ago, Checko said:

Genuinely haven't seen anything in Kompany that leads me to believe he'll be a decent manager.

He's frankly living off the glory of his playing days and the fact he can string a sentence together.

Kompany benefitted a lot from Sheffield United being so bad I reckon. Any other season and surely more questions would have been asked of him? 

Two sides got points deductions and they still finished miles of staying up. 

13 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Sign for Chelsea and you're financially sorted for the rest of your life or stay with Ipswich on a relatively poor wage and potentially never get an opportunity like this ever again. You can see why the likes of him would jump at a chance like this.

Also, how many times have you seen a manager over-perform in the Championship to get promoted, be miles adrift by October (through no fault of his own, simply down to budget and playing squad) then get sacked anyway? 

The next job from that is normally a move back to the Championship and more than likely not as good as the one he's just had.

Going to Chelsea, he'd at least get a huge pay-off and still be well thought of at other clubs. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he'll retire at Celtic.

Despite the past Mackem association, comes across as a good bloke. Hope he gets a good gig next.

7 hours ago, toon25 said:

Genuinely haven't seen anything in Kompany that leads me to believe he'll be a decent manager.

He's frankly living off the glory of his playing days and the fact he can string a sentence together.

Same, I can't see any positives in him going to Bayern other than keeping the seat warm for Alonso, Kane is an unlucky footballer like.