The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

23 minutes ago, Ben said:

I agree with what you are saying but imagine if Man U have a poor start to the season. Poch, De Zerbi and Potter all have a sword of Damocles hanging over Ten Hag. He's in a no win situation and his boss is a Donut that won't spend the money to move Man U forward. This is just Rafa with Ashley.

Most managers have the sword of Damocles hanging over them. Ten Hag isn't an idiot. He knew his future with us was on the line with that FA Cup final.

We met with managers before that final so if the club decided to part ways with the manager, so that we'd have a new manager in place immediately if required. If we didn't do that, and decided to sack Ten Hag, and were then scrambling about trying to find a new manager before the new season, we'd be called amateur then as well. There's nothing wrong with having contingency plans, and every club does it.

7 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Most managers have the sword of Damocles hanging over them. Ten Hag isn't an idiot. He knew his future with us was on the line with that FA Cup final.

We met with managers before that final so if the club decided to part ways with the manager, so that we'd have a new manager in place immediately if required. If we didn't do that, and decided to sack Ten Hag, and were then scrambling about trying to find a new manager before the new season, we'd be called amateur then as well. There's nothing wrong with having contingency plans, and every club does it.

Exactly they were so desperate to get rid of him they started talking to managers before an FA Cup final. Now he stays when they don’t really want him. Can’t be good 

Excellent news for us that Ten Hag is staying , I know people say he has won trophies but Man United always have a better chance than anyone bar Man City really of winning a trophy , it's just built into them as a club unfortunately.  We could be top of the league next season and they could be mid table and I would still expect them to beat us in a cup final sadly .

They can be a total mess in the league and still win a trophy regardless of who the manager is . Feel a lot more confident of finishing above them in the league next season though with Ten Hag as manager .

Edited by Geogaddi

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Exactly they were so desperate to get rid of him they started talking to managers before an FA Cup final. Now he stays when they don’t really want him. Can’t be good 

Keeping your options open isn't desperation to get rid. You think your Saudi boys aren't keeping tabs on other managers? Despite the job Howe has done, if he loses 4 or 5 on the bounce to start the season, you think he won't have the sword of Damocles hanging over him as well? 

Just now, Geogaddi said:

Man United always have a better chance than anyone bar Man City really of winning a trophy , it's just built into them as a club unfortunately.

Utter nonsense. :lol: One of the most nonsense statements I've ever read actually.

Yeah publicly stating that your manager is persona non grata before then spending several weeks failing to find a replacement and then backing the previously unwanted manager is actually a perfectly normal and stabilising thing to do

4 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Yeah publicly stating that your manager is persona non grata before then spending several weeks failing to find a replacement and then backing the previously unwanted manager is actually a perfectly normal and stabilising thing to do

I'll take things that didn't happen for $200 Alex.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Keeping your options open isn't desperation to get rid. You think your Saudi boys aren't keeping tabs on other managers? Despite the job Howe has done, if he loses 4 or 5 on the bounce to start the season, you think he won't have the sword of Damocles hanging over him as well? 

Utter nonsense. :lol: One of the most nonsense statements I've ever read actually.

It's true , a crap Man United team are still capable of winning the FA cup . You have been poor for plenty of seasons since Ferguson left and still managed to win trophies and get to cup finals etc .

1 minute ago, Geogaddi said:

It's true , a crap Man United team are still capable of winning the FA cup . You have been poor for plenty of seasons since Ferguson left and still managed to win trophies and get to cup finals etc .

"Poor and suffering Man Utd fans... " - Sky Sports

Just now, Geogaddi said:

It's not true. We have been poor in comparison to Ferguson's sides sure, but it's all about context.

We've got to finals and won trophies because we're still good in the grand scheme of things, just nowhere near as good as we were.

Just now, Froggy said:

It's not true. We have been poor in comparison to Ferguson's sides sure, but it's all about context.

We've got to finals and won trophies because we're still good in the grand scheme of things, just nowhere near as good as we were.

Aye, I thought some of the over-confidence before we played you just before the end of the season was a bit OTT. By Man Utd standards it was a poor season but it was still on par with the season we had on paper. Just one is used to titles, top 4 finishes, one has been drilled into relegation scraps or mid-table mediocrity until the takeover. 

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

How? Yourself and now Chelsea have pedigree of winning trophies, its

inbuilt in the club now. Take someone like ourselves, even Leeds, our players frequently choke whenever they find themselves at the sharp end of a season/competition.

I look at Chelsea winning under Di Matteo, Tuchel and yourselves under Ten Hag, completely unjustified but you continue to do it.

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You finished 8th. Dont know the stats but surely the lowest in what 35 years? 

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You were rubbish last season for the majority of it let's be honest , yet you still managed to win the FA cup beating Liverpool and Man City along the way . I don't think any other club in the country could have pulled that off .

Edited by Geogaddi

Just now, gdm said:

You finished 8th. Dont know the stats but surely the lowest in what 35 years? 

And probably the worst injury crisis we've had in 100 years.  

Just now, Geogaddi said:

You were rubbish last season for the majority of it let's be honest , yet you still managed to win the FA cup by beating Liverpool and Man City . I don't think any other club in the country could have pulled that off .

It's amazing what can happen when you have your starting centre backs available again isn't it? :lol: It's almost like having Varane and Martinez instead of Casemiro and Evans is an upgrade.

Paul Dummett would have got 30 appearances for us this season.

6 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

How? Yourself and now Chelsea have pedigree of winning trophies, its

inbuilt in the club now. Take someone like ourselves, even Leeds, our players frequently choke whenever they find themselves at the sharp end of a season/competition.

I look at Chelsea winning under Di Matteo, Tuchel and yourselves under Ten Hag, completely unjustified but you continue to do it.

I just don't buy into this at all. A team of new players, new management and new owners isn't the same team that won trophies 15 years ago.

And there was absolutely nothing unjustified about either of our cup wins. Poor league position this year, but the cup was fully deserved.

And probably the worst injury crisis we've had in 100 years.  

No club had a worse injury crisis than Newcastle and we finished above you. 

I don’t think Ten Hag is a terrible manager by any means but allegedly speaking to 4 or 5 managers before deciding to keep him on isn’t good and likely won’t end well. 

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, I thought some of the over-confidence before we played you just before the end of the season was a bit OTT. By Man Utd standards it was a poor season but it was still on par with the season we had on paper. Just one is used to titles, top 4 finishes, one has been drilled into relegation scraps or mid-table mediocrity until the takeover. 

I can understand you being confident in this game as we had a terrible Casemiro and old man Jonny Evans in centre back for it. :lol: I could do them for pace.

I just don't buy into this at all. A team of new players, new management and new owners isn't the same team that won trophies 15 years ago.

And there was absolutely nothing unjustified about either of our cup wins. Poor league position this year, but the cup was fully deserved.

apart from Coventry scoring a perfectly good last min goal that got disallowed O0

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

I can understand you being confident in this game as we had a terrible Casemiro and old man Jonny Evans in centre back for it. :lol: I could do them for pace.

We scored two so that wasn't the problem. 

We still had Dubravka in goal and Krafth up against Garmacho. Pretty big levellers. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

No club had a worse injury crisis than Newcastle and we finished above you. 

Our injuries were worse than yours. This has been shown in another thread and backed up with facts. There wasn't one game where Newcastle didn't have a recognised player available for every position. Whereas we had no centre back, no left back, no DM and no striker for multiple games of the season. We had more injuries than you, and the "days lost" lists that people were trying to share to counter didn't include players who were injured from the start of the season, so didn't include Mainoo or Malacia's 10 months worth of injuries. But you can claim what you like of course.

And yes, you finished above us on goal difference thanks to us having no defence all year. I'll take Europe and a trophy. :lol:

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

apart from Coventry scoring a perfectly good goal that got disallowed O0

It was offside. :lol: They also scored a huge deflection and got a dodgy pen after being 3-0 down. Again, claim what you like. The cup win was justified.

Captain America Avengers GIF

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We scored two so that wasn't the problem. 

We still had Dubravka in goal and Krafth up against Garmacho. Pretty big levellers. 

We started Scott McTominay. Checkmate.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Our injuries were worse than yours. This has been shown in another thread and backed up with facts. There wasn't one game where Newcastle didn't have a recognised player available for every position.

I’d argue days missed is more significant than individual injuries and Newcastle were miles out in front and that doesn’t even include Tonali

regardless Man Utd fans trying to justify an 8 place finish is something I thought I’d never see. I’m here for it 

Edited by gdm

We started Scott McTominay. Checkmate.

Flimsier than paper that @Froggy, Krafth wouldn’t cost a fee whereas McTominay makes meaningful contributions for Man Utd and Scotland and would happily prop up West Ham’s midfield. McTominay v Brentford at home for you lot was more than Krafth has accomplished in his whole NUFC career.

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

I’d argue days missed is more significant than individual injuries and Newcastle were miles out in front and that doesn’t even include Tonali 

You weren't miles out in front that's what I'm trying to tell you. :lol: The list that you were all sharing doesn't include players who were injured coming into the season. Malacia missed the entire season. Diallo was injured until December. Mainoo was out until October. We were probably top of that list as well as most individual players injured and most separate injuries as well.

We should get another trophy for that as well to be honest. It would probably be on par with the Intertoto.