The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest thenorthumbrian

What's the soul of the club then?

You know it when you see it out there on the pitch.

It's belief, excitement, faith and a sense of optimism, we've had it in the past, perhaps one day we will have it again.Perhaps. 

Pretty sure Southampton have got that with a Dutchman who's been there five minutes.

But Ashley would never go for anyone who doesn't fit in with his penny pinching dour vision for United, so why would Koeman or someone like him come here ?   

Guest chicken little

did former captain and adopted Geordie Glenn Roeder understand the soul of the club?

this all sounds like the exceptionalist garbage the scousers come out with about "the Liverpool way", an entitlement to attractive attacking football unique only to them.

did former captain and adopted Geordie Glenn Roeder understand the soul of the club?

this all sounds like the exceptionalist garbage the scousers come out with about "the Liverpool way", an entitlement to attractive attacking football unique only to them.

Cockney managers very rarely do well up North.

Guest thenorthumbrian

It's belief, excitement, faith and a sense of optimism, we've had it in the past, perhaps one day we will have it again.Perhaps. 

Pretty sure Southampton have got that with a Dutchman who's been there five minutes.

So the same as every other club? Do they not all want those things?

Of course not, Next daft question,

:lol: this attitude doesn't do us any favours at all. Every single set of fans wants their club to be something great. It's not unique to us, its nothing to do with the area.

So belief in, and support for Newcastle United has nothing to do with the region ?

Is that what you are saying ?

No not at all.  Point out where on earth I said that. I said that broadly all football fans support their club want to see the things you listed and they are in absolutely no way unique to the region.

Let other fans speak up for their teams I can't.

Newcastle United are unique to me, they do and should represent the region, they have roots here and are an important and high profile representative of the North East, that might not mean anything to you, perhaps it can't, but it does to me. 

If a manager or owner comes here they should be at first competent but they should also take time to appreciate what makes this club what it is, and should and can be, why is that too much to ask for ?

On the other hand, it's part of the reason they won't accept finishing 16th as a good season. A sense of entitlement in fans isn't a bad thing at all.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The point is even weirder considering the conversation has spurred from f***ing Lee Clark :lol:

It goes without saying that passion and an understanding of the club would be a welcome bonus of any manager like.

Of course they should and they don't need to be from the region to "get it" Keegan wasn't and he gave me great memories thats all most people ask for.

The point is even weirder considering the conversation has spurred from f***ing Lee Clark :lol:

It goes without saying that passion and an understanding of the club would be a welcome bonus of any manager like.

Of course they should and they don't need to be from the region to "get it" Keegan wasn't and he gave me great memories thats all most people ask for.

We just need a good manager who prefers positive football (and that's certainly not Lee Clark), nothing else really matters. They could never have heard of Newcastle United for all I care.

I mean I'd prefer them to be dashingly handsome, have decent craic, and a preference for snazzy suits on the touchline too but it all comes secondary to them being good at managing a football club.

It's very easy to make empty platitudes though even if you have the skill to back it up. Pardew makes all the right noises about living being here and understanding us and ultimately it means nothing.

He really doesn't.

Well not all of them but he makes the club of this size, great Fanbase, back where we belong, I've got fight, passion yadda yadda comments; which you could argue shows the 'understanding' granted for every one of those there's a 'mike' bot licker but he still makes those comments that resonate with what fans want. The reality being he is duplicitous fuckwit with the IQ and common sense of a sanitary towel, an ego the size of Luxembourg and he can go fuck a beehive whilst chewing on TNT for all I care. That would be about the best thing for 'this clahb'

But Ashley would never go for anyone who doesn't fit in with his penny pinching dour vision for United, so why would Koeman or someone like him come here ? 

So you want someone who will bring belief, excitement, faith and optimism but if someone makes any suggestion to that effect, actually you don't want them after all because Ashley wouldn't?

Nonsensical.

We all think that don't we :lol:

that's what i thought aye, i was getting something from him at one point in that keegan and robson showed that with the right manager the support can be harnessed to create something special at NUFC but when you pointed out that this is the case with a lot of clubs the wheels seemed to come off

We all think that don't we :lol:

that's what i thought aye, i was getting something from him at one point in that keegan and robson showed that with the right manager the support can be harnessed to create something special at NUFC but when you pointed out that this is the case with a lot of clubs the wheels seemed to come off

I felt like he was saying there is something different in like the "soul" of the club and our fans are diff to anyone else's and want diff things. All felt very Liverpool to me

in a way he's right though, liverpool/manyoo or whoever don't "represent the region" in the way NUFC arguably does, we're probably the only club to be able to claim that (?)

to many in the uk newcastle is the north east so when the club is on the up it reflects positively on the region as a whole

that says nothing about soul or anything obviously

Dunno, we represent newcastle not the North East entirely. But even if that is true that doesn't mean that we are some exclusive club that the fans want diff things on the pitch. It's all the same

i didn't mean it's an official thing, it just is what it is, newcastle is the biggest and best place in the north east, simple as that

and yes of course to your second point