2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I dont know whether I'd rather have a mix of great and poor groups, or a uniform quality across all 8. I suspect we'll get the former but either way, I'm so excited about this World Cup. The last 'proper' one in a long time.

World Cup is always proper no matter where it's played. It's the fuckign World Cup, biggest sporting event in the world. Once every four years, I don't care if it's played in Siberia, Alaska, Fiji or w/e. It's great and the best thing about the sport.

:thup: Yep.

Nah. 2010 was almost ruined by the f***ing vuvuzelas.

The shitty weather, ball and pitches didn't help either. I think Russia can pull something decent off, at least.

what was wrong with the weather ?

It was cold and dull, WC is much better in warm weather just down to aesthetics, let alone it affecting play

what gubbins! why is the world cup better in warm weather ? why not have it in a northern europe autumn or winter for a change, after all europe is the power house, and in europe it's a winter sport and makes it fairer to have it in a variety of conditions, wouldn't you agree ?

No. It was just not as fun to watch while the play was in cold weather. Especially when it's the bright and sunny where I was. I'll always associate the World Cup with warm, summer weather and that always added something to it for me.

it wasn't fun to watch because the pitches were poor and there were no really stand out teams, that had nothing to do with the weather. even if it did shouldn't we have a colder weather world cup now and again to make it fair ? why should Northern European teams always have to play in the heat ? why can't the others play in a Northern European winter or autumn for a tournament once ?

It's a personal opinion man :lol: I said a few posts ago it came down to aesthetics. The entire thing just looked ugly, as opposed to 2006 when it was constantly bright.

I dont know whether I'd rather have a mix of great and poor groups, or a uniform quality across all 8. I suspect we'll get the former but either way, I'm so excited about this World Cup. The last 'proper' one in a long time.

World Cup is always proper no matter where it's played. It's the fuckign World Cup, biggest sporting event in the world. Once every four years, I don't care if it's played in Siberia, Alaska, Fiji or w/e. It's great and the best thing about the sport.

:thup: Yep.

Nah. 2010 was almost ruined by the f***ing vuvuzelas.

The shitty weather, ball and pitches didn't help either. I think Russia can pull something decent off, at least.

what was wrong with the weather ?

It was cold and dull, WC is much better in warm weather just down to aesthetics, let alone it affecting play

what gubbins! why is the world cup better in warm weather ? why not have it in a northern europe autumn or winter for a change, after all europe is the power house, and in europe it's a winter sport and makes it fairer to have it in a variety of conditions, wouldn't you agree ?

No. It was just not as fun to watch while the play was in cold weather. Especially when it's the bright and sunny where I was. I'll always associate the World Cup with warm, summer weather and that always added something to it for me.

it wasn't fun to watch because the pitches were poor and there were no really stand out teams, that had nothing to do with the weather. even if it did shouldn't we have a colder weather world cup now and again to make it fair ? why should Northern European teams always have to play in the heat ? why can't the others play in a Northern European winter or autumn for a tournament once ?

It's a personal opinion man :lol: I said a few posts ago it came down to aesthetics. The entire thing just looked ugly, as opposed to 2006 when it was constantly bright.

aesthetically, cold dark nights under floodlights beat sunny afternoons for football.

hows it stupid. naturally the teams from some countries will be better suitede to certain weather conditions so why not vary those conditions. from an aesthetic point of view, being a northern european sunny afternoon football just doesn't do it.

Honestly though, how many places are actually cold during the time the World Cup runs? Australia is still relatively warm, as is South America. Most places in the Southern Hemisphere are still warm and sunny during their winters, so there's never going to be much variation.

thats why I hope the Qatar thig gets changed to the winter, once the precedent is set then theres no reason why not to. just for oncelets have a world cup in france, germany or england in october or novemeber.

For fellow neighbour Americans here.

Were you chuffed when Suarez handled the ball at the death vs. Ghana and Gyan missed it ? (I was grinning like a motherfucker)

There seem to be a lot of bad-blood between US and Ghana still after nearly 4 years.

I definitely wanted Uruguay to win, so was glad to see it had happened (had to miss that game for some reason). Don't blame him at all either, one of my teammates did it in a deciding game a few years earlier and it worked, definitely worth it.

Mostly I didn't want to see Ghana go through because it could've been us. But yeah, a (one-sided) rivalry has been created.

Were you chuffed when Suarez handled the ball at the death vs. Ghana and Gyan missed it ? (I was grinning like a motherfucker)

There seem to be a lot of bad-blood between US and Ghana still after nearly 4 years.

I was pissed tbh. Ghana has been the death of us the past two WCs, but I still wanted to see an African team do well.

Put Suarez on the cunt map too.

I was pissed tbh. Ghana has been the death of us the past two WCs, but I still wanted to see an African team do well.

Put Suarez on the cunt map too.

Me too. I was behind Ghana 100%.

I think what Saurez did was great and he was a hero to his country.

"Have my country eliminated or give away a penalty, get sent off but give us some hope."  Hmm, tough one..

Yeah, and yet people were arguing he was a big cheater and idiot for doing it. He did what was right at the moment, the same thing like making a last-ditch foul on someone running free at goal. It's not cheating it's part of the sport. He was just more clever than most people would be.

It's pure instinct. Give me that over Kieron Dyer leaning against a post anyday.

It was hilarious that Ghana (and the media love-in surrounding them and "the whole of Africa") surrounding them couldn't stand up to the pressure of pens though.

Nee way football is better in warm weather like.

What it's like outside right now - overcast, damp but not utterly freezing - this is proper football weather.

Football is best played at around room temperature with the sun shining. You want to sweat, not freeze outside ffs.

Nee way football is better in warm weather like.

What it's like outside right now - overcast, damp but not utterly freezing - this is proper football weather.

Football is best played at around room temperature with the sun shining. You want to sweat, not freeze outside ffs.

You're already running around.  Playing in hot temperatures just kills you.