2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

England, Mexico, Nigeria, Argentina :fwap:

Brazil, France, Ghana, Hondusas :fwap:

So, 2002. This went well. I cannot wait to lose to Argentina for the fourth time in our World Cup history.

I'd be well chuffed with this for the England.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/999/17uz.png

Brazil at home and Portugal in a Portugese speaking country. That sounds brilliant. Anyway, we should make sure we aren't derailed by Ethiopia (or angry Somalians by proxy!) before talking about groups.

I dont know whether I'd rather have a mix of great and poor groups, or a uniform quality across all 8. I suspect we'll get the former but either way, I'm so excited about this World Cup. The last 'proper' one in a long time.

World Cup is always proper no matter where it's played. It's the fuckign World Cup, biggest sporting event in the world. Once every four years, I don't care if it's played in Siberia, Alaska, Fiji or w/e. It's great and the best thing about the sport.

:thup: Yep.

Nah. 2010 was almost ruined by the f***ing vuvuzelas.

The shitty weather, ball and pitches didn't help either. I think Russia can pull something decent off, at least.

what was wrong with the weather ?

It was cold and dull, WC is much better in warm weather just down to aesthetics, let alone it affecting play

what gubbins! why is the world cup better in warm weather ? why not have it in a northern europe autumn or winter for a change, after all europe is the power house, and in europe it's a winter sport and makes it fairer to have it in a variety of conditions, wouldn't you agree ?

No. It was just not as fun to watch while the play was in cold weather. Especially when it's the bright and sunny where I was. I'll always associate the World Cup with warm, summer weather and that always added something to it for me.

The vuvuzelas are what held back the last one. Any other football serious Black African nation and it would have been actual music but Sa gave us that rubbish. Is there anything better than watching Paraguay-New Zealand battle to a scoreless draw while constant droning noise fills your ears without break. Even during goals and incidents, there was no cheering. Just louder droning. That SA culture thing was rubbish as well because I've seen football there pre-2010 and it wasn't that prevalent.

Portugal vs Sweden

Ukraine vs France

Greece vs Romania

Iceland vs Croatia

Zlatan has been brilliant of late. I think he will carry Sweden on his back to the World Cup. Portugal will once again flatter to deceive. I think the other three will be boring, cagey, and generally one sided, but I thought this about the African playoffs and was completely incorrect.

Would have liked Sweden, France, Croatia and Iceland to go through. Annoying that Iceland or Croatia couldn't have faced Greece or Romania.

Hopefully Portugal don't make it. Probably my most-hated international team. I oddly dislike them more than the sum of the reasons why I dislike them (tournament defeats in 2004/06, Ronaldo, Pepe)

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA man :lol:

Ticket applications to start at 12.00. At 11.45 I was in and said the same, 6 minutes later just to check if they're not going to be assholes, I go in and now I'm placed in a virtual queue. With that said, they probably had a time between 11.45-11.51 where they've told bunch of customers that the ticketing will open so they'll be first.

It's always the same with them.

Ticket applications to start at 12.00. At 11.45 I was in and said the same, 6 minutes later just to check if they're not going to be assholes, I go in and now I'm placed in a virtual queue. With that said, they probably had a time between 11.45-11.51 where they've told bunch of customers that the ticketing will open so they'll be first.

It's all rigged anyway. Only 4,500 Argentinians got allocated tickets opposed to 13,507 fucking Canadians in the initial draw.

It's all rigged anyway. Only 4,500 Argentinians got allocated tickets opposed to 13,507 f***ing Canadians in the initial draw.

Just noticed my pages refreshing (probably meaning i end up at the back end of the list anyways).

It's funny cause in 2006 we bought tickets outside the stadium, was the first time FIFA used ID numbers on all tickets. The ones we bought had FIFA's name on it instead, and the sellers said they got them from FIFA for free. (which is absolute bullshit) Just like any other company they take advantage from the black market as well. It's an absolute horseshit.

Managed tickets to four games at least. All in Salvador.

Quite steep price, but ended up deciding that it will only be once in Brazil and might be fun to watch games.

Got 2 games for category 3, 1 game Category 2 and 1 game Category 1. Close to sealing a quarterfinals ticket as well but finished right when I was about to enter the code given :lol: Fucking Fifa.

Mexico have called up an all-domestic league squad for the play off. No players from Europe.

Newzealand missing their best player Reid, through injury. Guess their only hope of scoring is a Smeltz header or Wood coming up with a moment of brilliance.

Looking forward to see a white bus parked at Azteca for 90 minutes on Wednesday.

Mexico have called up an all-domestic league squad for the play off. No players from Europe.

Newzealand missing their best player Reid, through injury. Guess their only hope of scoring is a Smeltz header or Wood coming up with a moment of brilliance.

Looking forward to see a white bus parked at Azteca for 90 minutes on Wednesday.

Apparently they're planning on only playing the America players since it's at the Azteca and they won't need cohesion as well as playing in altitude. Think it's a great idea, look at Spain for example, their whole team is composed by Barca and Real players.

I have no doubt that Mexico will go through in a decent fashion.

Apparently they're planning on only playing the America players since it's at the Azteca and they won't need cohesion as well as playing in altitude. Think it's a great idea, look at Spain for example, their whole team is composed by Barca and Real players.

If they don't, they should disband the team and take up some other sport.

Our best defender is injured, our second best is managing Toronto FC while our only decent attacking player Marco Rojas hasn't played a single minute of proper football since April.

Ricky Herbet's tactics are like some sort of Tony Pulis and Alan Pardew love child.

Oh yeah, and then there was the whole losing to New Caledonia thing in the Oceania Cup last year...

Alright, but Real Madrid and Barcelona are the two best teams in one of the world's top three leagues. Meanwhile, the Mexican league has to stop matches because people are firing automatic gun outside. There is some difference.

It's a gamble by Herrera, but I think it will pay off. Virtually the whole America squad plus a few key additions (Peralta, de Nigris, Ayala). Entirely Mexican-based.

TBH if New Zealand can go into the Azteca, park the bus, and come out with a point, it'll be a massive psychological victory. They picked up draws against better teams at WC10 and Mexico has been beatable at home the past year, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

Alright, but Real Madrid and Barcelona are the two best teams in one of the world's top three leagues. Meanwhile, the Mexican league has to stop matches because people are firing automatic gun outside. There is some difference.

I'm talking more about cohesion, it's not like they aren't twice as good individually as the New Zealand players anyways.

I'm talking more about cohesion, it's not like they aren't twice as good individually as the New Zealand players anyways.

You could say about most countries compared to us tbh, one thing Herbert can do right is park the bus and grind it out against better teams.  It's against the Island nations who we should be passing off the park we struggle the most. 

If we can 0-0 it (or somehow get a score draw) I would back us to finish the job at the Cake tin, but if we need to come from a decent sized deficit or go down a goal early tommorow morning we'll get steamrolled

You could say about most countries compared to us tbh, one thing Herbert can do right is park the bus and grind it out against better teams.  It's against the Island nations who we should be passing off the park we struggle the most. 

If we can 0-0 it (or somehow get a score draw) I would back us to finish the job at the Cake tin, but if we need to come from a decent sized deficit or go down a goal early tommorow morning we'll get steamrolled

Think you're being harsh on you team pandamninator, I think New Zealands got a good chance in this tie. Young Storm Roux looks quality, Mcglinchey is severely underrated and can cause them all sort of problems. Smeltz is getting back to sharpness. Barbarouses is always threatening.

At almost 2800m of altitude, I don't think New Zealand will stand a chance. I can see the score running away here, having been to Azteca and lived in Mexico I can say for first-timers it won't be easy to play at that altitude behind those fans. It's a nightmare stadium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24900573

Over the next few days South America's World Cup sides will present their case for the defence.

The continent's sides made a strong showing in South Africa 2010; all five made it out of the group phase, four reached the quarter-finals and Uruguay (who had finished fifth in qualifying) made it into the semis.

Naturally, good things are expected next year when the World Cup finally returns to South America.

But on the evidence of the 2014 qualifiers,  there could be a problem. A common theme of the campaign was teams tended to be better in attack than defence.

It was certainly a headache for Uruguay, who went through a nightmare spell in the middle of the competition when they conceded 15 goals in six games, in a run which at one stage seriously threatened their place in Brazil.

They rallied enough to finish fifth yet again, and qualify for what has become their customary play-off slot. In part this was down to an acknowledgement of their limitations; the defensive unit is ageing, so they dropped deep, with the midfield close to the back line, leaving plenty of space to slip Luis Suarez on the counter.

Against play-off opponents Jordan, it is likely that they will try something more expansive, seeking to score some away goals in Wednesday's first leg. But assuming they make it to Brazil, their approach is likely to be one of caution mixed with counter-attacks.

Argentina, meanwhile, are tipped the other way. Coach Alejandro Sabella said recently that when his team are under fire there are times when all he can do is shut his eyes and pray.

It is a consequence of fielding an attacking trident of Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Gonzalo Higuain, plus Angel Di Maria in the midfield trio. But there are also doubts about the individual quality of Argentina's defenders.

There would seem to be an air of desperation about Sabella's decision, at this late stage, to include three new centre-backs - Facundo Roncaglia, Nicolas Otamendi and Lucas Orban - in his squad to face Ecuador and Bosnia.

And Ecuador, with plenty of defensive problems of their own, have rushed back their most impressive centre-back, Jayro Campos, after a lengthy injury lay-off.

In Colombia all eyes will be on the international debut of Eder Alvarez Balanta, a 20-year-old centre-back with River Plate in Argentina. Left-footed, fast, hard and constructive, he has made a huge impression this year.

After just a few games, club coach Ramon Diaz compared him to former Argentina captain Daniel Passarella. He is understandably raw, but is he ready?

Colombia need someone to emerge in this position; their centre-backs are creaking - approaching 38, Mario Yepes is increasingly vulnerable.

Someone even older is likely to be in goal. An injury to first-choice keeper David Ospina opens the door for 42-year-old Faryd Mondragon - outstanding against England in Colombia's last World Cup match - but that was 15 years ago.

He and Alvarez Balanta are likely to be tested; Colombia are taking on dangerous opponents in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Also throwing themselves in at the deep end are Chile, who visit Wembley on Friday to face England, before flying on to Canada to meet Brazil.

As I commented here in September, Chile are once again likely to become the neutrals' favourites in the World Cup.

They have the same swashbuckling approach that made them so attractive in South Africa 2010, with a generation of players who have moved into their footballing prime.

They are the continent's form side, with five wins and a draw in the final six rounds of World Cup qualification, plus a 2-2 draw with Spain in Switzerland where they were seconds away from a famous win.

Electric little coach Jorge Sampaoli appears to have settled on an attacking trident with quick, talented strikers Alexis Sanchez and Eduardo Vargas pushed wide, and twinkle-toed playmaker Jorge Valdivia employed as a false nine.

This would seem to be the reading of his squad, where all of the conventional centre-forward options have been left out. Full-backs Mauricio Isla and Eugenio Mena are also expected to keep bombing forward as Chile look to play high-tempo football in the opponents' half of the field.

But they can leave themselves exposed. Rather like Argentina, Chile have a dual problem; the balance of the side is firmly tipped towards attack, and the individual quality of their defenders is in doubt - hence the fact Gary Medel, Cardiff City's little pitbull of a defensive midfielder, is normally employed in the back line (where Chile can switch between a three and a four).

He could revert to his natural position if midfield powerhouse Arturo Vidal is not fit to play. Either way, the coming games will be a test of Chilean defensive solidity.

In last month's 2-1 win over Ecuador they had real problems containing the pace and power of Luis Antonio Valencia. On Friday it will be interesting to see how they cope with the likes of Andros Townsend. And should they give away set-pieces, their defending in the air leaves much to be desired.

And then comes the meeting with Brazil - whose magnificent counter-attack has so often proved too much for the Chileans, most notably when it ended their last World Cup campaign in South Africa.

But the mere fact Chile have agreed to face these opponents is an indication of their boldness. Coach Sampaoli is talking up their chances of making real progress in the World Cup.

His team are guaranteed entertainment - we will know a bit more about their chances in Brazil after these two friendlies.