Newcastle United 2 - 2 Liverpool - 19/10/13 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Beren

Guest firetotheworks

I'll have to watch it again because even in the context of the match that wasn't a yellow imo. Utter wishful thinking.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'll have to watch it again because even in the context of the match that wasn't a yellow imo. Utter wishful thinking.

In the context of the game it was a yellow lest the referee be accused of double standards.

Guest icemanblue

What a game that was, man. Really enjoyed it, other than the last ten minutes. The tempo was bang on from the off, which is unusual for the day's early kick off. Actually, it's unusual from us, full stop. Saw a lot of pride and effort from the players out there. They looked as if they really wanted to put the 6-0 right. I think we probably would have done that, if it wasn't for the sending off.

Fantastic goal from Cabaye. There aren't many better players when it comes to striking a ball. Too many standouts to mention, really, but, Tiote and Gouffran really impressed. Tireless in defence and, more often than not, made good use of the ball. The first 40 odd minutes had some very nice football indeed.

Properly chuffed for young Dummet, like. Fantastic to see a celebration like that.

Gerrard was applauded when he went over to take a corner first half, don't know how I feel about that to be honest. I know he's England captain but for f*** sake..

Bah, there's no way our fans should be doing that. And that goes way back to him reffing half the games between the two teams. Standing over the ref screaming at him to send Lee Bowyer off, for example.

This was a very entertaining and high quality match throughout. I enjoyed it. Liverpool were rather poor for large periods. Initially I thought this was to do with international hangover, but they definitely improved when Rodgers brought on Alberto and changed the formation a bit. Moses (who once again was ineffectual centrally) came to life and became a threat, while the front two began to combine at a much higher rate and hurt us with their fantastic movement. Henderson continued doing nothing. We also tired notably at the 70 minutes plus mark, which should be expected with ten players in a competitive match such as this.

The back four and Krul all played very, very well today, imo, which is odd to say in a match where you concede twice. Williamson is literally useless on the ball, but he does his job well when called on to defend. Yanga-Mbiwa was very comfortable and assured until the one moment that changed the game. Football's a fickle game. I thought he was he was our best player until those five seconds. All three fullbacks were class as well. Debuchy was brave and Santon gave a very clean and polished performance. I thought Dummett made and error or two, but he battled throughout in a competitve atmosphere and even went and finished very well at the other end. What else would you ask of an academy lad on his home debut?

Cabaye was fantastic in the first half. Nothing more needs to be said. On a pitch with several stars of this league, he was the best player by a distance. Tiote did exactly what we need of him. He had a few questionable moments, but if he continually plays at this level, he will gain his reputation back quickly. It is a shame Sissoko had to go off because I thought he was just finding himself in the match and would have been large in the second half.

We didn't see so much of the ball, so it was a long day for the attackers, but Remy provided a great outlet to the break and Gouffran ran and fought constantly. Ben Arfa never really could get started and wasn't going to get enough chances to rectify it. Samuel (seyi) came on and once again proved to be the slowest quick person in the world.

We have a good team and Pardew deployed them well today. Things are looking upwards. I hope Taylor is back for Sunderland, we should eliminate them if so.

Gerrard was applauded when he went over to take a corner first half, don't know how I feel about that to be honest. I know he's England captain but for f*** sake..

Bah, there's no way our fans should be doing that. And that goes way back to him reffing half the games between the two teams. Standing over the ref screaming at him to send Lee Bowyer off, for example.

He didn't get applauded like. He got booed to fuck every time.

Playing Ben Arfa as a central striker at least relieved him of any defensive duties, and I think that was half of Pardew's reasoning. That, and we're not getting much from Cisse.

Gouffran put in a lot of good defensive work, but unfortunately, on the one occasion where he ended up in the middle and Benny was back wide right, they got their second goal down that side. It was a shame, because in the second half, up to that point, we looked as likely to score as them.

On the bright side, I was again very impressed with Dummett. I thought he looked very composed and assured.

Entertaining match and a superb effort from our lot - especially Cabaye, Debuchy and Tiote. To get a draw after playing for 50 minutes against a better team with more players is fantastic. I thought the ref was poor, especially with the Skrtel backpass and I still don't like the 'penalty + red card' combination. We played well at times and finally showed some desire - a great setup for next Sunday's war.

:thup:

A very satisfying point.  Krul was fantastic.  And, while Liverpool looked hung over, I thought the team played very well.  Mbiwa was disappointing  in giving away the pen and getting the red card.  However, Tiote looks to be getting back to his old self.  I'm hoping that Cisse's game off helps him get refocused and confident.  I look forward to helping Sunderland going down.

Probably still remember his performance in the 1-5 a few years ago

Entertaining match and a superb effort from our lot - especially Cabaye, Debuchy and Tiote. To get a draw after playing for 50 minutes against a better team with more players is fantastic. I thought the ref was poor, especially with the Skrtel backpass and I still don't like the 'penalty + red card' combination. We played well at times and finally showed some desire - a great setup for next Sunday's war.

:thup:

It's horrible, so many good games have been ruined due to that rule. Only give the red card if the last player tackles a striker on an empty goal or handles on the goal line. Basically if there's a goalie to beat, give only a yellow+penalty for a foul on the box. If MYM does that pull outside the box, give a freekick and a red. Not this double punishment bullshit.

Guest Haris Vuckic

The clapping of Gerrard today was f***ing embarassing. Not saying don't appreciate a good player but f*** me.

I agree when he was applauded off in the 1-5 because he was world class.

Today - nah - fuck him.

The clapping of Gerrard today was fucking embarassing. Not saying don't appreciate a good player but fuck me.

Was it not to do with him scoring to get England to the World Cup?

Even if it was, leave it to pre/post game. Shouldn't be giving any applause whatsoever to opposition during the game.

The clapping of Gerrard today was fucking embarassing. Not saying don't appreciate a good player but fuck me.

Was it not to do with him scoring to get England to the World Cup?

Even if it was, leave it to pre/post game. Shouldn't be giving any applause whatsoever to opposition during the game.

Agreed.

The foul throw boiled my piss today, because even though it was a foul throw, 90% of ones taken are. Including the Liverpool one which followed immediately, where their player had both feet on the pitch.

Be consistent, either give them all of don't give any.

Guest bimpy474

The foul throw boiled my piss today, because even though it was a foul throw, 90% of ones taken are. Including the Liverpool one which followed immediately, where their player had both feet on the pitch.

Be consistent, either give them all of don't give any.

Spot on. Bad throw ins are a special hate of mine.