sunderland 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/13 - post-match reaction from page 47

Dave

I just did with the little things on my keyboard and copious use of the spacebar.... ;)

I'm not after a fucking masterclass man. :lol:

That's good, as you'll be looking in totally the wrong place :lol:

I must have been, as I used the tab key and it looked shit.

Guest bimpy474

I just did with the little things on my keyboard and copious use of the spacebar.... ;)

Oh sorry Leonardo, i wasn't aiming to have it hung in the Louvre ffs.

:lol: Alright Rolf, alright.

Guest neesy111

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/28/newcastle-mike-ashley-alan-pardew?CMP=twt_gu

But it is barely 12 months since Pardew signed an eight-year contract. He would be very expensive to dismiss while Kinnear – who supplied Newcastle's manager with a scouting report on Sunderland before the derby defeat – would be a hugely unpopular appointment. Even so there are suggestions that Roberto Di Matteo, the former West Bromwich and Chelsea manager, is on Ashley's radar.

http://www.my-favorite-coloring.net/Images/Large/Famous-characters-Troll-face-Sweet-Jesus-Face-139477.png (if true)

Guest bimpy474

:lol: Alright Rolf, alright.

Not sure i like this comparison in the light of recent events :lol:

Btw, this was one of the worst games I had ever seen in the PL.  Wasn't one for the neutrals.

That was the main thing I took away from it really, absolutely appalling game.

Yeah, which makes it worse as had we turned up we would had won imo.

I still don't know what I think about it really. It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions about tactics or performance in an environment like that. Even the best teams usually struggle when pressed like that, and struggle to settle into a rhythm when the start of a game is so frantic.

If they hadn't nicked that goal we would probably be just saying "s**** game, I would have taken the draw beforehand". That's how close the margins are.

I might have brought on someone like Anita instead of Shola, to add control in midfield. And put HBA out wide right since Sunderland had no threat down there.

No they don't.

Actually, I think they do.

How come that they usually accrue more points - and beat - the teams that try to do that to them then..?

Its only poorly organized and mentally weak sides that crumble like we did.....

Would actually help if we had a natural winger in our side who likes to get crosses in the box. Once again that's down to lack of transfer activity, i'm not saying Ben Arfa is incapable of putting a cross in the box, he was clearly going solo which was disappointing but at least he was giving it a good go unlike others on the pitch. If we don't learn quickly how to break a side down when they've got men back in numbers, the season isn't going to be pretty. We need to pick our front 3 and stick with it, chopping and changing game to game is not going to get us in any sort rhythm and no awareness for one another will be found.

Would actually help if we had a natural winger in our side who likes to get crosses in the box. Once again that's down to lack of transfer activity, i'm not saying Ben Arfa is incapable of putting a cross in the box, he was clearly going solo which was disappointing but at least he was giving it a good go unlike others on the pitch. If we don't learn quickly how to break a side down when they've got men back in numbers, the season isn't going to be pretty. We need to pick our front 3 and stick with it, chopping and changing game to game is not going to get us in any sort rhythm and no awareness for one another will be found.

Then why suggest that tactic if we don't have the players to execute it?

Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go. He's took matter into his own hands and done it his way. Sure he will have got a bollocking for it but it's just the type of player he is, he's capable of producing that moment of magic to win any game but nothing was paying off for him on Sunday, he couldn't even dribble a few yards without slipping and sliding, the ball is usually glued to his feet but it was like he never had it under control.

Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go. He's took matter into his own hands and done it his way. Sure he will have got a bollocking for it but it's just the type of player he is, he's capable of producing that moment of magic to win any game but nothing was paying off for him on Sunday, he couldn't even dribble a few yards without slipping and sliding, the ball is usually glued to his feet but it was like he never had it under control.

He was asked to play in the middle not whip crossed in :lol:

Doesn't address what I said though does it? We dont have out and out wingers, sunderland were playing with 2 CB's who like to dominate aerially,  but yeah lets whip crosses into to Cisse/Shola.  Or is that all Ben Arfa's fault as well?

I'm not blaming Ben Arfa at all, i thought he was one of a few players actually trying to win us the game. Just at times he picked up the ball centrally and had Santon out wide but was always delaying the pass by about 5 seconds, just wasn't quick enough, he had another off day but can't fault his effort. Was more p*ssed off with Remy the fact he didn't want to know, he's capable of coming deep for the ball but he wasn't interested.

Doesn't address what I said though does it? We dont have out and out wingers, sunderland were playing with 2 CB's who like to dominate aerially,  but yeah lets whip crosses into to Cisse/Shola.  Or is that all Ben Arfa's fault as well?

I'm not blaming Ben Arfa at all, i thought he was one of a few players actually trying to win us the game. Just at times he picked up the ball centrally and had Santon out wide but was always delaying the pass by about 5 seconds, just wasn't quick enough, he had another off day but can't fault his effort. Was more p*ssed off with Remy the fact he didn't want to know, he's capable of coming deep for the ball but he wasn't interested.

:lol: Apropos of nothing.

We did need to cross more and try to get some width to stretch them out. They were happy going compact and we weren't going to play through them. We just ended up trying long rangers instead.

We don't have any brilliant crossers of a ball but out of HBA, Santon, Gouffran and Debuchy, I'm sure one of them could have stuck in a decent enough delivery.

Genuinely don't know what any of that has to do with what I said? I said the tactic was a ridiculous to implement with the players we have. You said "Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go"

We don't have the players for it, so why were we trying to do it? And not only that, it plays pretty much into their hands. Their CB's are slow as f***, should have been looking to exploit that. Screams sunday league "Get the ball into the box"

They were too deep for us to really get behind them in the second. They barely got out of their half. We have massive issues when teams do that as we don't have enough skill and passing to play through numbers and our wide play is poor.

Genuinely don't know what any of that has to do with what I said? I said the tactic was a ridiculous to implement with the players we have. You said "Because you would like to think if you tell Ben Arfa to get wide and whip a few crosses in, he would actually follow your instructions and give it a go"

We don't have the players for it, so why were we trying to do it? And not only that, it plays pretty much into their hands. Their CB's are slow as f***, should have been looking to exploit that. Screams sunday league "Get the ball into the box"

They were too deep for us to really get behind them in the second. They barely got out of their half. We have massive issues when teams do that as we don't have enough skill and passing to play through numbers and our wide play is poor.

But why would you give their CB's the exact type of ball they will be happiest dealing with. Cisse isn't great in the air, neither is Remy. It doesn't play to our strengths at all, we should have pressed them high up. Or played quick on the counter. We did neither

Well, we could have perhaps made more effort to get to the byline and put low crosses in, or tried some early balls to catch them out. I'm only talking second half here, there wasn't much of an opportunity to counter, they were happy to protect that lead as a team in their position would. Pressing should have been much better. I'm not saying we should have gone exclusively to a wide game but varying it would have been a good idea. We're very predictable against teams sitting back.