10 games gone: judge the season so far

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man City away, Everton away, Hull City at home, mackems away- they won't be the last of these woeful performances and tactical incompetencies. If people think that the odd home win against a 'big' team is enough for a club like NUFC, then fair enough, but this season already reeks of mediocrity.

For every one of those though, there's been a Villa, Cardiff, Liverpool or Chelsea. As someone said, we're a "mixed bag".

We're playing some decent football in spells, but we have capitulated a couple of times as well. I think we'll drop a couple of places and finish just outside of the top 10, but it all depends of course on the business we do in January.

Cutting out the long ball crap has been pleasing to see, if we can build on that and add some consistency, it'll be a good effort from those involved given the lack of business conducted last summer.

I can imagine if Sunderland had been our tenth game, answers would have been a lot different. It's been that kind of season so far.

Mediocre.  We shouldn't get dragged into trouble however after last seasons shitstorm I 'll be relieved when he hit 40 points - second last game before we did last season  :anguish:

See where we go from there, reckon we'll finish  somewhere  between 9th-13th

Disappointed with the derby, and a bit concerned about our striking options - that really needs to be addressed in January. But aside from that I'm happy enough with the season so far. 7 of the 8 teams above us have better squads than us imo, but if the players keep developing as a team then I think 8th is a real possibility based on what I've seen so far.

If we were to finish 8th then that would be a league position we have only bettered 10 times in the last 60 years. Its also good to see that the ball is on the floor most of the time, and its reassuring to know that we we're unlikely to suffer any sort of financial meltdown.

Given the shit we have had over the last 8 or 9 years, and the position we were in 4 years ago (no manager, owner wanting out, players wanting out, relegated, losing 6-2 at Leyton Orient and looking like we might be the next Leeds) I will happily settle for that for now. It will do me for next season as well, although after that I'd want to see some evidence that Ashley is looking to develop the club into the force we all know it could be, and I suspect I may well be disappointed on that front.

Looking at the clubs below us, other than Swansea if they get their act together, I don't see anyone who I'd say yeah, they should finish top 8. There's the obvious 6 then Everton. Southampton are currently the best of the rest but there's no reason we can't finish ahead of them.

MotD2, featuring Inochi, Ronaldo, Brett, and Ian. Be entertaining as hell.

Good luck Ronaldo  :lol:

I'd have my analysis out tonight on how amazingly shit Swansea were and where Laudrup fucked up.

Then point out (brag) how Newcastle were excellent yesterday and will finish above them now they don't have the Europe factor this season :)

If we had not have gotten beat last Sunday I would have said good. However since we have and add in the the inconsistent performances it is only decent so far. Lets not forget that are in the top 10 as things stand and I would take that finish now.