Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 30/11/13 - post-match reaction from page 26

Dave

The second handball is the very definition of penalty imo. Regardless the distance the ball has traveled, the hit on the outstretched arm changed the direction of the ball. Penalty every single day of the week, 100 years ago, and today.

I've only seen it from the other side of the ground but I would have felt it was harsh if we had given away a penalty for that.  The only 2 things I was pissed off with the ref for was when Remy went down, it looked like a terrible decision.  And early on when a West Brom player went down and the ref stopped the game when the ball had already gone out for a throw in and the prick started the game with a drop ball when it should have been our throw in.

The second handball is the very definition of penalty imo. Regardless the distance the ball has traveled, the hit on the outstretched arm changed the direction of the ball. Penalty every single day of the week, 100 years ago, and today.

I've only seen it from the other side of the ground but I would have felt it was harsh if we had given away a penalty for that.  The only 2 things I was p*ssed off with the ref for was when Remy went down, it looked like a terrible decision.  And early on when a West Brom player went down and the ref stopped the game when the ball had already gone out for a throw in and the prick started the game with a drop ball when it should have been our throw in.

Don't think it would have been harsh to award a penalty there as Jones' arm was out, despite it being bent at the elbow. As "deliberate" a handball you are likely to see assuming the player doesn't actually think "i'm stopping this with my arm", which apart from Suarez and wor Tayls I haven't seen many do. It would have been a foul for handball outside the box I am sure.

Edit: I'd say it would have been harsh had the shot been from point blank range in relation to the defender. It wasn't in this case, as Cabaye had unleashed a goal bound thunderbastard.

I've only seen it from the other side of the ground but I would have felt it was harsh if we had given away a penalty for that.  The only 2 things I was p*ssed off with the ref for was when Remy went down, it looked like a terrible decision.  And early on when a West Brom player went down and the ref stopped the game when the ball had already gone out for a throw in and the prick started the game with a drop ball when it should have been our throw in.

aye, that was shocking - the ball was already out when he blew for the injury.

also let a wba player off in the second half for a tackle from behind on our left wing near the half way line. not even a talking to, never mind a yellow card.

Also want to know who Sissoko ran to in the dugout after he scored. Looked like Ben Arfa from one of the replays, but not sure.

Anita.

Any known reason? or was he just preparing to come on?

Just good mates, so he ran over to him to celebrate for a laugh and giggle at his own magic.

Looked a stone wall handball at the end from Cabaye's strike, was practically a save. I had 3-1 which may make this a bias post but i love an excuse to have a rant at Dowd anyways let alone shit decisions costing me money.

It was too close to the defender IMO. The shirt pulling on Remy to prevent a certain goal on the other hand was scandalous.

Looked a stone wall handball at the end from Cabaye's strike, was practically a save. I had 3-1 which may make this a bias post but i love an excuse to have a rant at Dowd anyways let alone s*** decisions costing me money.

It was too close to the defender IMO. The shirt pulling on Remy to prevent a certain goal on the other hand was scandalous.

That was at the opposite end to me, looked like Remy had no reason to dive but couldn't see any major pull back. Haven't seen it back though.

Looked a stone wall handball at the end from Cabaye's strike, was practically a save. I had 3-1 which may make this a bias post but i love an excuse to have a rant at Dowd anyways let alone s*** decisions costing me money.

That was at the opposite end to me, looked like Remy had no reason to dive but couldn't see any major pull back. Haven't seen it back though.

Watch it back, it was blatant as anything.

Deserved win, but made hard work of it by sitting too deep in second half.

Gouffran deserved his win bonus for all the hard work he puts in and Sissoko's goal was a beauty but he needs to get into shooting positions like that more often..he is capable of it.

Nobody really played badly and - whisper it quietly - is the fitness coach's work with Shola beginning to pay off...!?? Long time since he lasted 90 mins so well.

Cabaye was the star man, looks every inch the quality player he is.

Keep it going, whittling away the distance needed to be safe from relegation, which is the club's main priority.

sat too deep ? really ?

saw a different game to me mate.

Fwiw I thought Arlo White did great job commentating our match despite his usual mistake or two. He being he voice for the USA coverage he did well to paint the past and present status of the club.

This - agreed.

Deserved win, but made hard work of it by sitting too deep in second half.

Gouffran deserved his win bonus for all the hard work he puts in and Sissoko's goal was a beauty but he needs to get into shooting positions like that more often..he is capable of it.

Nobody really played badly and - whisper it quietly - is the fitness coach's work with Shola beginning to pay off...!?? Long time since he lasted 90 mins so well.

Cabaye was the star man, looks every inch the quality player he is.

Keep it going, whittling away the distance needed to be safe from relegation, which is the club's main priority.

sat too deep ? really ?

saw a different game to me mate.

I always DO see a different game to you....if you can't remember the latter stages of the second half I'm not going to bother reminding you.

I agree. We were fairly comfortable but we definitely retreated deeper, quite noticeably, once Remy went off. Taking him off for a defensive midfielder was an obvious signal and leaving the immobile Shola upfront alone gave us little in the way of an out ball.

Fortunately West Brom, who had shown very little but for a 5-10 minute spell second half, had very little to throw at us and Williamson basically headed away everything that came in the box in the final 10 minutes.

It's working at the moment as a tactic as we are obviously more comfortable (or Pardew prefers) trying to shut up shop even if we only have a one goal lead going into the late stages of a game rather than go all out for another goal.

I mean even though we scored the 2nd on about 60mins, I was pretty confident we wouldn't be scoring any more goals.

There is a reason we haven't scored more than 2 for so long.

I agree. We were fairly comfortable but we definitely retreated deeper, quite noticeably, once Remy went off. Taking him off for a defensive midfielder was an obvious signal and leaving the immobile Shola upfront alone gave us little in the way of an out ball.

Fortunately West Brom, who had shown very little but for a 5-10 minute spell second half, had very little to throw at us and Williamson basically headed away everything that came in the box in the final 10 minutes.

It's working at the moment as a tactic as we are obviously more comfortable (or Pardew prefers) trying to shut up shop even if we only have a one goal lead going into the late stages of a game rather than go all out for another goal.

I mean even though we scored the 2nd on about 60mins, I was pretty confident we wouldn't be scoring any more goals.

There is a reason we haven't scored more than 2 for so long.

That said we score two pretty much every game - and added another goal to existing leads a number of times recently...Chelsea, Cardiff, Norwich that come to mind

Fwiw I thought Arlo White did great job commentating our match despite his usual mistake or two. He being he voice for the USA coverage he did well to paint the past and present status of the club.

Agreed. Really liked his call of the game. Even Lee Dixon was complementary of Newcastle too.