Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Haris Vuckic

Which Newcastle managers ''style of football'' have you liked?

There aren't many to choose from are there? Keegan obviously, Bobby as well. I guess Gullit never really got a chance to show his. We haven't really had any other likeable managers in my lifetime.

TBF to Pardew it's mainly his preference for solid players over technical ones that I dislike.

Aye exactly - we've not really got much to choose from. It's just interesting to see how criteria evolves. :thup:

Nowt wrong with the football played under Hughton.

Yes he made pretty good use of the players at his disposal.

Just one point about Keegan, he proved second time round that he wasn't just a chequebook manager, the squad he had was ageing, fairly crap and heading for relegation. His iron will commitment to passing football along with simple yet effective coaching drills transformed a mediocre team into a well oiled passing unit. Pardew isn't fit to clean his windows.

Disgraceful that a football man like Keegan with his passion, vision, and love for the sport (and our club) can be virtually driven away from the game by egotistical mad men who own the clubs, like Mike Ashley (Tan, etc). Disgusting really.

It was utter shit, as it is at Norwich now. Good man, but enough of this garbage.

You should heed your own advice now and then.

It was utter shit, as it is at Norwich now. Good man, but enough of this garbage.

It wasn't shit, it made best use of the best players we had at the time.

Guest bimpy474

Aye it was terrible seeing some goals, and watching us try for more when we were ahead. Hope we never go back to that madness.

Hughton's football was fine. Never scintillating, but it became increasingly less negative after the second half of the Championship season. There were fleeting moments around Christmas time where I thought promotion might not be won at an absolute canter, but he soon addressed it with good signings and good football. Granted, that year was hardly the best to judge Hughton's footballing philosophy (although he still played the role brilliantly, imo).

It was utter s***, as it is at Norwich now. Good man, but enough of this garbage.

Agree. There's some sort of myth developed that we played "good football" under Hughton. We really didn't. It was based around getting the ball into Andy Carroll (normally in the air) whether from a set piece or open play and opposing defences not being able to handle him. This was especially so in the Championship season, but also applied to quite a few games after we got promotion when Barton was fit again and able to deliver the long ball or set piece. Ask the mackems - we stuffed them mostly using that tactic. Ask Kevin Nolan as well, he was at the business end of quite a bit of it! Tron said above that he used the players at his disposal well - and that's fair enough, but it wasn't pretty. Someone may well feel like saying this post is bollox, but I'm calling it as I saw it.

And just for the record I really like Chris Hughton and believe he did a great job for the club. He took on the job and got us promoted when we needed it and he stuffed the mackems, massive respect for that. But he did not do any of it by playing what is normally defined as "good football".