Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our coaching set up is remarkably poor for a club of our stature. And it's filtered down from the top. We are a big club, simple as that, we should he finishing in the top 6, and challenging for the top 4 spots IMO

how do we know, we know sod all coaches do, think brian kidd and micky phelan, carlos quiroz at man utd. seemed great when they were doing well but in reality we know nowt about how good caoches are.

Pardew's "we're a tiny club" spiel is obviously rubbing off.

Jesus. Did everyone think we were a massive club before pardew strolled in like?

Baffled as to where you got "Everyone thought we were a massive club" from "Pardew's 'we're a tiny club' spiel is obviously rubbing off" mind.

It was your comment about pardews spiel rubbing off. No ones suggesting we are a tiny club. All I'm saying is we are doing well with what we've got. We can't compete with those above us, so I'm unsure exactly what pardew has said wrong?

Pardew keeps on playing the club down, both the quality of it's playing staff and it's spending power. And people are obviously falling for his s*** when they agree that we are "overachieving"

Make no mistake, I'm happy with the job Pardew is doing at the minute and I hope he continues to get the performances out of our players that he has been this season. It just saddens me that people view this as us overachieving.

Overachieving would be us capitalising on some poor form from Man U and Tottenham and breaking the top 4, something which I fully believe would be possible under a different manager. As it happens this may happen, only it'll likely be Everton and not us.

I don't think we are overachieving but I do think the league table portrays exactly where we are as a club right now.

I agree where we are now is about par, especially considering the owner. If it stays the way it's going it's been an acceptable season (providing we're not raped early on in the FA Cup), no more no less imo.

Our coaching set up is remarkably poor for a club of our stature. And it's filtered down from the top. We are a big club, simple as that, we should he finishing in the top 6, and challenging for the top 4 spots IMO

how do we know, we know sod all coaches do, think brian kidd and micky phelan, carlos quiroz at man utd. seemed great when they were doing well but in reality we know nowt about how good caoches are.

Well do you see any marked improvement? I seem to recall carver or stone saying "we need to kick it higher" or something along those lines. I'd put it out there that stone and carver are not top level coaches

who are top level coaches, like I've said, phelan ? kidd ? we haven't got a clue who top level coaches are or what they do. was terry mac a great coach ?

Its not even worth debate. Talking like he did prematch is such a lesser than mentality, as his half time team talks seem to be.

The top sides do not think like that man. Long term it will not produce long lasting self belief, at best it might alleviate some pressure for this season but then what? Then the side s***s itself when they face expectancy before playing bottom placed Sunderland, or we follow up a 5th placed finish by nearly getting relegated. It doesnt work long term, its small time.

Mentioned Martinez on here a few days ago & critiqued him. But what a difference in these quotes:

"This week will have a huge bearing on our season," Martinez, whose side then go to leaders Arsenal on Sunday, told a news conference this week.

We need to know how we are going to play and who we are. We are excited about going to Old Trafford.

"If you are going to be brave and try to win games rather than just being in a position where you want to keep a clean sheet and get through in damage-limitation situations, then you need to be flexible as a player and as a team and play in different ways in the modern game," Martinez said.

"That is the attitude we have had from the beginning."

That very first line shows you the difference, he isnt thinking of reducing pressure. He believes they can handle it & they did.

Far too negative at home for me, but no surprise. We did very well defensively I thought, but we didn't support our strikers at all so not inevitably we didn't look like scoring. 1-0 to them was about right, and I imagine Pardew was happy enough with that. I wasn't too surprised to see us resort to type in the second half with the introduction of Shola and the appearance of our old friend hoofball. It was the only point in the game where it felt like the team was following a practised routine. It's a shame they didn't have two men sent off, then Pards might have plucked up enough courage to push a few players into the opposition penalty area.

Guest bimpy474

Its not even worth debate. Talking like he did prematch is such a lesser than mentality.

The top sides do not think like that man. Long term it will not produce long lasting self belief, at best it might alleviate some pressure for this season but then what? Then the side s***s itself when they face expectancy before playing bottom placed Sunderland, or we follow up a 5th placed finish by nearly getting relegated. It doesnt work long term, its small time.

Mentioned Martinez on here a few days ago & critiqued him. But what a difference in these quotes:

"This week will have a huge bearing on our season," Martinez, whose side then go to leaders Arsenal on Sunday, told a news conference this week.

We need to know how we are going to play and who we are. We are excited about going to Old Trafford.

"If you are going to be brave and try to win games rather than just being in a position where you want to keep a clean sheet and get through in damage-limitation situations, then you need to be flexible as a player and as a team and play in different ways in the modern game," Martinez said.

"That is the attitude we have had from the beginning."

That very first line shows you the difference, he isnt thinking of reducing pressure. He believes they can handle it & they did.

Exactly, Pardew is always tellings us what were not, or the limit of what we are. Never what we should or could be. It's always negative and downsizing, now i dont completely blame him as the owner leads the way. But it always seems to smell of him making excuses for himself. Mind you he cant moan too much, he got in bed with the devil.

Its not even worth debate. Talking like he did prematch is such a lesser than mentality, as his half time team talks seem to be.

:thup:

Can't help us when we're trying to convince our best players to stay here, too. Though I continue to have my doubts as to whether we even care about that ahead of the fee they might command. Liverpool get a lot of mocking on here and I can't say I like them at all, but you can't deny that they're a big club and they act like one. Even when they're doing shit.

http://i.imgur.com/RH3J7Xo.png

Exactly.

I can see 89 of those from my seat when they're showing them on the electronic boards around the pitch.

It's the first thing I see going through the turnstile each week, can see them on the lip of L7 below the away fans.

Saw Norwich against Man U, and even though they really lacked quality in some of the things they did i was actually impressed by their intensions. Lot's of movement and neat attacking moves with many players filling in offensively.

They lacked cutting edge more than anything, but fuckin hell, even Norwich!! looked more fluid in offense than we do in 90% of our games.

That's about the only game i've seen them play though..

Saw Norwich against Man U, and even though they really lacked quality in some of the things they did i was actually impressed by their intensions. Lot's of movement and neat attacking moves with many players filling in offensively.

They lacked cutting edge more than anything, but fuckin hell, even Norwich!! looked more fluid in offense than we do in 90% of our games.

We've played decent attacking football on plenty of occasions this season.

Watched them loads this season, generally do play like that but their final ball is usually gash or finishing. Play football nicely though, out from the back and like you say with good movement.

ok

ok

Thought today we were pretty decent but lacked a bit of spark. Bit gutted because I think if we were a bit more switched on today then Arsenal were there for the taking as they weren't great. Sign of champions so they say though, being pretty poor and grinding out a win.

ok

I want more though...

Shows how far we've come that a loss to Arsenal (or whoever was top of the league in the past) has hit everyone hard. In more recent times it's just been a matter of fact when we lose but now we feel like we can match up to them all over the pitch.

We came up just short today, you could argue many reasons why. Perhaps simply because they have a better manager, or just bad defending for the set piece etc.

But we are definitely a decent side again and shouldn't fear anybody, especially as home.